1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liam Fontaine

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by RedStripe, Aug 23, 2011.

1. RedStripe

RedStripe Member

Hi Robins, apparently we may have put in a bid for Liam Fontaine. Just wondering what your views are of him and what you think he is worth.

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

3. Lan Logger

Lan Logger Well-Known Member

4. ashtonmadness

ashtonmadness Member

Didn't see that coming, we are short of decent defenders, he is quick, and when playing with a tough tackling c /b can distribute ok. Never been sure of his positional sense and rarely dominate's a game but will do a job.

5. EnderMB

EnderMB Well-Known Member

Fontaine is a solid defender, although I doubt we'd sell without good cash as we still require at least two defensive signings to complete the back-four.

6. RedStripe

RedStripe Member

maybe we can send you a LB down as part exchange....we have a few of those.

7. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

he is a really good defender, and does shine even more if he has an experienced tall and strong defender next to him, fonts in the CB that will run up the pitch with the ball good in the air and with he feets, he can adjust to left back if need be, and he chips in with the odd goal or two, would be a good but for the saints but hes needed here so probs this is just BS

8. ashtonmadness

ashtonmadness Member

Have heard 2.2 + Seaborne. No nothing about him is he any good? I think though that is a good offer t b h, take Hunt off our hands as well and he is yours!

9. OfficiallyRed

OfficiallyRed Member

Jog on Southampton! Fontaine is staying put, why would our captain leave us for a newbie in this league who arnt any better than we are? that plus we need all the defenders we can get! wheres the logic?

10. saintadam1981

saintadam1981 Active Member

I think someone needs to do a little research on other clubs,if you researched saints a bit more you'd realise that we are a club going places and not one that will be in the championship for years to come.That is probably a good enough reason for fontaine to leave.

11. sfc94

sfc94 Member

The Seaborne exchange wouldn't surprise me but the fee seems a lot. Seaborne is a confidence player, he will play a blinder one match and then have a shocker. He is left footed as well which I believe Fontaine is as well?

12. OfficiallyRed

OfficiallyRed Member

Oh god, dont tell me we've got another club in this division who go by their HISTORY to try and win a argument? all i see is a newbie who have got off to a good start based on momentum for winning promotion from lowly league 1, your bubble will burst soon and you'll be a bog standard Championship club, if that! cant wait till we thrash you this season.

13. saintadam1981

saintadam1981 Active Member

Just proves my point that you know nothing about us and i didn't say anything about our history,i'm talking about what the club is about at the moment,it's about a chairman with lots of ambition which most saints fans believe he will see through.Maybe ask on the saints board to find out more.

14. Lummiepie

Lummiepie Member

I rate him, though he lacks any form of leadership quality. If you play him along side a big man that wins headers and can help him continue to learn the trade you will get a dependable left sided centre back, who can play a bit.

He does seem to be injured a lot though.

Personally we need freshening up and if we can trade him out for a defender or two and/or some money then its alright by me.

Are you sure you wouldnt prefer Damian Stewart?

We have Lewin Nytanga who is very similar, not sure if I would say better, but deffinetly similar.

I hope that one day through the wonders of medical science we could get another few years out of Shaun Taylor...... now that was a centre back!

15. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Fontaine would join us because we have a 5 year plan which is very much on course. Great chairman and manager, money to invest, and one of the best traning grounds and academys in the country. Oh ye and we are currently top of the league with a 100% record. Whats so attractive about staying at Bristol city?

16. Lummiepie

Lummiepie Member

We have 60 stone WOW! Gorillas and he wont go until he finds them all!!!

Seriously though, I dont think Southamption are any further ahead of Bristol City in the grand scheme, but what it sounds like they do have is a little cash going spare. The currency of football these days is actual currency, if they can agree a price with City then the deal will be done. The player will get a wage rise and a contract extension and his moving will have nothing to do with the potential of the clubs.

This potential move came out of the blue today but if someone had said the club making the bid was Sheffiled Wednesday I would still assume he would go, not for the glory, but for the chance to reestablish himself in a first team with an improved contract.

He will just stay if you offer him less wonga.

17. EnderMB

EnderMB Well-Known Member

Just over a year ago plans for our new stadium were coming along nicely, we had one of the most sought after managers in Coppell and we'd landed England goalkeeper David James. Even the BBC expected us to be in the Premier League very soon.

I expect Southampton to do well this season, but it's still very early days and it doesn't take much to throw a season off-course.

18. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Think we could do better to be honest. I'm sure he is good championship player but just dont want him.

19. Lummiepie

Lummiepie Member

I am 29 and Southamption have been **** for as long as I can remember, they were **** in the Prem for a bit, but at no point were they ever good, I am sure they wouldnt try and trade on their history as you would be going back some to find sucsess.

Matt Le Tissier scored some pretty tasty goals for a big nosed fat bloke though.

20. ashtonmadness

ashtonmadness Member