1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leeds Utd v Rotherham Match thread / Happy New Year

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 1, 2017.

?

SCORELINE:Leeds Utd v Rotherham

Poll closed Jan 2, 2017.
  1. 0-0

7.7%
  2. 1-1

7.7%
  3. 2-2

7.7%
  4. 3-3 or hihgher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Leeds by 1

7.7%
  6. Rotherham by 1

7.7%
  7. Leeds by 2

38.5%
  8. Rotherham by 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Leeds by 3 or more

46.2%
  10. Rotherham by 3 or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Said virtually the same myself a few days back, I wouldn't mind a player with Sacko's pace but better end result but how much would that cost and Roofe and Doukara are surely better than players like Nugent?

2. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

He still loved it and said at half time, don't worry we will win, we're always better second half. We were row LL (somewhat ironically) 20 ft from the corner flag so right next to the South Stand. Big thumbs up to the stewards today, allowed to stand for the whole 90 minutes with no attempts to get anyone to sit. Will definitely go back in the same area again when I can.

Was a bit surprised at how quiet NW corner was tbh we did you proud <whistle>

3. Marcos Barber

Ok, wasn't going to post again today but can't sleep (and neither can little man but mum and youngest appear to be shattered from their trip to see Star Trek).

Today was something special, more than a trip to Elland Road to see my beloved Leeds United, today I shared something and passed on a legacy.

Ben couldn't believe how big the ground was (13 year old's perception of a club that has not been in the Premier League in his living memory). He could sense the history compared to the Emirates and Wembley, both of which he has been to. He could sense that the people and the feeling were real (quote "Arsenal is full of rich people who want to say they have been, they don't want to sing, it's not like their lives depend on it, this is different").

He listened eagerly to story's of my visits over many years, who we played, where I stood / sat, how the ground has developed, how you could watch players training next to the ground, how I kicked Paul Hart in the shins at an open day because I was too small to get him to notice my request for an autograph even though he was my favourite player, how I hugged Beckford and Brad Johnson on the pitch after Bristol Rovers. He wanted to know what was the worst trouble I had seen at the ground. He was fascinated by where the old shop used to be and how I would spend every penny of my birthday or Christmas money on anything Leeds. In other words, my son fell in love with a bit of my history.

Memory lane kicks in and I remembered my recently divorced and very unhappy mum having a day of rare happiness taking me and her dad (Grandad Herbert - a Town fan - sadly long departed) to Elland Road for the first time and me being awe struck by actually seeing people like Peter Lorimer, Eddie and David Harvey for real not just in a Panini album. I guarantee a lot of kids will know Ben has seen the real Pontus today :emoticon-0148-yes: At the start of the second half today, a guy walked past me (maybe my age, maybe a touch older) with a cup of bovril wafting under my nose and he had three little Leeds United pin badges on, like the ones I used to cherish like the Crown Jewels on my school blazer. I am not joking when I say I could smell and see 40+ years of my life there and then.

I could rave about our second half performance but those more fortunate than me like WJ, Chippy, OLOF, Jammy etc who can go more regularly add more credence to any report (especially if Chippy admits there is progress) but this report is more personal. None of us know how long we have on this wonderful earth but I would urge all you mums and dads who haven't already done so, take your young ones to Leeds. It is not expensive, it is spine tinglinly wonderful and it is a bit of you that you are passing on :emoticon-0148-yes:

4. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

I hope you have fully converted your lad Marcus, I remember my dad taking me when I was a nipper, i'll never forget it,been in love with Leeds United ever since<ok>

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Marcos Barber likes this.
  5. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Excellent posting, Marcos. Agree with you about the atmosphere, but have to say that there's something even more special about evening games. I've never lost that feeling. I'm still like a big kid in the evening. It was a big enough treat going to see Partick Thistle or Scotland on a Saturday, but evening matches were so, so special. It's probably got a lot to do with the floodlights & last minute rush to get there in time after tea, but I think a lot of it probably stems from the fact that I was being allowed to stay up late on a school night. Felt sorta wrong, but that simply added to the occasion. I'd recommend taking your lad to an evening game if it's possible, perhaps during the school holidays. You might be able to get up early enough to fit in a stadium tour for him too.

My lads used to have seasons, but we lost them when they started working weekends when they turned 16 at school, and then through Uni. After Uni, it was too late - they had different pursuits. I've given up on my eldest & my eldest grandson isn't interested. But there''s a glimmer of hope with my youngest. He attended the 3 games I missed when I was travelling at the end of last year (using my s/t), and enjoyed it. Going to miss another 3 in feb & march, so he's already showing interest in attending them too. Let's call it a work in progress & cross our fingers.

OLOF and Marcos Barber like this.
  6. Marcos Barber

He's totally hooked. Wants to come up for Derby but we are out very early Saturday morning so not realistic with our journey but am waiting for Forest tickets to go on general sale :emoticon-0148-yes:

7. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Great read, great point about Arsenal and brought back a few memories to myself. I know its been said previously that the club has lost a couple of generations of youngsters but clearly, with continued success, that can easily change. Many are either disillusioned with the stale pl and lack of atmosphere and will love the Elland Road experience just like your lad. Good work Marcus

Marcos Barber likes this.