1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lineker

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by rokerparka, Jan 12, 2017.

1. rokerparka

rokerparka Active Member

Tributes pouring in for Graham Taylor,c'mon Lineker bury the hatchet and give him the tribute he deserves

Nostalgic likes this.
  2. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Has done it through social media:

'I will be eternally grateful to him'
    Graham Taylor tributes

Posted at9:31

Follow
    please log in to view this image
    Gary Lineker

✔@GaryLineker

Very sad news that Graham Taylor has passed away. An outstanding manager, lover of football and thoroughly decent man.

5:27 AM - 13 Jan 2017

In a later tweet, Gary added: "He made me his England captain and I will be eternally grateful to him for giving me that honour."

Share this post on

Nordic, LAMackem and Nads like this.
  3. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I wouldnt have buried the hatchet. Taylor knew exactly what he was doing that game, Pure nastiness.

4. Nostalgic

Have you read the reasoning behind the substitution?

Gil T Azell likes this.
  5. Nostalgic

Just to clear everything up for Taylor, maybe Lineker can have his say later:

Graham Taylor: Why I substituted Gary Lineker
    please log in to view this image

Taylor was the manager of England in February 1992 when he called up the 21-year-old Southampton marksman Alan Shearer for his England debut against France at Wembley. And caused shock-waves by leaving out Gary Lineker to make way for him.

Today’s revelation by the much-maligned former international manager sheds new light on the so-called feud that was supposed to have simmered between him and Lineker and culminated with the nation’s top marks-man being substituted by Taylor in his last game for his country.

For the first time in seven years, Taylor discloses: “Before the Wembley game with France, Gary Lineker informed me he was going to retire from the English game at the end of the European Championships that summer. He told me about his plans to play in Japan but asked me not to say anything about it, publicly. I didn’t and haven’t. I kept faith, I kept that confidence and I took a lot of hits. I suffered criticism because I took the opportunity to look at alternatives – Shearer and Sheffield Wednesday’s David Hirst.”

“Here was me, leaving out captain I had appointed after he put me in the picture about his intentions – and I couldn’t explain my reasons.”

“A great deal was made of my withdrawal of Lineker in our last game of the tournament in Sweden. I took a lot of stick over that but I will maintain, until the day I die, that was a purely footballing decision.”

“When he told me about his planned retirement I’m sure he didn’t want to miss any international matches and expected to play in the game against the French.”

“I am also pretty sure that was where the public perception started — the feeling that I had a difficult, problematical personal situation with Gary. The truth is I never had a problem with him, but the impression has remained all this time.”

“When he told me he was finishing England that summer, it we an appropriate moment for me to look at the younger candidates and shearer was one of them.”

“In fact he scored on his debut and Lineker scored the other as a second-half sub and we beat a French side who hadn’t lost for three years.”

smithy in nl and Gil T Azell like this.
  6. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Explains some of it but not all. Poor reasoning imo to remove him from what could have been a history defining moment.

Obviously I can appreciate Lineker saying what he did but I would still have been bitter.

7. Nostalgic

I can understand the reasoning, but it does show just how much we do not know about the backroom decisions. Sentiment and football not mixing.

Burly Hurley and Gil T Azell like this.
  8. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Just goes to show how short term decisions can decide a life time for everyone's viewpoint on life.

Its sad that a country like ours can view a man's lifetime on a game of football.

Nostalgic likes this.
  9. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I suppose it depends if you're willing to accept the image of a person that the various media sources create or if you're willing to make your own mind up. Based on his punditry work, I got the impression that Graham Taylor was a very knowledgeable, interesting, articulate and pleasant man, even if he was a little stuffy and old fashioned. However, many people's opinions of him are based on reports in the Sun 'newspaper' and a heavily edited documentary.
    Its the same with Jeremain Lens. People are willing to cast him as a villain based on second hand reports of a report originally published in Turkish. Its entirely possible that there is an element of what was actually said having been lost in translation. While what he said is somewhat disrespectful, if that is what he said, its actually entirely true. We are relegation candidates and it would be easier for him to leave if we were relegated. Plenty of people on here think David Moyes is wonderful for telling the truth; why's it so awful when Jeremain Lens tells the truth?
    Anyway, I digress. Graham Taylor poorly treated by 'journalists'; good football manager.

10. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

His friends and family, and Watford FC will see him as a great man.

Who are we to question that!

The Norton Cat likes this.