1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Leeds v QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Mar 11, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Queens Park Rangers will be hoping for a similar result and performance as the one on the opening day of the season as the R’s head up north to face Leeds United at Elland Road.

When the teams met back in August, Leeds were blown away by an inspired QPR side who outperformed them all over the park and ended up with a well-earned 3-0 victory.

Despite a difficult start Leeds have gone on to enjoy a stellar season. Monk’s side are currently 4th in the table nine points below Brighton in 2nd and eight points ahead of Fulham in 7th. They are well placed to finish in the play-off positions and surely won’t rule out automatic promotion although conceding a 95th minute equaliser against Fulham on Tuesday would not have helped their cause.

Monk has got Leeds well organised with Pontus Jansson and Kyle Bartley two of the finest centre halves in the division. Their captain Liam Bridcutt patrols the midfield and they have exciting players on the wing including Souleymane Doukara and Hadi Sacko. But perhaps the most important aspect in Leeds firing this season has been the outstanding form of Chris Wood in attack, who has scored over 20 league goals.

Leeds are currently enjoying their best season in many years and will hope that it can lead them back to the Premier League where they were, for a period, one of the biggest sides in the division.

Rangers are now comfortably situated in mid-table following a run of four wins in the last five games. This form has eased any relegation fears that the club may have been experiencing through parts of January and February but Holloway won’t rest on his laurels and wants a strong end to the season.

The R’s played some excellent football in the 2-1 victory over Barnsley in the week and now look to be finding their feet under Ollie with lots of competition for places.

Leeds have only beaten QPR once in the last five meetings and Rangers are unbeaten in the last two outings at Elland Road so should be heading into this one relatively confident despite the Whites tasting defeat just four times at home this season.

TEAM NEWS

QPR: Jamie Mackie and Joel Lynch are available again after being rested against Barnsley on Tuesday night whilst Kazenga LuaLua remains sidelined with an ankle injury.

Leeds: Leeds will be able to recall Luke Ayling and Chris Wood after injuries kept them out of their last game at Craven Cottage. However Kalvin Phillips misses out through suspension.

Predicted line up:

Green,

Ayling, Bartley, Jansson, Taylor,

Bridcutt, Vieira, Sacko, Roofe, Doukara,

Wood.

QPR

Key Player: Chris Wood – The target man has been in sensational form this season leading the race to be the Championship’s top goalscorer award with 22 strikes and is a key part of the way Leeds setup.

PRE MATCH TALK

Ian Holloway: “The lads are working really hard and it’s all about setting your standards and continuing to do that. We are playing a Leeds side that has steadily improved and improved. They are a massive club with huge support and I am delighted to be taking my team to Elland Road. We are going to have to try to stop them, and impose ourselves on them and the game. It won’t be easy but I’m really looking forward to it.”

Garry Monk: “We had a big disappointment on the opening day of the season at QPR, we felt we were better than we showed. We can show how far we have come this weekend, in front of another large crowd at Elland Road. QPR are in form, it will be another tough test and they have done really well since Ian's return."

MATCH ODDS

QPR win: 14/5
    Draw: 12/5
    Leeds win: Evens
    QPR first goal scorer: Matt Smith 13/2
    Leeds first goal scorer: Chris Wood 10/3

LAST TIME OUT

QPR 3-0 Leeds - Championship, Sunday 7th August 2016
    QPR goal-scorers: Nedum Onouha, Tjaronn Chery, Sebastian Polter

HEAD TO HEAD

(In all competitions)

QPR wins: 18
    Draws: 15
    Leeds wins: 20

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Tim Robinson
    Assistant Referees: Andrew Fox and Mark Jones
    Fourth official: David Coote

2. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

In deference to a close friend and LUFC fan who passed away last week:

RIP Steve.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  3. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Condolences Shefford. RIP Steve<rose>

Ninj, QPRski and sheffordqpr like this.
  4. sheffordqpr

No need for that Beth, but thank you.

5. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Extremely tough game on paper but I'm optimistic of a 1-1 at least. Any team with Rob Green in goal is beatable- just shoot to his left.

6. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

It'll be a good test of our progress so far under Ollie, Leeds will be favourites and a tough challenge but we've done well against some of the promotion challengers and the pressure is all on the MASSIVE...

7. sheffordqpr

Or just shoot!!

8. Bwood_Ranger

Or roll the ball towards him and wait for the terrible goal kick.

sheffordqpr likes this.
  9. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

I think we are privileged to be on the same pitch as such a massive club.

KPDHoopster and qprbeth like this.
  10. Bwood_Ranger

Champions

Champions of Europe

11. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to listening to this match.

As correctly mentioned, in my personal opinion, in the Clive's LFW review (I already hear some groans), we have in 3 weeks gone from the gloom of an oncoming relegation to the euphoria of a potential promotion contenders for next season. Thus, a typical QPR rollercoaster ride and the truth is probably somewhere down the middle.

I am looking at this match as a "reality check" of where we currently really are. Leeds are in relatively good form and extremely motivated to gain points. If we can do well in such a match, then it bodes well that we are well organised tactically, physically, as well as mentally. The bookies have Leeds as strong favourites, although I can easily envisage and would not be surprised if we lose, draw or even win. Hence, my "reality check".

All I can more is COYR's!!!!

QPR Oslo and KPDHoopster like this.
  12. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

sheffordqpr likes this.
  13. Bwood_Ranger

Very positive though history suggests we struggle without Manning.

14. sheffordqpr

I like that line up. Plenty of opportunities for Connor and Smith today please.

15. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Manning on bench! Mind You loungo had decent game Tuesday.

16. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

17. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Only one wrong in your line-up, Nines!

QPR999 likes this.
  18. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I think that the inability to keep a clean sheet has been our main problem regardless of the personnel on the pitch. Only one shutout in twenty four. But I do agree with your comment on Manning. It's quite incredible that he's probably one of the first names we'd have on our team sheet in such a short space of time.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  19. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I did nearly put Hall into that holding role but at the expense of Luongo though. It looks like Ollie is going for a shut out today and try and nick a goal on the break.

20. Bwood_Ranger

Bircham writes the names on the whiteboard and he struggles to spell most of them. It's the same reason Perch gets picked and we signed Smith. Poor old Yeni Ngkobotokoboko.

NorwayRanger, Wherever and QPR999 like this.