1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Leeds leeds leeds

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Next up, resurgent Leeds away.

Any early thoughts!? I'll write more as the week goes on.

2. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

We whopped their U-23's 4-0!

3. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Surely it's time to unleash the Best...start him, and take him off once he starts to tire, and can then bring on Pitman the super sub. I'll go for a usuall dour performance, but a 1-0 win. Hopefully Leeds lose tonight on penalties

San Diego likes this.
  4. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

Should be a good game hopefully. We are a lot more confident now than a month ago having now won 3 on the bounce (or 5 in 7 in all comps). Chris Wood appears to be in good form as well having 6 goals already this season. Garry Monk is a lot more comfortable with his best starting 11 as well.

So I imagine its all gonna go tits up and you'll run out 2-0 winners.

5. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

We're not usually involved in good games, we usually bore the opposition to submission, especially away from home. You can quite easily beat us, but you'll have to work damn hard for it

San Diego likes this.
  6. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I don't expect this to be a high scoring thriller by any means. The fact that Wood now has 6 goals in 10 matches and once played for us means he will go and bloody score.. (most former players tend to) I'd love us to go and sign him, but appreciate he will be bloody expensive given Leeds bought him for £2 million last season.

I reckon it'll be another gritty performance with the odd flash of something positive but ultimately an even 1-1 draw between two teams playing like mid table stalwarts

7. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I had to re read that a few times... But I think I know what you mean....

Westlake33 likes this.
  8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

2-1 win to Town
    Best and Bishop to score

9. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Bore draw

10. Westlake33

Spanish no idea what's going on but we're thinking the same of late, can well see a 0-0 here.

Team for me=

Bart
    Chambers / Webster / Berra / Knudsen
    Skuse / Douglas
    Ward Lawrence Sears
    Best

While Chambo has been not especially good singly, the defence have conceded 1 in 6 outings from open play I've been told by TWTD. I think the back 7 shield is making us very hard to get through - while Skuse/ Dougie combination doesn't excite me it seems to be protecting the back 4, and in theory it does give license to the front 4 to play a little bit more.

While Sears and co primarily are being instructed to protect the back 4 they need to ignore Mick a little bit more and offer more going forwards. We're not always going to keep a clean sheet with this defensive mentality, need to try to get the tempo a bit quicker and be a bit braver.

I do like the depth - likely to be without Bishop / Williams / Mcgoldrick but if the above were to happen we'd still have Grant / Bru and perhaps Varney who MAY NOT be quite so bad as I was fearing he sadly may be this time. Along with Best, Varney really did help to bring us into life a bit more last time.

Pitman - in this system I cannot see a role for you any longer. Vs Villa it was clear in this system you don't possess the pace / hold up play. Perhaps sub final 25 if we're to plump for a two man attack?

Need to get into Leeds midfield Saturday. I must confess I know little about them these days * goes on Soccerway.

Pablo Hernandez springs out ( looking at the Hudd line up unused sub ) had ability at Swansea. Rob Green haha some USA USA chants. Chris Wood's bound to score isn't he!?

Josh LUFC - players to watch and thoughts?

11. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Yeah,a back 7 just about sums it up,no wonder we don't concede too many goals.

And with Skuse and Douglas together in the middle the defence have very little outlet but to hoof it up in Pitman's general direction,leaving Ward with no service and looking lost.

As for anyone disobeying orders and trying to play football,look to see how long they last at the Club let alone in the starting 11<doh>

Spanish likes this.
  12. Westlake33

Very much a back 7 Al - sometimes even a back 9 but should we get results then I can't argue too much. Think Hernandez could be the difference tomorrow however.

I don't mean blatantly ignoring, however just trying to be a little more progressive/ quicker in the final third shouldn't be totally frowned upon. I do feel we have the handbrake well and truly on, finding our way into the game first 15 of each half and building. Problem is at some stage we're going to concede early then the game plan will be completely out of the window - take Brentford second half they scored from their first decent opportunity of the game.

13. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

14. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Come on Ipswich!

15. Bigalreigned

1-0 down at half time and Woolly Bremmer and Alex Mathie wonder if we have a Plan B,I'm often mystified as to whether we even have a Plan A!

16. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

More hoofball ****e!

17. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Bollux, Bollux, Bollux!!!

We are heading for oblivion!

San Diego likes this.
  18. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't go that far JWM but I'd like to see a change in manager asap.
    Turgid football even though we have more players who are comfortable with the ball than previous seasons.
    Frustrating :steam:

19. Bigalreigned

I agree SD,MM will always have a side capable of keeping us out of real trouble but we're just not good enough to challenge for promotion.It needs Evans to grow a pair and realise it.

San Diego likes this.
  20. Westlake33

Disappointing result this - said to my gf for a laugh while shopping for a suit " Lump on Chris Wood 1-0 " to which the Wendy supporter laughed. Neither of us laughed at full time however....

Big week this, two home games then we'll see where we are going into the international break.