1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leeds Utd v Rotherham Match thread / Happy New Year

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 1, 2017.

?

SCORELINE:Leeds Utd v Rotherham

Poll closed Jan 2, 2017.
  1. 0-0

7.7%
  2. 1-1

7.7%
  3. 2-2

7.7%
  4. 3-3 or hihgher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Leeds by 1

7.7%
  6. Rotherham by 1

7.7%
  7. Leeds by 2

38.5%
  8. Rotherham by 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Leeds by 3 or more

46.2%
  10. Rotherham by 3 or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

No need for a detailed assessment of the individual player performances from me. Pretty much a game of two halves, as they say. Everyone failed to shine in the first half, and as Sacko was subbed at half time, I guess Monk thought he was the worst. Only on target 'shot' I can remember was Doukara's 'cross' from the left wing. Sadly.

Second half, everyone perked up. I agree with Glory & OLOF about Ayling. Superb. Viera looked beyond his years. Involved in everything, spraying the ball about intelligently. Wood was most impressive. I notice now that he doesn't turn his back when running at someone trying to clear the ball. Someone else displayed the same behaviour, but I can't remember who it was. Cheers me up that. I hate a player turning his back on the ball. Loses a yard if he does that. Wood's first goal was superb. Held off the CF whilst chesting it down, turning & shooting. Only thing I didn't like in the second half was Berardi losing it more than once. TBH, I think he started it. I remember him back-heeling one of their players viciously with his studs. Ok, I admit it, I applauded. Wasn't applauding when he nearly got himself sent off twice. One final comment - Jansson seems to get all the headlines, but I think Bartley is the star. And I don't mean for his goal-scoring. That's just an extra. Oh, and before I forget, Jansson almost cost us a goal. Instead of a simple pass, he tried to showboat & lost the ball. Then got a yellow when he went to retrieve it. Not what I expect from a £3.5m signing.

One final thing to mention is Monk's comments when he spoke to Popey after the game. He specifically & clearly stated that NO player is leaving in January. Difficult to believe when Murphy & Diagouraga can't get in the squad. But he said it. Also confirmed that Taylor has indeed got an achilles injury. Offered no speculation on the signings situation, other than to mention he'd like to strengthen 'a couple of areas'. Think it means he's talking CB for definite, but not so sure what other area he means. I can only think we're talking striker or winger, but as far as I'm concerned, they'll need to be really good to get into this team. I really don't think anyone of this calibre will be available in January in our budget range. Word is the CB we're talking about is Liam Lindsay of the mighty Partick Thistle. Puts me in a win-lose situation. :grin: <wah>

Eireleeds1, Jammy 07, ristac and 4 others like this.
  2. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ok.

Viera or Phillips?

3. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Apparently we are signing Nugent until the end of the season from Middlesbrough. Comes from the striker himself

4. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

The same lad we tried to sign years ago and he wasn't interested. :(

5. Whitejock

Both. Both get played at DM, but Viera looks to have the attacking edge by a large margin, whereas Philips shines in the defensive department. A good pairing for the future.

Jammy 07 likes this.
  6. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Shez has left his role as Manager of Notts County

please log in to view this image

7. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

I'll bet he was pissed......

off

ellandback likes this.
  8. Whitejock

I find this difficult to believe. Where do we play him in our 4-2-3-1 setup? Has he ever shone in the lone striker role? Don't believe so. Can he play in the 3 behind Wood? Not got the legs for the wings, but possibly in the middle, but I'd put Hernandez or Roofe there before him. Super-sub is the only place we have for him, I think.

Thoughts? Anyone excited by the possibility of him joining us? Where would he play?

9. ellandback

Forum Moderator

So you'd drop Bridcutt?

10. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Thought he scored plenty in the Championship?

Geographically, he lives locally.

Proved at this level.

If injury to Wood, he can step in, or use instead of Doukara if we need to go 4/4/2

11. Whitejock

Difficult one. You'd think that Bridcutt & O'Kane would be our #1 choice pairing. I'm not so sure it is. No drop in the quality when one or both of them drops out for any reason. We're blessed with 4 superb DMs IMO.

12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

13. Whitejock

I have no doubt he can score goals, but weren't most of them from 4-4-2 setups? Which we rarely use (and our first half performance today highlighted this again).

Middlesbrough isn't local, btw. 60-90 minute journey each way. On a good day.

14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Its straight up the M1.

Perhaps he lives halfway?

He was bragging to family and friends on twitter that he was off to Leeds

15. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

M1 doesn't go to boro elland. Whichever, no boro players live in boro. But Its an hour to Leeds from teeside but less to Thorpe arch. It's definitely commutable.

That said, I heard nugent wanted to come not that he was definitely coming... the rumours I heard were fletcher was first choice. However, nugent can play as a lone striker, as a pair or in the hole. He's no spring chicken but a good player at this level.

ellandback likes this.
  16. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Ooops, I thought if you continued up the M1 it would take you towards Teeside.

17. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

M1 stops at Leeds fella. Merges with the A1. It's the A19 that goes to teeside. More information about northern roads than a south coast boy needs to know!

18. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Just got back and mission accomplished - quote from my 13 year old at the final whistle "that is ten times better than going to Arsenal". More thoughts tomorrow but for now a night cap and sleep :emoticon-0148-yes:

lifecheshirewhite, OLOF, davy and 6 others like this.
  19. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

Need to get him a decent seat either in east stand if he likes it quiet or in southstand if he doesnt next time.
    At halftime i was thinking you might be having a hard job selling it. Second half was xcellent....

20. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Good assessment as ever WJ. Struck me in the first half a lot looked like they thought it was enough just to turn up and get three points today and, as Monk has previously said we're not good enough to do that. Sackho and Doukara at 100% are effective but both in particular looked really ordinary first half but the whole team lifted the pace 20% from the off in the second half. I thought Ayling, Bartley, Hernandez, Wood and Roofe were excellent second half but by far the best was Vieira. I will probably get pelters for this but the only player I can think of that he reminds me of is Makelele. High praise and not the finished article but boy he could be good (let's hope is brother is on a par - that would be some engine room).

Farsleyexile, OLOF, davy and 4 others like this.