1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leyton Orient V PNE

Discussion in 'Preston' started by theflyingplumber, Sep 28, 2011.

1. theflyingplumber

Northenders (and Orient fans)

On Saturday Northend continue on their travels in their quest to find a route back to the Championship. The next stop will be down in the Capital again, this time calling at "The Matchroom Stadium" in the East End of London "Leyton".

Orient currently languish at the bottom of the League and have yet to win a game so far this season, but more of that later on for now let's take a look at Leyton Orient's club history.

Leyton Orient are nicknamed "The O's" and "The Chicken Orientals"..:)
    Team colours are Red and White shirts and Red shorts and socks.

Leyton Orient was originally formed by members of the Glyn Cricket Club in 1881, many of whom were former students of Homerton College. Members of the cricket club formed a football team for the purpose of keeping fit in the winter months. In 1888 the club changed it's name to Orient, and in 1898 changed the name again to Clapton Orient.

The O's are the second-oldest league club in London behind Fulham, and the oldest London club playing in the Football League following Fulham's promotion to the Premier League. They played in the 2nd Division of the Southern Federation's League in 1904, joined the Football League in 1905 and are the 24th oldest club currently playing in the Football League.

The Club moved to it's current home in 1937 and the name Leyton Orient was adopted following the end of the Second World War, this was followed by yet another name change in 1966 back to "Orient again". BUT the club finally reverted back to "Leyton Orient" in 1987.

Throughout the clubs history it has been beset by financial problems but yet the club has survived. Leyton Orient's home ground Brisbane Road is officially known as the Matchroom Stadium after club chairman Barry Hearn's sports promotion company. Hearn became chairman in 1995 after the club was put on sale for £5 by then-chairman Tony Wood, the period of the club's near closure was covered by the television documentary Orient "Club for a Fiver".

Orient have a long, proud and detailed history and for those wishing to learn more follow the link at the end of the article.

Very worthy of mention : The 1914–15 season was the last football season before the League was suspended due to the outbreak of the First World War. 41 members of the Clapton Orient team and staff joined up into the 17th Battalion Middlesex Regiment (the Footballers' Battalion) the highest of any football team in the country and the first to join up en masse. A remarkable record by any stretch of the imagination and one that the club can be proud of.

Orient's golden years were in the 1960s and 1970s. In the 1961/62 season Orient were promoted to the top tier of English football, the First Division (now the FA Premier League), for the only time in their history, after finishing second in Division Two under the management of Johnny Carey. The team struggled in the top flight and were relegated from the top division the following season. Nonetheless, they did defeat local rivals West Ham United at home. They spent the whole of the 1970s in Division Two. In 1972 Orient achieved one of the most famous results in their history - coming back from 2-0 down to beat Chelsea 3-2 in the FA Cup 5th round. In 1978 Orient were defeated in the semi final of the FA Cup, the furthest they have progressed in that competition.

History link :

http://www.leytonorient.com/page/HistoryIndex/0,,10439,00.html

Saturday: Some will say that this is a potential banana skin game for PNE but from what I have seen so far in this League, every game is a potential banana skin. The O's have made a poor start to the season after ending last season one place (7th) outside of the playoffs, but it is early days as yet for both teams and things can change very quickly. Orient will be seeking to make life as difficult as possible for the Lilywhites and gain their first win of the season. Northend currently lying in second place have to continue showing their fighting spirit and must not take Orient lightly, if they play as they can and have been doing they can extend their winning record to eight games on the trot. I believe that they will, but once again it will not be as easy as some may think.

Over to you supporters, what do you think about this second top V bottom clash. Post your comments on this thread.

2. theflyingplumber

PNE reserves beat Tranmere reserves 2-1 at Prenton Park tonight, Daley scored both of the goals and got a full 90mins under his belt..:)..on the bench on Saturday..???
    Devine also played following his return from injury which is good news, but Comrie the keeper injured his hand and had to be subbed. I wonder how close Turner is to recovering from his broken toe ????..could be a keeper problem if both are unfit.

:)

3. finneyfan

finneyfan Member

you would think an easy win but we all know how PNE "suffer" at the hands of teams well below them.
    Seems to be much more belief and confidence about the team this year so I'm gonna stick my neck out and say a win AND a clean sheet, now that is a rarity :)

4. smith_pne

smith_pne New Member

A banana skin, yes... but as I have said previously, I really do think that the boys have the belief and the ability to keep the run going on Saturday, and with that make a real signal of intent to the L1 high fliers and potentially take the top of the table slot if results go our way. I don’t envisage an easy game, but I too think that the defensive problems of Tues night will be addressed and a clean sheet is in order. 2-0 to the Whites, Mellor is on fire and will continue scoring, whilst Daley could come on as sub and put it out of sight with a second.
    Plumbs, I thought your points after the Wycombe match on full-backs was interesting. I would actually bring Parry back in, he is having as blinding season and I wasn’t convinced Smith is ready as per Tues night. As for Conor, I think it would set him back if Brownie was not to show faith in him and start him against Orient. Gray will have to bide his time I think....
    Anyone know how many tickets we have sold? I have managed to get three mates involved who are followers of Arsenal, Chelsea and Palace respectively so hope it’s a good match! We are starting at the Wetherspoons in Liverpool Street with a fry up and a pint, and then on to the new bar at Westfield in Stratford and potentially the Coach & Horses in Leyton if we get time. Either way, will be a top day out as always...

5. markos50

markos50 New Member

Always had a soft spot for some of the less well off London clubs, LO being one of them. There is no easy match, we all know that and The Orient will be up for this one. Again a point will be ok, with 3 a great result. Lets not forget we will lose somewhere along the way, so if we do, we need not to beat ourselves up about it. Having said all that i'm going for a tight 2-1win to the whites. Would like to Ashby play and give us a bit of bite in midfield as Tranmere ran right through us.
    We are 5 points ahead of my predicted points tally at this stage, things are looking good....lets just keep thinking 50 points and go on from there.
    UTW

6. theflyingplumber

I have read somewhere in a Phil Brown article were he was suggesting CM will play against the Orient as he deserves his place, and every fullback meets a winger during the season that is difficult to play against. In other words he had a bad night at the office and that shouldn't lose him his place, so I think that he will play. The question on Smith V Parry is a difficult one for me as Smith was brought in as a left full back to play, he was the link that was missing from the PNE defense. He can only become match fit by playing after his layoff, and yet Parry has done extremely well as a stand in full back although he has had a couple of games recently when he has struggled a bit. Have to say that these are the kind of team selection problems that every manager likes..:)

Many fans firmly believe that we should be playing 4 4 2 formation (I am among them) as the two fullbacks are not getting the protection in front of them that they should have, this is one of the reasons that both fullbacks have been caught out on several occasions. PNE are conceding too many goals and relying on the team scoring more than they concede. What doesn't help is that we still dont have an out and out ball winner in midfield. Alexander does not get many tackles in but Ashbee does when he is fit, Alexander is playing extremely well and his team contribution is very good other than the tackling side of his game.
    Having mentioned playing 4 4 2 the fact is that Northend are second top in the league, and on a great run of wins playing 4 3 3 so now is probably not the time to change things. We have players like Mayor and Daley and Parry who could play wide in a 4 4 2, and cause opposing sides problems. Provided that the right players are on the bench to bring on, the system can be changed at any time to get the right result. Only having 5 subs allowed on the bench is not working in Northends favour INHO.

All these stops at the watering holes on the way to the game wont adversely effect your ability to give a match report will they Smith..<laugh>
    I hope both you and your mates enjoy the game and the mates are suitably impressed by both PNE and the away support. A win for PNE then..<ok>

7. theflyingplumber

Afternoon marcos..<ok>
    Yes we will lose sooner or later and knowing how fickle some of the Northend fans are, all the negativity will be back on some of the forums (not this I think), completely forgetting how they were worried at the start of the season with some even mentioning a relegation battle..<laugh>.
    Interesting that you should mention Ashbee as I have mentioned him as well and for the same reasons, wish we had a Greegan in the midfield now that would guarantee a top two finish..<laugh>.

8. theflyingplumber

Strange how Northend on so many occasions have shot themselves in the foot and on other occasions have risen to the occasion when all appeared a lost cause..<laugh>. If you are a Northend fan you will never ever become over confident the club just wont allow it. :) You are sticking your neck out by the way.
    But so am I as well, we never learn.

9. smith_pne

smith_pne New Member

ha ha. I think Saturdays match report could be my best yet :laugh:

10. theflyingplumber

"ha ha. I think Saturdays match report could be my best yet"

Famous last words sez TFP...<laugh>

Hope that you are right though..<ok>

11. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

good luck to preston hope u beat orient and do us a favour

12. theflyingplumber

I am sure that Phil Brown's Liliywhite army will be doing everything they can to oblige...<ok>

13. BasildonO from that London

14. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Two changes for North End, Gray and Parry instead of McLaughlan and Smith

15. theflyingplumber

When my Mrs was watching East Enders last nigh it was raining...?????...<laugh>

Had a look at the forum that you use, seems ok but I am happy enough on here. Enjoy the game...<ok>

16. theflyingplumber

PB had suggested that McLaughlan would keep his place, but maybe his confidence has been badly dented.

<OK>

17. theflyingplumber

Todays Teams.

PNE: Arestidou, Gray, Carlisle, Hume, Coutts, Proctor, Nicholson, McLean, Parry, Alexander, Mellor.
    Subs: Ashbee, Tsoumou, Smith, Mayor, Turner.

ORIENT: Butcher, Chorley, Cuthbert, Forbes, Cox, Dawson, Lisbie, McSweeney, Porter, Spring, Clarke.
    Subs: Cureton, Laird, Cestor, Lovelock, Mooney.

As you can see Iain Turner is on the bench after recovering from a broken toe, indicating the manager's faith in young shot stopper Andreas Arestidou.

(more like Turner is not as yet 100% fit) but even so I think Arestidou would have kept his place for this game at least.

Northend are currently on seven straight league victories and today can make it eight! THE CLUB RECORD is 14 picked up in the 1950/51 season so a long way to go yet before that record comes under threat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Orient 0 Preston 1

3:04 Proctor runs onto a Hume ball and knocks it square for Coutts to fire home.

3:38 Orient 1 Preston 1
    Dean Cox heads home after Lisbie pulls back from the byline.

(better take a Beta Blocker) <yikes>

3:48 Orient 2 PNE 1
    Cox fires in a low drive from 25-yards into the bottom corner.

Half time 2-1 and PNE have it all to do in the second half : An upset on the cards ??????
    Come on Phil Brown get the lads on the boil again.

Second half:

4:08 PNE penalty.
    Mellor goes down following a flick on from Hume.

Alexander to take.

Keeper saves.....<yikes>

Ww have the penalty King and he has now missed two so far this season. !!!!

Proctor and Alexander subbed and replaced by Mayor and Tsoumou. Looks like PNE have gone 4 4 2 with Humeon the Left and Mayor on the right with Tsoumou and Mellor up front.

Northend are creating many chances but not taking advantage of them.
    Parry replaced by Smith. Parry was injured but indicated he was ok to continue but PB made the change anyway.

FT: Orient 2 Preston 1

Northend's winning run comes to an end and what a costly miss the penalty turned out to be. Had to happen eventaually and maybe better now than next week against the Blades.

Well done the O's who bulit on their fine draw against Huddersfield in their previous game and went one better in this one.

Back to the drawing board for Northend as they are still conceding too many goals. I still feel that midfield is the main problem with no REAL ball winner to protect the back four, but there is also a question mark about playing 4 4 3. Rebuild confidence for next week and get back on the winning trail again.

Back later on.

18. themaclad

Cox levels 1-1

19. themaclad

Turning into another Wycombe great start losing a half time, up to you Mr Brown to get them roused for the 2nd half, will take a point.

Cox again for Orient

20. themaclad

Alex misses pen