1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lawro's weekly bollocks

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Bidley, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Seeing as we all like to critique (well, mostly me) Lawro's predictions, I thought his biased ramblings deserved a thread of their own.

This week's nonsense;

So let's break this down; we all know that our strong home and terrible away record are two of the few things Lawro knows about Fulham. Why does he say City will enjoy coming here? On the basis that they tonked us at the Cottage last season?

In a nutshell, he's saying "City aren't playing very well, Fulham are, and are good at home, but City will win easily". Beggars belief.

2. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

We have similar threads for just about every home game, and a good number of away games - they guy is a plum and always goes for the team in the higher position in the league (or biggest name) unless it's two of the "top 6" playing each other and he will sometimes go for a draw.

Last week he was spouting about how Paul Lambert run NCFC from top to bottom and Chris Hughton was just the manager <laugh>

3. Paulpowersleftfoot

Paulpowersleftfoot Well-Known Member

I'd take a point now
    If the bellend had watched any of our away games he would know we have been garbage so far
    Heading down this afternoon for the weekend,are there any away fans pubs near the ground?

4. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Haha, the Lambert/Hughton comparison stuck out for me too, I get the idea that that isn't true at all!

I agree with you about him favouring the top teams. I don't think he's ever tipped any team on our level to beat a top 6 team, in fact if his predictions were all correct we'd probably have been relegated 2/3 years ago!

The thing that, really, really gets my goat though is the fact that he's touted as the BBC's Football Expert, yet he quite ****ing plainly knows less about 80% of the teams in the PL than their fans do. He obviously only goes by what the media report, which explains why he knows nothing about Fulham as we're hardly a blockbuster PL team! Every single week he says "Fulham are **** away and good at home" or similar, and more often than that not that's the ONLY thing he says about our team. What a waste of my license fee!

I actually don't get nearly as narked at him on MOTD, but his predos just push my buttons.

5. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Welcome mate! I'm sure one of our regulars will fill you in with a decent away fans pub.

6. ThaiCanary

<laugh> To be fair, he's fairly accurate with that statement and I would think the majority of fans would agree but yes he will favour the big guns and if you look back through his predictions he keeps his cards close to his chest and rarely predicts more than a 2 goal winning margin. He has done it twice this season, one of them being your trip to Old Trafford and he went with 3-0.

No way should he be touted as "an expert" though, he is far from it and as you say he knows sweet FA about us "little" clubs. I thankfully do not contribute to his wages living all the way out here :grin: still a shame I have to read about him every bloody week though :mad:

7. ThaiCanary

For what it's worth, I have Fulham down for a 2-1 in our prediction league win <ok>

8. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Lawro annoys me as much as he does anyone else, and I certainly wouldn't want to be seen as defending him, but...

The thing about prediction contests is that long term, it pays to back the favourites. On any given week an upset can trip you up, but in the long haul you'll come out on top by always siding with the bigger teams. As they compare Lawro's scores with the various guest pundits, it makes sense for him to play the percentages.

I once took part in a prediction contest where you scored more points for a prediction that other people didn't make. If there are ten of you and nine pick City to beat Fulham with one going for Fulham, the result is worth 9pts if Fulham win and only 1pt if City win (1pt for each person who disagreed). It takes a lot more organisation, but it gives more credit to people who play their hunches and get it right. Mind you, there were only five or six of us in the one that I've just described. Trying to use that system with large numbers would be a nightmare, unless someone could program something to work it out automatically.

9. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Have a good weekend Paul and enjoy the game.

10. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, in fact I wholeheartedly agree, but it's become such a cliché and he churns that old chestnut out eveyr single week. Things are changing now, so every week it'll be "Berbatov plays for Fulham" as well as "Fulham are **** away".

It's not necessarily the results I have a problem with, it's the write-ups and the backing. Too many times he's said Fulham are a good side and are playing well etc and/or <opponent> aren't playing well etc, only to tip us to lose. More often he'll write four paragraphs on our opposition and drop in a sentence about Fulham as a token gesture, like he did for our game against United. That's what gets me.

11. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

Agree with Bidley... and given last year where we turned the game around from 2-0 to 2-2 I don't understand why City will be happy coming over here...

He is a fool... with the whole meaning of the word.

12. ThaiCanary

Not only is there a whole new meaning, it's spelled differently too - it starts with a T

Anyway guys, good luck against Man City and hope you keep your excellent home form going <ok>

13. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Cheers TC, do the rest of the league a favour and perpetuate Liverpool's misery :)

14. ThaiCanary

Oh I do hope so, love to see them bleating <ok>

15. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

There's no away pub right near the ground, if you are walking from Hammersmith area, The George across from the underground,
    The Duke of Cornwall around the corner from the Hammersmith Apollo, and if you walk along the Thames from Hammermith Bridge
    the nearest is The Crabtree on Rainville Road to the ground.
    Pubs round Putney Bridge will be mixed support, they keep changing their names, but Walkabout, Zulus, Star & Garter. Still a walk to the ground.
    Be aware it's Arsenal v Chelsea on early Sky so pubs may have Chelsea, so there might be more restrictions in getting in pubs.

16. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

To be fair, Mark Bright is also a BBC football "expert" and he predicted Liverpool would win the league last year so it's not exactly a high bar they set for using the term. At the end of the day, it's just his opinion and the predictor thing just shows him up as any celebrity have their guesses and beat him comfortably.

He also said this about our game against QPR "If Rangers had got a second goal, then that would have been it". Really? We won 2-1 so how would the second goal have killed us off? He's as thick as the heels on Tom Cruise's lofas and it bugs me that he's actually getting paid out of my license money but I don't let his predictions annoy me.

17. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Ah, but you see Spurs are the flavour of the week at the moment, you'd be a little more peeved if you rarely got a mention in any media article, especially having just won 5-0!

I wouldn't say I'm particularly let Lawro annoy me, I don't paint pentagrams on my kitchen floor in my own **** and burn effigies of Lawro's silly face, I'm just having a good old moan! :)

18. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

He's an unjustifiably miserable man- how terrible it is to pick up a hefty pay check just to watch football and apply his 'expert' analysis- he should have been got rid of years ago- he is getting steadily worse. The only place on TV for him is a talking head spot on 'Grumpy Old Men' and maybe a few insights on one of channel 4's various top ten shows, alongside of Craig from Big Brother 1.

How can they have 'Lawro' and Hansen together on the same screen, when Dalglish was in charge at Liverpool it bordered on ridiculous. "Ah no that's no Kenny's fault, just bad luck - top fella" There must be better options out there- the pool of football pundits can't be that small.

19. Paulpowersleftfoot

Paulpowersleftfoot Well-Known Member

Sadly I'll be coming from shopping with the wife in Knightsbridge

20. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Flavour of the week? I think it's just the media taking a step back after months of assassinating AVB, treating him like a know-nothing child and trying to stir up all sorts negative nonsense about the club.

Nothing wrong with a good moan, eh <ok> :D