1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lest We Forget

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by johnsonsbaby, May 29, 2017.

1. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

As a mark of respect to those who died, a floral tribute was placed alongside the Heysel memorial plaque at the Centenary Stand at Anfield this morning by the club’s director of communications, Susan Black.

RIP 39 <rose>

2. moreinjuredthanowen

well done. it seems rather low key to me and more should be done at that spot when you compare it too our hillsborough site.

Solid_Air 2 and johnsonsbaby like this.
  3. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

4. saintKlopp

A dark day in our history.

RIP <rose>

5. LuisDiazgamechanger

Football is only a game, and can never be compared to the lives of those who died on 29/05/1985.
    Very sad. They are always going to be remembered. RIP:emoticon-0153-broke<rose>.

6. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

7. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Always important to remember. RIP.

8. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Terrible disaster and not enough made of it imo. Comes across like it is brushed aside just out of embarrassment.

However, it is worth noting how policing and crowd management has evolved since. Modern structural maintenance and stadium selection will hopefully never see something like this happen again. Hooliganism is seemingly wiped out or near enough as well.

9. johnsonsbaby

If you think that for many years, Liverpool ’s response to Heysel was woefully inadequate you would be right. It was always taboo. Over the years though, there was a recognition that more needed to be done. In 2000 Liverpool [city of] officially commemorated the anniversary of Heysel for the first time. There's the memorial plaque now at the ground and coverage every year on the anniversary on the official website, small gestures maybe but gestures just the same. Nothing will ever bring those poor souls back and we will forever bear the shame.

The bigger mystery, as far as those who know more about the tragedy are concerned, was that it was even more of a taboo in Turin, home of Juventus. Up until 2013 [I know because I have a article bookmarked from then] if you went on the Juventus official website there was no tribute other than these words in an article about the club's first European Cup success in 1985 - “The long-awaited success in Europe ’s highest accolade was tainted with sadness” … “Something unexplainable happened …. and 39 innocent victims lost their lives. Football, from that moment, would never be the same again.” … “It’s a joyless success, but the victory enabled the Bianconeri to fly to Tokyo in winter to play the Intercontinental Cup final. Argentinos Junior were beaten on penalties and Juve were the world champions.”

In 'The Truths of Heysel', Andrea Lorentini, whose father Roberto died in Brussels and whose grandfather Otello has led the campaign for the victims to be officially recognised by the club, writes of the “bewilderment, reticence, guilty silences and suspicion” the bereaved have faced in their dealings with Juventus. A support group was set up by the families [much like our own HFSG] and they requested that the anniversary not be made a big thing in England. I believe Juventus now has a Heysel exhibit in their museum. If we brushed it aside out of shame, I don't know what their excuse was.

10. Prince Knut

I was there. No holding back at all for the shame on those maniacs that were still trying to attack Juve fans when the innocent were running away and a wall collapsed. But If I say what I'd wish about the Juve Ultras and their behaviour all day, with bottles knives and bricks I'd be accused of doing what some who excuse the Police's behaviour at Hillsborough by sniding 'Oh, but many (!) Liverpool fans had no tickets and were drunk'. So I won't, because on this day it is about the innocent 39 fans who tried to flee a riot, and our scum didn't care what happened to them.

Scum. Up there with the arseholes that tried to cover up for Sean Mercer.

11. johnsonsbaby

There's a huge difference though mate. What should have happened at Heysel - but didn't as we all know - is that the police should have stepped in, separated the fans, stopped the game and made arrests, the wall should have been strong enough to support the fans, nobody should have died. Nobody can even try and defend the actions of those who attacked the Juve fans, but none of them went there with the intention of killing anyone, all that should have been was a bit of a fight and a few black eyes. Unlike the gang culture you refer to.

* Record Points Total likes this.
  12. Prince Knut

Okay, I'll leave it there. But 39 people died, and the bulk of the shame is on our supporters.

Diego likes this.
  13. johnsonsbaby

I've never disagreed mate.

* Record Points Total likes this.
  14. moreinjuredthanowen

even the plaque on the wall is pathetically inadequate

the reality is there was trouble and a wall collapsed. there was a lot of trouble round europe and still is. the whole of engish football was punished for it. People went to jail over it. There has to be a point where we say ok. there was zero fan control in those days, there is now. Stadiums have improved but there are still those trying to cuase trouble out there across europe this is an endless battle.

My view is LFC shoould go remake that as a proper memorial with every single name on it and stick a bench there too.

15. johnsonsbaby

Much as I like the idea, the 'Heysel families' don't want any fuss made by us. Given we know this, it would be disrespectful to go against their wishes.

16. moreinjuredthanowen

it would but i rather think it look miserable now so what would be acceptable?

17. johnsonsbaby

I think we just leave it as it is. The event will never be forgotten by the club and fans. Prayers and remembrance on the anniversary may be valued more than a bench etc.

Remember this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32109756

18. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

I just remember going to watch the game Vs Juve in 2005 and most turned their backs on the Liverpool tribute. Ever since then its just felt to me as if they'd rather they were allowed to remember the victims themselves, rather than anything coming from our side.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  19. johnsonsbaby

I agree. Unfortunately the overwhelming majority of fans have had to pay the price for the actions of a few idiots. When you're the aggrieved side, it's sometimes very hard to accept the apologies, as in turning of backs, quite literally - that's human nature.

Tragedies like this should never happen. Nobody can ever bring back those dear souls but in as far as it could be, justice was served by the perpetrators. The difference with Hillsborough is it's STILL ongoing.

20. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

Michel Platini's comment after the final was disgusting.

Astonishing Platini Heysel claim.

http://www.football-italia.net/67102/astonishing-platini-heysel-claim

Looks like his personal celebration of scoring the winning goal was more important than the deaths of the 39 supporters of the club he was playing for.

<rose>