1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liverpool V Fulham, 26th January 2011

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by King_Kenny, Jan 25, 2011.

1. AmoomoohereAmoomoothere

So happy this game got cancelled, cant see anything but three points now!

2. James_8

James_8 Member

**** off linesman. Where's that female assistant when we need her?

3. James_8

James_8 Member

In the first half, when Dirk played a terrible pass (you're all probably thinking which one...) to Gerrard which nearly caused somebody to hit Gerrard hard in the tackle, Gerrard got up and turned to Dirk and said, "Thanks for that, Dirk" in a pissed off way.

Dirk was absolutely terrible last night, and he looked like he was lugging a big sack of spuds around on his back. *All hunched over and blowing for tugs. *He looks like he needs a major rest to me.

4. James_8

James_8 Member

Sometimes in football you don't get what your performance deserves, other times you get more than you deserve. No prizes for guessing which category this one falls into. Fulham were well worth a point and we were hanging on grimly for the final fifteen minutes, but whilst Mark Hughes may feel more than a little aggrieved about coming away empty handed it could be argued that our margin of victory would have been much more comfortable had we not been handicapped by the incompetent males running the lines.

Had that goal stood, we may have gone on to win comfortably as we were looking sharp early on. It didn't last though, and we fizzled out as the half wore on. Second half wasn't much better either, and even the goal was very scrappy and more than a little fortunate. We did produce some good stuff sporadically. Most of our best play in the first half involved the full backs. Kelly was marauding down the right and put in a series of dangerous crosses, whilst on the other side I thought Johnson was excellent and was unlucky not to score with a screamer from the edge of the box.

Those two were arguably our best players on the night, with Meireles also continuing his recent good form playing just off Torres. Gerrard was back but didn't look anywhere near his best, hardly surprising given the lack of football he's had in the last couple of months, and Dirk was just terrible. His touch has always been questionable and he does tend to give the ball away quite a bit even when on form, but the one thing he has always brought is energy. Right now he looks absolutely goosed. He's all hunched over and blowing for tugs, and looks desperately in need of a rest.

Along with the increasingly shaky Skrtel, Dirk is the weakest link in the team right now and would surely be the one under most threat should the Suarez deal go through before the window closes. A spell on the sidelines might actually do him some good. He may be a machine, but even machines need to be switched off sometimes so they don't burn themselves out.

Hughes had a pop at Kelly when the youngster kicked the ball downfield after it had gone out of play. He wasn't happy with that time wasting and let Kelly know in no uncertain terms. Yet it was ok for Hughes to time waste by juggling the ball on the touchline to try and show that he's still 'got it' in front of Kenny? He was "Useless" then, and he's "Useless" now.

Kenny's subs were interesting. Once again, Shelvey got the nod even though he initially came on to replace Dirk and play on the right. You have to wonder what's going through Joe Cole's mind right now. When Poulsen ran out of steam and had to be brought off, once again Cole was overlooked as Aurelio was sent on with Shelvey moving central. Clearly Kenny thinks a lot of Shelvey, and I'm all for the way he's trying to bring him through by giving him playing time. I still have sympathy for Cole though, as it looks like for whatever reason his face doesn't fit. There's a Robbie Keane vibe about Cole at the moment, but if we don't bring anybody in then he still has a part to play, especially given the form of Kuyt.

Star man is a toughie. Kelly was very good in flashes, but also had some hairy moments. Meireles did pretty well, as did Agger, but I'll give it to Johnson I think. He's played quite well since being moved to left back, and credit to him for not sulking about having to make way for Kelly.

It wasn't pretty, but it was important. It's three much needed points, it moves us up to the dizzy heights of 7th and we can start looking up rather than over our shoulders. We've got some very winnable games coming up, but Stoke next week won't be easy because I'm sure Tony Pulis will watch the tape from this game and see the problems we had dealing with Haageland from set-pieces. We'll need to play better than this if we are to win that game, but hopefully the weekend off will allow us to be fresher for that game as we looked leg weary in this one.