1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leeds leeds leeds

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Sep 20, 2016.

1. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

For as long as we don't have fast, skillful, attacking midfielder we will struggle, this is not a new problem but these players cost a lot of money which is why we have plodders like Skues and Douglas, I thought Ward might be the answer but after a bright start he's faded into virtual obscurity. So no pace equals no creativity equals very few goal opportunities which we are seeing now, any attacking play is so slow it's easy to defend against and the lack of creativity means it's all so predictable.
    If we could play with the same intensity that we did against our neighbours we could win more games but it doesn't disguise the fact that we seriously lack quality, it's not a new problem but it's one that's not been addressed for years now.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  2. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Problem is Field - we now DO have plenty attacking players that you have described. Granted, WIlliams and Bishop not fit. McGoldrick the same.

However, still have the likes of Ward / Lawrence / Sears is rapid - so Mick does have to take blame for the turgid, poor visual displays.

I'm hoping IF we can get Bishop / Williams + McGoldrick all fully fit we may see quite a different town but it's a while until then!!!

3. fieldmarshall

I take your point Westy and if the injured boys were fit it's a different story especially Williams, but Ward and Lawrence fast? That's something I've not seen and it means nothing if they are not getting any ball.
    We've not had a clever skillful mid fielder who can change the play with a defence splitting pass and play at pace since the Magilton era in my opinion.
    MMs fear of losing dictates his tactics and it infuriates me at times but then I think of Keane and Jewel and I know which I prefer, I clearly remember long drives home after another away day hiding and if not MM then who.
    We've all known for a long time that our players are mostly second raters and ME missed the bus in a big way at the end of the play off season and now the Chickens have come home to roost.

4. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

For me we don't lack creativity now other than in the style of play we are being asked to play, we have some decent attacking and creative players now but what we don't have and have lacked since Mick has been here is a playmaker, someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate play. A more progressive coach would've either bought one in or tried to make Skuse one as he does have some talent on the ball!!

5. fieldmarshall

Then we all agree that what we need is at least one skillful playmaker in mid field who can play with pace and boss the middle of the park, the slow predictable attacks we make are easily defended which is proven by our lack of goals, the only problem is that these players fetch a lot of money and are paid a lot of money so that rules Town out.