1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liverpool after Oxlade-Chamberlain

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Dec 29, 2016.

1. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I might be wrong...so don't take offence ...
    but I think that you don't rate him <laugh>

Fair enough...didn't realise your plan was to rob them!!!

TheBear likes this.
  2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

What ever gave you that idea... <whistle>

3. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Just a hunch...must be spider senses tingling

4. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

You do realise he only turned 23 a few months ago and has been plagued with injuries? If he was 25/26, I'd concede he probably won't get significantly better, but he has time on his side.

5. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Absolutely, like I've said before Chamberlain has all the ingredients. He's quick, sound technically and surprisingly strong for a smaller guy - his issues appear to be mental. There are worse players out there producing better performances.

But let's say Chamberlain doubles his goals/assist tally over the next few years - it's still nowhere near the TOP level! I just cant see the Ox producing the goods with the regularity that is needed to significantly improve our side.

I cant see the point in keeping him.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  6. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Oxocube frustrates me more than any other Arsenal player tbh. He has a high level of natural ability and good physicality and pace to go with it, so he should be able to become a very good player but his end product winds me up so much. He almost always shoots high and crosses high and inaccurately. He also gives the ball away too much and doesn't do his defensive work.

Whenever he messes up you can see him looking so annoyed with himself and it leads to him messing up more. When he is doing well his touch turns to gold. He is definitely a confidence player.

He has added a better final ball this season but needs to do it more consistently and work as hard as our other wingers do.

He is the quentissential example of a player who struggles with the mental side of the game. He comes across like someone much younger than he is, almost like a teenager still. He needs to mature mentally to be capable of reaching his potential. I sometimes feel he is over awed at being at Arsenal and seeing the players he has to compete with for a position.

I wouldn't sell him just yet, at least not to a rival like Liverpool. At 23 a player is still young and it's not until a few years from now that we will really see if he is ever going to make it. In the meantime he needs to take the chances in the team that come his way and if he is still looking the same at the end of the season I'd ship him out on loan and buy a new winger. A really good season on loan to a premiership team where he is playing consistently might be what he needs to gain some proper confidence. But for this season we still need the numbers in the wide positions unless we sign someone.

It's also important we remember the home grown quota. If we can't have a better home grown player than him taking a squad place then we are better off keeping him even if he isn't going to be a regular.

I won't pretend he doesn't do my head in though. He has had some great moments this season but he is infuriating!