1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Let's face it. Hounding Hughton out of our club

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Canary Rob, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

is where it all went Pete Tong.

Roughly four great years. We were a solid Premier League side.

Then the fans got greedy and thought we should be playing like Barcelona. They turned on Hughton and the players which led to Hughton's sacking (when we were still well outside the relegation zone) and ultimately relegation.

Three **** seasons since, albeit about five months of fun when Neil first started (except we did not get automatic promotion).

2. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

You obviously didn't watch any of the games he presided over, it was awful, ended up being a hoofball team!

3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But it was dire, negative anti-football.
    Set up repeatedly not to lose - though we frequently did anyway.
    If that had happened during an occasional game, I'm sure the fans would have dealt with it, but every single weekend <yikes>
    Maybe it was the same old story, the board not backing him and his targets in transfer windows (what's the betting we see more evidence of this next month <doh>), so maybe he was ham-strung squad wise, but to expect a tolerant bunch of fans to cough up £35 a week to sit through the chore of that dross eventually - and correctly, though Adams was a knee-jerk appointment, took it's ultimate toll.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased for him at Brighton and wouldn't be upset if they get promotion - far more deserving than us as things stand <ok>

4. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Good to see you Rob.

I have to agree with the guys regarding Hughton's tenure here. It just didn't happen for him.

He was excellent before us, and equally good after us it seems. You have to wonder where the real problem lies at this club.

5. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Spot on gandy, it would seem to show it's NOT the manager's fault, but hey-ho, we know the usual suspects will disagree! <ok>

JM Fan likes this.
  6. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

I can only remember a small handful of games under CH where we looked like a team that had real intent on winning, but even then failed most times.

The two Cardiff games where we played them off the pitch and took just 1 point (a total of 64 shots on goal was it? and 1 goal <doh>
    The West Ham game where we blew them away in the first half and went on to lose 2-0
    The first West Ham game of the season where we won 3-1 after falling behind and were dire in the first half.

7. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Sounds very familiar!

8. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Good to see you Rob and I agree that it's seldom as simple as just changing the manager, which is only one aspect of the current situation as it was back then. Hughton was supposedly 'clueless' - well he doesn't look very 'clueless' now. There were many other problems back then as well, including the style of football being played and our inability to score enough goals. Simple answers seldom solve complex problems.

9. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

This is what really wrankles about the whole sorry Hughton affair for me, The board failed to act when they should have, but then inexplicably then let Hughton off the relegation hook only to appoint a manager so unlikely to save us that the only less palitable option was indeed sticking with Hughton.
    I still cannot begin to understand how anyone could think that Hughton was going to rescue us from relegation given the abject form and football he had us playing. Those last 5 games needed a miracle, neither hughton nor Adams (or even Fergerson!) were ever remotely likely to pull off.
    Might Hughton have been the best option in the championship? Well that is a far more interesting question. Better than Adams? Most likely, but given the level of hangover from relegation, I can't believe it would have been anything but a struggle with the malaise around his tenure. The fans clearly would have made any attempt to stick with him difficult unless there was a flying start with a fundimental change to the anti-football.
    And whilst we didn't expect Barcelonaesque football, it is not unreasonable to want to see a team set up to plan to win. His were all about damage limitation. It's not like he had signed or was picking a side to counter quickly. There was no plan of attack!

And one last thing. Mr Hughton has not got Brighton up yet! Derby will know this sort of position all to well but have fallen away a number of times. Before we hail him as the answer to our problems lets see if he can get the job done? And then if that is done lets see the car crash in the PL!

Bloody good to see you posting again fella

DHCanary and ilovedelia like this.
  10. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

It was basically hoof the ball up to Elmander to hold up while the two banks of four tried to gallop forward, cavalry over the hill style, from the edge of their own area to give him some support.
    By which time the oppo, normally well drilled, had eleven men behind the ball to snuff out any hint of a threat.
    Next match, repeat the above, following match, repeat the ab................. :(

ilovedelia likes this.

11. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

I was very happy with Hughtons initial appointment, a very nice man with a fairly good history in management. Seemed like a perfect fit...but it soon became apparent that it was going wrong! Holty has said how depressing that time was, and it showed.

12. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Hmmm, useful, constructive input, squire.
    Good job you got involved. <ok>
    In the absence of anything much to get enthralled about this season, I see no reason a thread like this, discussing what could, should or might have been should be dismissed out of hand like that.

DHCanary likes this.
  13. ncgandy

Is this FML's definition of debate?

Get a grip for Heaven's sake mate. No excuse for calling a fellow fan that.

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  14. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0148-yes: well done

15. Forgot_My_Lines

What is this related to?

16. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I did nothing - except express my opinion on your ill-informed and unnecessary comment?

17. Forgot_My_Lines

Ok. I'll concede. nice talking to you guys. xx

18. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Yet again, someone has resorted to name calling. I have deleted your post FML. Consider this a final warning. Anymore of that and I will ban you.
    I did give fair warning on a different thread (How Long Do We Give Him?)
    Especially as you had raised a comment about name calling.
    If you can't debate, then you will disappear. Simple as that.

19. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Happy clapper?

20. ncgandy

Him or me?

If me, then no. <ok>