1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leeds Preston highlights

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by LeedsLover, Apr 9, 2017.

1. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

match report was specially requested by Chippy (I fell off my chair as well)..ouch.<doh>

Leeds v Preston NE, pretty much our war of the roses in championship.

Based on listening to Popey's and Whelan's audio commentary

Preston seemed to come out with all guns blazing at start of first half, well, for the first 10 minutes anyway.

Leeds defence weathered that little storm, or was it a slight breeze, and from then on in we seemed to take control of the match, but for parts we didn't have it all our own way, Preston were unlucky not to score early on in game, and equally unlucky not to score later in the match. During one Preston attack Whelan said "I can't believe how that ball didn't go in"

Listening to Popey and Whelan's commentary (getting a mental picture) we seemed to have improved our all round performance compared to the last 2 games, our passing seemed to have improved, our positioning much better and, we seemed to be doing more work down middle.

Roofe popped up with our first goal, Hernandez slotted in our second, and in second half, after coming on as a sub Duke calmly slotted in another goal between the keeper and the post.

As Ristac had previously mentioned, it's ironic that our 3 goal scorers were also the goal scorers in the Boxing day match v PNE, with Sacko being the other one.

After looking at highlights,

Our game play, passing and positioning seemed much better, and as I've always said, we should do more attacking down the middle towards goal (Roofe and Hernandez's goals) if we attacked more down the middle I reckon we can be scoring more goals during matches.

All up a must win match for us to give us some breathing space, and the lads delivered.

It's Newcastle next who were beaten by Wednesday, so I expect them to be looking to bounce back, going to be a real toughy that one.

With Wednesday and Fulham both winning it's getting very tight in the playoff positions. If we lose to Newcastle, and both Wednesday and Fulham win, then it's going to be squeaky bum time, sweaty palms and no hard ons for a few weeks.

Dailymotion

Youtube

Monks post match interview

Graysons interview

I added a couple of kids blog.

2. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Talk about fine margins, it's a good job Bartley never brought down their guy early doors (20 seconds in Dailymotion)

3. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

Good assessment.
    Realistically i cant see us needing more than four more points given we have a five point gap

With a home game against wolves, and trips to burton and wigan if we cant get them then monk and the entire squad would deserve shooting... Start planning for the playoffs!

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  4. LeedsLover

Based on teams we have left to play, Newcs aside, we should get enough points to stay in playoffs however, things can change over a couple of games.

Both Burton and Wigan still have a chance of avoiding relegation, in one or two games time that may change, and Wolves would like to be party poopers.

If we lose to Newcs, and Wed and Fulham win, Wed may leapfrog us on goal difference and Fulham will be 2 points behind with a superior goal difference, that leaves 4 games with Norwich being one of'em and our second to last game from memory, draws are not in our favour at this stage.

If we draw with Newcs, and Wed win, they'll be 1 point behind with a similar goal difference, if Fulham win, they'll be 3 points behind with a superior goal difference.

If we beat Newcs and the other two win, we're in same position but with 4 games left to play.

What we need is for Fulham to lose one of their next two games, even then we won't be concreted in playoffs.

It's getting technical because it's getting tight, and may well go down to the last two games, or worse, the last game of season, which in theory is in our favour if it does, but only in theory.

So, it is squeaky bum time, sweaty palms and no hard ons for about 4 weeks.....:emoticon-0148-yes:

5. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

**** me!!! has someone told you LeedsLover is 6ft 8, built like a brick ****house and is coming to the next meet up<laugh>

6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

We need one more win for playoffs <ok>

7. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

You didn't see them play yesterday. Got their mojo back. Will easily hit any target any of us set them.

8. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

2 more, minimum I'd say

9. lifecheshirewhite

Fulhams the one to miss out IMO,Fixtures from hell.

Whitejock likes this.
  10. LeedsLover

You could be right Chesh, especially if it comes down to last game for Wed and Fulham, either way, it's getting exciting, and worrying to a certain extent cos of how tight it's become.

11. Eireleeds1

Exactly. Cant see Fulham and Wednesday both passing 75 points. Won't matter anyway as we'll be past 80 when seasons over

Chippy / Glory likes this.
  12. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If someone had said we will win and lose two out the next 4 you wouldn't have put money on one of the wins being Brighton. It's a battle here on in for anyone, I think I agree with Josh, six more points needed, possibly 5

Wednesday beating Newcastle was massive for them but then our 3 points against Preston nullified it somewhat.

13. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

not sure why you started this thread Loverboy, there clearly were no highlights for you

oh, duh, just remembered .. Wood hit the bar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

can't wait for the reply.lover which part of the country are you from.my location is obvious to see.

15. LeedsLover

So idiots like you can post idiotic replies.......<doh>

16. LeedsLover

I'm a Yorky, born and bred.

17. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I'd like to think so, Paul, but it can work the other way. Remember -15? I can almost hear the Rocky theme playing in their dressing room.

They're also scoring for fun & confident they can out-score the opposition if they let a few in. I think they'll make the final 6, and might go on to do well in the play-offs. It's all about momentum with them. Keep it going & they're sorted. But just one trip at this stage & it's almost certainly curtains.

Farsleyexile likes this.
  18. Eireleeds1

They were average in quite a few games while you were away WJ. At one point looked like finishing about fourth. Wendies had only won one game from seven previous games before Saturday and Fulham couldnt overtake them. No one will want to play us in the playoffs, guarantee it <ok>

19. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Thats the spirit eire up and at em they dont like it up em you know or so i have heard.