1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liverpool fail FFP

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by CFC: Champs £launderx17, Mar 4, 2014.

1. astro

astro Well-Known Member

The source of Liverpool's borrowing has changed since FSG took control and external debt, consisting of money owed to banks, went down to £45.1m from £65m in the club's financial year 2012-13.

That reduction was largely due to an interest-free loan of £46.8m made by FSG. "We could not have a better set of people owning and running the club," Ayre said of the company to which more than 60% of Liverpool's debt is owed. "They want what every fan wants."

Liverpool's bank debt has been reduced by more than £200m since FSG took control of the club from Tom Hicks and George Gillett in October 2010.

Right now it's interest-free which is a big bonus. If it's turned to equity it's a massive bonus. There is no bad news here (for Liverpool).

2. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Being interest free is a bonus as it'll save you the interest charges which were likely to be circa £4m on that sort of amount.

That piece is so PR spun though, as the £200m 'debt reduction' is what they paid RBS for the club when it was in effective administration.

The net debt (whether interest bearing or not) has increased and whilst that's not necessarily bad news in itself, I don't think those accounts are in any way, shape or form 'good'. I think it's pure spin.

They'll get better the year after next no doubt, as the CL revenue will hit. Personally, they appear to this point to be good owners, I just wonder what their long term aims are, as I can't see how they're going to drive a large operational profit out of the business in the medium term.

3. CPofL KTBFFH

CPofL KTBFFH New Member

What am I missing? The debt went down from 65m to 45.1M which is a difference of 19.9m and yet the loan was for 46.8m. So the difference between the loan and the debt reduction amount is 25.9m. What was that used for?

4. Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ. Active Member

5. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

I think the last couple of pages sum up what's wrong with modern football.

Astro you really are an insufferable tosser.

6. KingEric07.

KingEric07. cape wearing twat

That won't do your super dooper rep any good.

Rep <diva>

7. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

This!
    The last two threads of this page could be prescribed as a cure for insomnia.
    Is this seriously why any of you guys watch football?
    All this FTSE 500 bullshit is enough to drive someone to suicide.

There is FAR too much emphasis on football finances and money in general in todays media.
    All this stuff is important, but do we really need to know about it? Can it not be handled behind closed doors like in the old days?
    I wouldnt have a clue, nor would give a sh!t, how much ANY football club makes, including my own, and would only become concerned if it threatened the existence of the club (ie Administration). Otherwise it impacts on my life about 0% and therefore I dont give two f**ks.

8. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

haha it's a fair point. There's so much more in the public domain in the internet age and it sparks interest and debate I suppose.

9. CFC: Champs £launderx17

FFP is a mess and the Yanks up at Anfield are making a right balls up of it, that's for sure.

Arsenal, spurs, Liverpool and United fans have been licking their lips for years when FFP comes in saying Chelsea would be ducked. And maybe we will, but I reckon the 40 odd players we have out on loan can be sold and will be our safety net.

Liverpool spending £35m on stadium plans sounds a bit suss to me

10. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

That was clever tbf, not within the spirit of the rules, but clever nonetheless.

I agree about the RS's 'stadium' write off, there's no way that's actual genuine cost incurred, it simply can't be.

11. Jürgenmeiʃter

Jürgenmeiʃter Top top top top top flirt

Previous yanks made a right balls up, definitely

These ones though are doing a damn fine job

And we haven't all got the luxury of loaning another squad out after snapping up all the best young players have we? Not a dig its the truth

12. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Just to clarify the point; despite Blueshites, Chavs and Clog-Sparkers working themselves into premature ejaculations yesterday, based on an ill-researched and a, frankly, wrong Guardian article, Liverpool will not even be assessed on FFP next season for the CL, should they actually qualify. Ah well boys, you still have that last straw to clutch at. :smiley:

13. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Isnt every team in the CL assessed on FFP? Otherwise how would UEFA know if they are complying or not?

14. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was just thinking that - if he's right then you could just break all the rules in an effort to win it at the first attempt and then get back to normal the year after.

How funny would it be if a team made it all the way to the final and UEFA then turned round and banned them?

15. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

Ignore Donga, he's the resident David Icke.

16. CFC: Champs £launderx17

The thread did not specify a season. Just that LFC were failing FFP

17. Jürgenmeiʃter

Us and Monaco wont be looked as we weren't in European competition this season, I think!

18. CFC: Champs £launderx17

As the rules stand, I think you may be right. Liverpool will be assessed 2011-2014 and then banned <diva><diva> 2015???

Could work well for you, if you qualify for 14/15, and two games a week prove too much for you next season, your ban would only effect Europa League football (15/16), which in turn would help you focus on getting a CL spot again for 16/17!

Not that we are getting ahead of ourselves or anything <laugh>

19. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

What seed will Liverpool be? When was the last time they were in the CL?
    Goes back 5 seasons doesnt it?
    I imagine they will have dropped down to second seeds?

20. Jürgenmeiʃter

Liverpool and other clubs such as Monaco who are not playing in Europe this season will not have to pass Uefa's break-even rule in order to take part in the next Champions League campaign, it has been confirmed. Only the 237 clubs who took part in this season's Champions League and Europa League are currently being assessed.

Uefa has revealed 76 of these are being investigated and face sanctions this summer – including possible disqualification from next season's competitions – if they fail to comply with financial fair play.

Clubs such as Liverpool and Monaco who have not been in Europe face no threat of sanctions this summer for failing to break even. They would be assessed next autumn – along with all the other clubs in Uefa competitions next season – with any sanctions applicable in 2015.

Liverpool this week announced losses of £49.8m up to the end of May 2013, and a further £40.5m over the previous 10 months leading to some concern over whether the club would comply with Uefa's FFP rules.

A Uefa spokesman confirmed to Press Association Sport that clubs not involved in Europe this season will not be assessed until next season.

Liverpool remain hopeful that they will comply despite their losses. The club may be able to write off a loan made by their owners Fenway Sports Group to repay a £38m loan taken out to develop stadium plans by the former proprietors Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The autumn financial review by Uefa will look at clubs' finances over the 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons, plus an estimate of the position over the two years to come.

That means the impact of the new bumper Premier League TV deal would be reflected in the English clubs' accounts.

Manchester City, who have lost £149m in the past two seasons, have the most to fear among Premier League clubs, while on the continent Paris Saint-Germain are also in the spotlight.