1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Little Aherne-Grant

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Oct 17, 2015.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Sorry son, I know you are 18 and all that, but you are about as far from being a Championship footballer as I am from dating Cheryl Cole.

A little boy lost at this level. An indictment of these Belgian pounces that he gets a game every week.

2. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

I wasn't there today so I'll take your word for it that he was poor, but I saw him at Cardiff and thought he looked decent then. As you point out, he was completely isolated up front so perhaps it's not entirely his fault he looked lost. This is certainly a tough situation for a youngster to be coming into; I remember how uninspiring Carl Jenkinson looked when he came in to our struggling League 1 team, and look where he is now (I'm not saying that KAG will go that far).

Perhaps I'm a little too desperate to cling to any vague positive though. And I do agree with your last sentence.

3. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

OK I wasn't there, but it seems unnecessary to devote a thread to slagging off this player who turned 18 3 weeks ago. Hardly his fault that we've bought a load of crocks who are ahead of him in the pecking order except for the fact that he's the only one who is 100% fit.

Scratchingvalleycat and The Kish like this.
  4. Scratchingvalleycat

Scratchingvalleycat Active Member

nick
    I was not there but your digging out a young player who is trying his best for the team shows a myopic view of what is wrong with club. yes he may have been outplayed today but so were the rest of the team. what is wrong is that we dont have Kermorgant up front because the Flems sold him, nor do we have Stephens for the same reason.Laying the blame at youngsters feet is fundamentally wrong and the best way to ensure that they want away as fast as possible.
    Your conversations with others at the ground may have all agreed that they want the Flems out but i can guarantee that you didnt discuss how to put together the funding to buy out Duchatalet. i am afraid that your digging out KAG is sounding like nigel Farage blaming the weather on membership of the EU

Ken Shabby and The Kish like this.
  5. User deleted as requested

And it is somehow very 'Charlton' to blindly defend academy players clearly not yet good enough. Never mind scoring, KAG lacks pace and cannot hold the ball up. He should currently be learning his trade on loan in League Two.

Regarding the 'digging out ' comment - one little cameo from yesterday. We finally got a corner in front of our fans after about an hour. KAG rushed to take it with nobody in the box ! I watched Jackson, who screamed at KAG and held his hands up for him to stop. JJ then looked around the pitch for Bergdich, who was still on the half way line, and literally pointed to him to go and take the corner. He then gestured to KAG angrily to "get in the box" . Comical, disorganised, but Charlton in 2015.

KAG is fair game because fans pay top money to watch him, and at the moment his all round game is not up to it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  6. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Don't you mean .... from dating Jenna Coleman....?

Oh and isn't it Cheryl Fernandez now?

You are quite right that KAL shouldn't be playing the lone striker role at 18 years old, playing against two adult centre halves is difficult enough for an experienced centre forward but for a 18 year old with 10ish games in his locker it's madness! He should be learning his trade in League two with an eye to playing for the first team next season.

7. User deleted as requested

Piggot is currently a better bet for us playing 4-5-1 than KAG.

That's Lester I hasten to add, not Joe <cheers>

DonCorleone likes this.
  8. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

I don't think you can blame KAG for the fact that Douchebag and Meire have not assembled a squad that is anywhere near good enough to stay in this division. KAG should not be playing at this level and it is not doing his development any favours playing upfront on his own. He should be learning his trade on loan or with the U21s.
    We are an embarrassing shambles at the moment and are dropping faster than Jordan's knickers.
    If we lose the next two home games we are in deep ****.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  9. User deleted as requested

But going back to KAG's performance yesterday Dick, I agree that the lad gets no help or service, but surely we are entitled to expect some basic centre forward play ? I am talking about getting your body between the CH and the ball, and holding it up. Yesterday we had absolutely no target to aim at. Our defenders look up, see no movement or target, and are forced to tap it sideways.

10. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Nick, KAG is not a hold up centre forward, he plays best attacking the goal rather than with his back to it. He would be a much better player playing alongside a Big Mc

ForestHillBilly likes this.

11. User deleted as requested

I am talking about KAG being able to do the basics, yesterday he wasn't even attempting them.

AHLL - do you remember Garth Crooks and Paul Williams from our teams in the 80s ?

Neither were the biggest physically, but both could take a touch, hold the ball up, and link the midfield to the attack. KAG cannot do that, even allowing for his age.

Paul McShane is not the quickest by any means, but he had his cigar lit against Aherne Grant yesterday. Only at Charlton with our Corinthan, rose tinted pro Academy view, do some fans put up with it.

A boy doing a man's job. Badly.

12. ForestHillBilly

Why devote a thread exclusively to focus on the shortcomings of a player who turned 18 3 weeks ago? I would not have expected this from someone who has teenage sons themselves.

The Kish likes this.
  13. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I feel sorry for him. Starting your career should be the happiest time for a young lad - living out your dream.

However the club are failing another player. It's not just Nick bringing up KAG. He's getting panned on social media and in the stands. I fear long term damage is being done:

14. ForestHillBilly

Like Joe Pigott's debut against Millwall? Not surprising players take the easy option and pass backwards and sideways or hide behind their marker like Rommedahl used to. You get less flak that way.

Scratchingvalleycat likes this.
  15. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

KAG was one eleventh of a poor side yesterday. He is horribly exposed by the hierarchy's lack of investment and will do well to recover from this experience. Just another example of abysmal management and ownership.

Perhaps Sarr or another central defender (come back, Bikey!) should retrain as a striker - a sort of Paul Warhurst experiment. I'd rather that than see the sacrificial lamb of young Karla.

Ken Shabby and ForestHillBilly like this.
  16. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Strange but true - Paul Warhurst (Blackburn days) was one of my favourite players.

I appreciated the shout out.

DonCorleone likes this.
  17. User deleted as requested

Disappointing that you have replied like this. If they pull the shirt on and we pay to watch them, we are entitled to comment. I am the first to accept the constraints under which KAG is forced to play, but seemingly if he is an Academy product we are not allowed to knock him. Even when he is krap.

18. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Chucking a boy to do a mans job is no reflection on KAG, IMO.

19. ForestHillBilly

Of course, but to devote a thread, with "little" before his name (he's not) is entirely the wrong tone IMO.

20. User deleted as requested

The little referred to his performances.