1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Liverpool V Stoke - Premier league

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Dec 15, 2016.

?

what will occur?

Poll closed Dec 27, 2016.
  1. Liverpool Win

72.7%
  2. Draw

27.3%
  3. Stoke win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

We've conceded 21 goals...

1) Chelsea; 11
    2) Spurs; 12
    3) Saints; 16
    4) Man Utd; 18
    5) Arsenal; 19
    = 6) Man City & Boro; 20

So as I said, only two have conceded significantly less goals <ok>

2. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

You said we could control mistakes by signing better players. Would we eliminate all mistakes by doing that? Or would we still see mistakes and thus, not control them?

Apology accepted mate <ok>

3. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Not worked up at all, just find it amusing that people have such short memories

You are right that we can improve. Every team can improve. No one can do it instantly though and usually the standard you seem expect expect immediately is one that is built up to after years of building.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  4. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

We havent needed to. Everton 1-0. Boro 3-0, Sunderland 2-0

For all the goals and mistakes that have been made it's only made a difference in 4 of or league games, with the only other non wins being 2 0-0 draws.

Everyone kept saying we can't score 3-4 games every game cos it'll come back to haunt us... it's only really the Bournemouth and West Ham game where defence has let the side down in poor results.

The spurs and burnley poor results were due to the attack and two 0-0 the defence did their bit and attack let us down. So overall our forward line have lost us just as many points as our defence really

Zanjinho likes this.
  5. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

Its nothing to do with modern football or my expectations. I was one of the only people not squealing after the Bournemouth game about how badly everything was going. I pointed out that the last time we had a rubbish result (Burnley) we bounced back from it and went on a 15 match unbeaten run (or similar).

Klopp has been here over an year and despite the massive improvements made in attack over this period we have yet to see the same level of improvement to our defensive side of the game. We have improved individually with the additions of Matip & Klavan plus moving Milner to left back but we are still dogged by our goalkeeper problems and our defending as a collective unit still leaves a lot to be desired.

The point is that we need to improve the defensive side of our game otherwise it will continue to undermine us when our attack isn't firing on all cylinders.

6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

<applause>

7. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Agree with all that mate. You seemed to have jumped in at a comment I aimed at Jimmy, he expects players to be robots <ok>

PS...nor did I react to the Ballmouth game like most on here and I recall you saying what you just claimed too

Lucaaas likes this.
  8. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Yes, our mistakes are within our control. Like I said, we need players who make minimal mistakes either by improving them or replacing them. Are you seriously disagreeing with me on that?

Not sure why you keep saying ALL mistakes. I'm sure we've established MINIMISING mistakes.

9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Cleans sheets don't mean that we've made no mistakes. It just means that we haven't been punished.

Not just clean sheets - look at the arsenal game when we were 4-1 up and ended 4-3. It didn't cost us but the defence was shocking.

But I cannot agree with you saying that our forward line have cost us the same as our defence - the attack has carried us this season

10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

If mistakes were under our control we wouldn't make them. Hence them being mistakes. Or do you think our players intentionally make mistakes?

I agree signing better player would reduce those mistakes, but then, my nine year son would have told you that <doh>

11. Jimmy Squarefoot

If players are constantly making mistakes that they can't control, surely you can see that it's to do with their level of ability? Which leads to my argument that the player needs to improve or we replace. And who said it was a quick fix?

Your son is a smart lad - good job he doesn't believe in the crap about players are allowed to make multiple mistakes and not be held accountable.

12. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Well our defence cost us 4 points in the two 0-0 draws. Defence did their part. Forward line arguably cost us against Spurs... did nothing at score a penalty and against burnley not scoring was poor so arguably cost us points there, created no real chances.

Yeah clean sheets may mean we've not been punished for the odd mistake (although no obvious ones spring to mind in those games) but same could be said for the forwards. Their mistakes are not scoring from clear cut chances. How many of them have we missed that could have potentially cost us or have actually cost us?

13. Jimmy Squarefoot

Just edited my last post - just because it doesn't cost us any points doesn't mean that the mistakes are less important. Look at the arsenal and Swansea games - 2 wins but awful defending.

We're the highest scorers in the league this calendar year. Of course we could be more clinical but to say it's an issue or on par with defence is not right. The attack is performing at the level we need them to.

14. Lucaaas

Its the basics not being carried out that is frustrating to watch. Lovren not being goal side against Walters, as an example.

15. Lucaaas

I think we both agree that the defence could and should be better, all players make mistakes I think its just the volume of mistakes we are making that is a bit frustrating.

Zanjinho and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.
  16. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

But that's just not true. That's like saying 1 mistake is better than 2 but context is needed. Is rather make 2 mistakes that lead to two goals in a game we win 4-2 than 1 mistake in a game we lose 1-0. It's like how rather have a forward who scores 15 goals in 15 1-0 wins than 20 goals but only 10 of them making a difference in wins with rest coming in defeat (or #doingalukaku as it's more commonly known)

i dont think anyone diaagrees agrees that ideal world defence wouldn't make issues but no one is perfect so always going to happen. Yes it's minimising then but also making sure that if you make a mistake it's not followed by 2/3 straight away which is generally what happens.

Its not just the defence either. Mane started the issues with the goal yesterday with a poor touch, switching off then failing to close the cross properly.

Like o said, it's easy to pick our defenders mistakes as they often lead to a goal or if chance, but attackers make mistakes as well which can cost the team. We do miss a lot of chances... firm missed a sitter against saints in a 0-0 draw. Does he get the same criticism as Lovren does for not marking a player properly in game that end up winning 4-1? Nope...,

yea our attackers have been great not denying that, but if they had made less mistakes and been more clinical then we'd have more points as they've cost us minimum 4 points in those 2 games ended 0-0 and arguably more against Spurs and Burnley.

17. Jimmy Squarefoot

I'd say I'm more black and white - a mistake is a mistake regardless of context IMO.

We made countless mistakes against stoke, even after we conceded the first. But we won 4-1. Could easily have been a different result.

18. saintKlopp

I enjoyed that game far more than the Everton one. <ok>

19. Jimmy Squarefoot

Always good to spark a debate. My job is complete.

20. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I was just wuming Jimmy mate <laugh>

The defence clearly needs to improve although I'm not as concerned about it as others. The opposition scoring a few makes hashes more "interesting" ;)