1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds v QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Quite the post mortem the BBC Yorkshire post match commentary team are having.

NorwayRanger likes this.
  2. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

So we were set up 3-4-3 to begin with?

3. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

A good result for me.

We kept a clean sheet away to a team playing for promotion.

Based upon both the stats and the radio commentary, we also created the better chances and we defended well. Plus, we seem to have played a rather partisan ref.

All very good new for our build up to next season.

Well done Ollie and the Team!

4. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

U r very naughty!
    Agree that good result today.
    Well done The Rssss.

Hoops Eternal likes this.
  5. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Excellent performance, nice to be able to praise the team, well done Ollie...

Hoops Eternal and rangercol like this.
  6. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

That's a good result and a decent point. Leeds didn't have an attempt on target. Holloway's doing well and has got us playing as a hardworking unit who know how to battle.

7. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

MATCH REPORT: LEEDS UNITED 0, QPR 0

QPR earned a share of the spoils at Leeds in a thoroughly entertaining affair in Yorkshire.

Despite the game ending goalless, it was a performance which earned a standing ovation from the travelling R’s fans who witnesses the sort of spirited display we have come to expect from Ian Holloway’s men.

Conor Washington arguably had the best chance of the game during the first half when he broke clear of the Leeds defence, but Rob Green was able to deny him.

Matt Smith also saw a couple of headers go over, while at the other end of the pitch Alex Smithies was well protected by the defensive line in front of him.

Holloway made four changes from the side that beat Barnsley midweek, with Joel Lynch, Darnell Furlong, Matt Smith and Conor Washington returning to the team at the expense of James Perch, Ryan Manning, Yeni Ngbakoto and Idrissa Sylla.

Holloway spoke in the week about how pleased he was with the versatility his QPR squad offers him, and he reverted to a 5-3-2 formation for this game against high-flying Leeds.

Alex Smithies lined up between the posts, with Jake Bidwell, Lynch, Grant Hall, Nedum Onuoha and Furlong making up the back five.

Luke Freeman, who was so impressive in our 2-1 win against the Tykes, continued in central midfield, and was joined by Massimo Luongo and Pawel Wszolek.

Washington and Smith, rested on Tuesday, returned in attack.

In front of a partisan home support, QPR created the first opportunity of this game in the seventh minute when Freeman’s corner from the right was flicked on by Furlong towards Washington at the back post, but the R’s striker was unable to get the all-important touch.

And on 12 minutes Rangers created another good opportunity when Washington found Luongo in space on the edge of the box. The Aussie midfielder took a touch before picking out Smith with a great centre, but the former Leeds man could only direct his header over the bar.

Just two minutes later, QPR had a glorious chance to take the lead when Washington brilliantly rolled Pontus Jansson but, with only the keeper to beat, his low effort was well blocked by former R’s keeper Rob Green.

A hugely-entertaining opening 30 minutes whizzed by at Elland Road, with both teams playing some attractive football on the deck.

The R’s certainly carried a real threat in the final third, and in the 33rd minute Smith’s floated header landed on the roof of Green’s net following Furlong’s long throw from the right.

On 43 minutes, Rangers were grateful to Onuoha when he deflected Kemar Roofe’s vicious effort from 25 yards over the bar.

It would certainly have been harsh on QPR to go in behind at the break, and that was the last real chance of an entertaining first half of football.

Shortly after the restart, Furlong had to be alert to head clear following a dangerous centre from the right by Luke Ayling.

At the other end, Bidwell’s drive from 20 yards was comfortably gathered by Green after Freeman’s initial corner from the left fell to the full back on the edge of the Leeds box.

QPR enjoyed a sustained period of possession, with Freeman at the centre of it. The former Bristol City man was at his creative best, with the travelling 700 R’s fans voicing their approval of his performance at every opportunity.

In the 63rd minute, the hard-working Washington fashioned a chance for himself and so nearly gave the R’s the lead. After Bidwell found him on the left flank, the R’s forward brilliantly cut inside Kyle Bartley, but his shot from the edge of the box fizzed just wide of Green’s far post.

Five minutes later, Leeds’ in-form striker Chris Wood managed to find some space in the box and cleverly headed Ayling’s cross goalwards, but it bounced just the wide of Smithies’ upright.

With just over ten minutes remaining, Holloway made a triple substitution. All his players had worked themselves into the ground, so it was no surprise fresh legs were required.

Smith was replaced by Idrissa Sylla, while Wszolek came off for Yeni Ngbakoto.

Washington came off for Jamie Mackie.

Within seconds of coming on the pitch, Mackie was involved in a heated exchange with Leeds defender Jansson, who wasn’t too fond of the R’s forward’s strong challenge.

In the closing stages, QPR sat deeper to see out the game. It was a performance that probably deserved all three points, but Holloway’s players deserve huge credit for a high-energy, committed display which earned a share of the spoils in Yorkshire.

Read more at http://www.qpr.co.uk/fixtures-resul...id=3926629&tcmuri=3152343#xgbAzihFuoDz1wSL.99

8. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Leeds United v QPR player ratings
    By West London Sport 11/0

QPR produced an excellent performance against Leeds and were unlucky not to win. Here’s how we rated each Rangers player in the 0-0 draw at Elland Road.

Alex Smithies: 7
    Well protected by his defence. Calm when called upon and produced a smart first-half save to keep out Alfonso Pedraza’s shot.

Darnell Furlong: 7
    Lacked composure at times, mis-hitting crosses in his eagerness to get the ball into the box. But he was full of running on the flank, linked up well with Pawel Wszolek and had a couple of attempts on goal.

Nedum Onuoha: 8
    A terrific performance from the Rangers captain, who led by example at the back. Won numerous challenges, including a vital one late in the game to deny Hadi Sacko.

Joel Lynch: 7
    Clumsy at times and occasionally sloppy on the ball, but overall it was a very good display from the defender, who won everything in the air and gave Chris Wood very little.

Jake Bidwell: 7
    A couple of misplaced passes aside, Bidwell had a very decent game on the left. He defended well and got forward often, delivering some dangerous balls into the box.

Pawel Wszolek: 8
    The irrepressible Pole got through a staggering amount of running in an outstanding performance. He seemed to be everywhere at times and showed plenty of quality too. Great stuff.

Grant Hall: 8
    Excellent in what is effectively a dual role; a midfielder or a third centre-back depending on where he is required. Hall does the job extremely well, showing great awareness and understanding of the game.

Massimo Luongo: 9
    Brilliant. Dominated in midfield and on two occasions rode a series of challenges to break towards the Leeds penalty area. His passing was superb too.

Luke Freeman: 8
    Another Rangers player who performed wonderfully well. He was unplayable during a spell in the first half and was always a threat to the Leeds defence with his skill and his deliveries into the box.

Matt Smith: 7
    Not blessed with great technique, but Smith knows the target-man role inside out and does it well. He won numerous headers and went close to scoring either side of half-time. Worked hard against his former club and was given deserved applause by both sets of fans when substituted late in the game.

Conor Washington: 8
    Will be disappointed not to have scored after creating two good chances for himself with clever turns away from defenders. His overall performance was magnificent, though, and like Hall he showed a great understanding of where he needed to be. When the time was right he was close to Smith and at other times he did a sterling job on the left-hand side, giving Luke Ayling major problems while preventing the Leeds man from getting forward.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-news0leeds-united-v-qpr-player-ratings

Stroller likes this.
  9. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good performance all round. What will the Luongo sceptics make of his rating I wonder?

10. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I have to hold my hand up to being one of them Strolls. I think it's great that he's improving and another one who deserves to start regularly. He's beginning to show some consistency and drive as part of the midfield engine room and looks more comfortable as part of a three.

I think the squad is looking quite strong now with no real weak links. We just need a sprinkling of magic dust now, someone who has the ability to change and win a game.

QPRski and seagullhoop like this.

11. kingdom hoop

kingdom hoop Active Member

Did we wear our new all white strip again today? Just love it.

12. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I've always rated Luongo, but some seem to just take against him. I have an ongoing difference of opinion with the chap who sits behind me and can see no merit in the lad at all. There was a moment in the first half on Tuesday when Perch made a total hash of a pass to Luongo and this fella blamed Luongo for it. I had to pull him up on that. As to the magic dust, maybe Freeman can provide that. He has something about him.

seagullhoop likes this.
  13. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I'm fortunate that where I sit we don't have any of those types. I had Freeman in mind for that role too or Morrison if he can lose weight and can get fit.

14. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I've just received this text message from my mate John who was at Elland Road today ...

''We were superb today. When Leeds had the ball, we were strong and organised. When we had the ball, we moved well and threatened often, but Washington in particular was a constant threat, but Freeman, Luongo (honest!) and Wzsolek ran at them from all angles. It was a great, open game - one of the best goalless draws I've seen in a long time. Despite the quality and attacking quality intent, there were few clear cut chances, more self-created half chances and desperate balls across the box.

On another day, we'd have won that game; six months ago we'd have probably lost it. The mere fact we went out to win the game today, away from home at a form side with sights on the play offs, rather than hold on grimly for a point tells me the squad have bought into whatever Olly is selling. I had my reservations about Olly's return, but game by game, tactically, he's proving me - and many more besides - wrong. And long may that continue.''

15. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

16. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

One of the best/exciting games I ever saw at Loftus Rd. was a 0 - 0 v West Ham one evening back in the 70s sometime.

terryb likes this.
  17. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

happy with that well done Hollow! Keep it up son.

18. sku

sku Well-Known Member

Ravel Morrison??

19. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Excellent scores across the board.

NorwayRanger likes this.
  20. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I think we passed this "reality check" with flying colours.

I would now like us to follow this up with a comprehensive victory against Rotherham next Saturday.