1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liverpool after Oxlade-Chamberlain

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Dec 29, 2016.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I've created a seperate thread for this because this looks like it could be more than a rumour, as most reliable news outlets are reporting that Liverpool are genuinely considering making a bid for him in January.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ls-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-in-transfer-window

How would we feel about this? And if you were in favour of selling, what fee would you consider?

Personally, and I know I am completely in the minority here, but I don't think we should sell him just yet for a number of reasons.

I know, I know, but hear me out!

I understand he's struggled with injuries and getting a regular run in the team because of his inconsistency, but he's still only 23 years old and I genuinely think under a different manager he would thrive. He has the raw attributes to succeed at this level. Pace, power, strength, he is underrated technically and has good dribbling skills. Obviously he has some flaws to iron out, but if Wenger leaves at the end of the season (and baring in mind that, as it stands, he doesn't look like renewing his contract), our next manager can implement a fresh approach where Ox would show us what he's capable of.

If Klopp gets a hold of him, he could be the player we all hoped he would be, only he'd be doing it in a Liverpool shirt. For this reason, I'd rather not sell him to our Premier League rivals if we are going to flog him off.

Another factor we need to consider is the homegrown quota. In order to fulfil this requirement of having 8 out of 25 homegrown players, I'd prefer we keep someone like Ox who is a useful English player to have in the squad. In spite of his indifferent start to the season, he still has 6 goals and 6 assists so far - and that's without being a guaranteed starter.

Finally, what would be the point in him leaving for Liverpool? Most fans have said Klopp wants him as back-up to Mane. What would be the point in going from one bench to another where he'd most likely get even less game time than he does now?

Now - let me just finish by saying the premise of this article is under the assumption that Liverpool offer a fee under £35m. If they offer anything in the region of £35m or above, I think it's something we'd have to take into serious consideration so long as we have a replacement in mind because I don't know how wisely we'd re-invest the money.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Keep. It would only weaken us by selling him. He might not be consistent yet, but he's shown enough to show that he can have an impact in this team.

3. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I'd sell but not to Liverpool. Klopp would get him good. PSG for £40m?!

4. BrunelGooner

But this is the thing - Wenger's contract expires in 5 months and he's not given any indication of re-newing. So if this (hopefully) stays the case, would it not be better to keep Ox for another year and then see how he fares under a new manager? Because as you say, Klopp would probably get the best out of him, so perhaps a new manager would have a similar effect.

5. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to take Ox to Liverpool, quality young player with all the tools, if moulded/given time could be a real star, maybe Klopp is the type of manager to get the best out of him, who knows!

But, I don't think this as any chance of happening, would be foolish to weaken your squad (not necessarily your first 11 when all fit) to strengthen ours.
    Plus, those at the Emirates have most likely not forgotten the Suarez comments by our Owner, non-starter for me!

6. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Wenger will clearly sign a new contract

7. BrunelGooner

I'm not sure. I think it depends on how we do this season. If we have another season like the last one, he'll leave IMO. If we get top 4 and win a cup, he'll sign on (though I still think he should leave regardless of what he does this season).

8. JonnyBaws

FYI, Klopp in his conference today said we're not in for Ox..

Jurgen Klopp on Oxlade-Chamberlain: "Usually I don't say anything about transfer rumours, but I can make an exception. This is nonsense."

BrunelGooner likes this.
  9. BrunelGooner

I guess we'll have to take his word for it, but it makes you wonder where a lot of the media like Sky, The Guardian, Telegraph etc get this information from and how reputable their sources are if they get something like this so wide off the mark.

10. JonnyBaws

Like others have said, could be his Agent making up stuff and feeding it to Jurno's that do the "Liverpool beat.." for their papers, therefore giving it some form of credibility.. in the hope that Arsenal offer him a new deal?
    However, given who you lot have got, likely to get and with the emergence of Iwobi and the return of Welbeck and the Carzola, the best he can really do is the bench?
    So would he want a new deal if it meant he's still be warming the bench?
    To be fair, on current form, he wouldn't get in ahead of Mane, Coutinho and Firmino, then there's Origi and Sturridge too, so he'd have gone from one bench to another.

11. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

He needs to move to a team like Everton to get game time.

He's not a top 4 player, simple.

TheBear likes this.
  12. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Oh well. Personally wouldn't be bothered at all if we did sell him.

9/10 games he's mediocre.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  13. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

If Arsenal willingly sell to a top 4 rival then they are ****ing mad...it's one thing when a world class player goes on strike etc but to willingly strengthen a title rival is insane.

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agreed. It wouldn't be the first time we've done it either. I'm generally supportive of Wenger and the board, but the decision to sell Van Persie to Man Utd was a ****ing abomination. We basically handed them the title that season.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  15. remembercolinlee

Never got that sale...we were forced to sell Keane, Berbatov, Modric and Bale cos they all demanded to go . I got why you had to sell Henry, Fabregas, Adebayor, Clichie and Nasri cos they pretty much did the same (Henry and Bale were respectful to our clubs in general though) but RVP sale was simply bizarre...it was like a favour to United!

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It was an error of judgement on Wenger's behalf. He basically put Van Persie's needs before the club's. If Van Persie was so determined to leave then we should have sold him abroad, or kept him for another season and then let him go on a free. We made ourselves look like mugs selling him to Utd.

17. TheBear

I think the point is Chamberlain isn't good enough.

I would play .. Sanchez, Perez, Walcott, Iwobi,Wellbeck and Campbell ahead of Chambo. If we can get £20-30 million for him then why not sell?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  18. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Exactly.

Liverpool would play...Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Origi, Sturridge, Lallana ahead of Chamberlain.

The transfer makes no sense whatsoever, hence Klopp saying it's nonsense. He'd do well at any of the clubs outside the top 6 though. Everton, Southampton et al.

19. remembercolinlee

Because he'd strengthen a rival imo

20. TheBear

With a player who scores 3 goals a Season and barely gets any assists?

They are welcome to him.