1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Liverpool FC ban 'Sun' journalists

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Hugh Briss, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

Captainchaos. likes this.
  2. Hugh Briss

A spokesman for the paper said it "deeply regrets" its reporting of the disaster and understands the damage caused was still felt by many in the city.

"The Sun and Liverpool FC have had a solid working relationship for the 28 years since the Hillsborough tragedy.

"While we can't undo the damage done, we would like to further a dialogue with the city and to show that the paper has respect for the people of Liverpool.

"Banning journalists from a club is bad for fans and bad for football."

The newspaper said this was a "new generation of journalists" who congratulated the families on their hard-fought victory for justice.

3. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Wrong board mate

Only kidding

4. Hugh Briss

I seem to recall Newcastle United banning journalists in the not-too-distant past so thought the opinions of the peeps on here would be interesting.

You can be wrong...

5. Captainchaos.

I know mate I was just joking

6. Hugh Briss

And jolly funny it was too! :emoticon-0105-wink:

7. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

Strange how Liverpool fans keep going on about Hillsborough and everything surrounding it but no one ever mentions Heysel Stadium when Liverpool fans caused the death of many Italians. 39 dead and 600 injured and their actions saw English teams banned from Europe competitions for years.

Kryptonite and Hugh Briss like this.
  8. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I guess its the right of every club to ban press and fully understand why they have done it with the Sun. Just dont understand why they waited until now. Obvious time would have been immediately after the inquest verdict in April last year.
    It comes at a time when there is a lot of talk about how to control false and biased reporting in the press and on the internet but this just shows that it has always gone on. Really dont think you can regulate against it - people just have to start learning how to evaluate information they are being given.

9. Captainchaos.

Yes but that wasn't caused by the police who covered it up was it ?

I'm sorry but your comments a disgrace mate

If people dont keep shouting the roof tops off about it there would be no justice in the world

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    JakartaToon likes this.
  10. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

It's slightly bizarre to be honest. To do it after 28 years is odd and one would think that after an apology from the paper people could move on a bit rather than get even more bitter. By all means don't buy the newspaper but banning reporters now isn't the way to move forward in my opinion.

11. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Always concerns me when the "media" are banned. At times, depending on the circumstances, its the right thing to do but this being done now is, for me, a cynical attempt by the Football Club to curry favour with fans.

Main question to answer is, why now? Why not at the time of the infamous report? Why not after the conclusion of the Inquest?

Many in Liverpool wont buy the Sun and i fully understand their reasons why but for the Club to ban the reporters now just doesn't sit right for me.

JakartaToon likes this.
  12. Blacker-than-Knight

I was living and working in Liverpool in 1989 and the depth of anger about The Sun and its reporting of Hillsborough was incredibly intense, I was even spat at and verbally abused by some members of staff for not refusing guest requests for The Sun at the hotel I was working at, as an outsider it is very difficult to understand how much this was taken to heart by all Liverpudlians. Having kept in touch with some people there it is no surprise that the club have done this as the feelings about The Sun haven't changed much down the years and recent events have just brought it all back into sharp focus, I lived and worked there for 2 years and had a lot of fun and made some friends, there is though a darker side to Liverpool's character and the people where grievances are nurtured, overall I enjoyed my time working there but when my company offered me the chance to move elsewhere I took it straight away.

13. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I am a big believer in not wasting your life on negative energy by holding grudges and dwelling on bad ****. Find ways of moving forward.

Sometimes of course that means cutting off the things completely however.

In the case of the media I don't really care too much. They are mainly parasites and have a dark side. There are plenty of sources so no great loss to scrub one. If you ban all media its different of course

14. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

I disagree wholeheartedly, Captain. The fact that there was a cover up by the South Yorkshire police has no bearing on the matter. In the case of Heysel (I won't even give it the moniker of 'disaster' as if it were an accident of some kind) the Liverpool fans killed and injured a number of people from Belgium and Italy. Their actions were malicious and pre-meditated. I accept that they, without doubt, didn't intend to kill anyone that day but they went to the ground with every intention to hurt and, quite possibly, maim.

Hillsborough was a dreadful accident which could have been avoided and was compounded by a police and a political cover-up which made a dreadful situation many times worse. It is clear that no-one went out that day to cause injury in Sheffield whereas it was very clear that a number of Liverpool fans went out to cause violence in Brussels that evening.

That is indisputable as was shown in the court cases which followed.

The action of the club for both incidents are quite staggeringly different. The club went around hospitals visiting the injured after Hillsborough. They erected a shrine to the dead 96 supporters who died at Leppings Lane. As for Heysel, the club did their best to brush it under the carpet. The club never once did anything to try to repair relations, visit the injured or attempt to send a representitive to the funeral of the 39 dead. And, yes, they did put up a plaque at Anfield: only it took them twenty-five years to do so.

A lot of people, myself included, are nauseated by the double standards of the club and the supporters. Justice for the 96, they cry. And, let's not get this wrong; they have every right to cry for justice. But on the other hand they should also expect justice and reparations for the 39 who died in South Brussels. But, no, the club was trying to sweep it under the carpet and even in the Liverpool FC year book the events that night was only mentioned on an inside page of the publication.

To be fair to the fans of Liverpool FC this more of the club's doing than of them. The club should have done something a lot more and a lot sooner because every time I hear someone from the club speak of justice for the 96 who died in Sheffield it sounds awfully hollow to me.

Kryptonite likes this.
  15. Captainchaos.

You can disagree all you like my friend but wrong is wrong and those people have the right to fight for justice and other atrocities are irrelevant to their case

16. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

Which is basically what I said. But to say to someone who raised the question of Heysel that their comments are a disgrace is something that I strongly disagree with and will always do so.

That is perhaps something that we shall always disagree upon.

Gordonthetoony and Captainchaos. like this.
  17. Captainchaos.

And I never said otherwise mate

Let's move on

18. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I've lived in and around Liverpool for a decade. Barely anywhere sells the Sun here and if you were to walk through town or get on public transport carrying it or reading it then you can expect someone to ask you about it. I agree to be honest, the Sun serves no earthly purpose than to generate money through lies for it's owners. Hillsborough aside I'd have it banned just generally. Jakarta is correct that people should be able to filter the news they are given but the thing is they clearly can't.

19. TheDiceMan

TheDiceMan Member

Bizarre. Good statement in reply from The Sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk