1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Latimer Road west London

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Will be astonished if this building is still standing when I get up. Hope everybody got out but I doubt it. Atrocious catastrophe. :(

2. Brian Storm

3. Brian Storm

4. Brian Storm

Apparently these council buildings are riddled with dodgy electrics. But hey, there's one thing for sure. According to some the austerity that effects things like this is totally justified. Shouldn't make it political I know but it ****ing well is. Life is political. Shocking that failed blocks like this are still about. Shame on Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron. These death traps should have been wiped from these shores a long long time ago.

5. Brian Storm

**** me, sounds like it's still full off trapped people. <yikes> national tragedy.

Apparently they're landlord owned.

6. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed everyone got out.

I'm completely down the middle of politics but I thought it was Labour who created these monstrosities in the 70's. Around the same time they pulled apart Sunderland's beautiful train station and put up the tacky monstrosity we're now stuck with. A bad period for British architecture.

Although it did give us Joy Division.

7. Brian Storm

Yeah 70s, but by the time Thatcher had been and went it's become clear these flats didn't work on a safety level or on a society level. They should have been gone from this country a 1000 times over. It's not a party orientated dig. Both have had chance to rid this land off these death traps and it ain't no secret some of the poorest of our society are forced to live in the **** holes. It's scary stuff. man. These need to go, no excuse.

8. Disco down under

Agree with that. I think they're inhuman to be honest. People living crammed into buildings like rats in a sewer.

9. Brian Storm

No way to die. Many will have gone with the carbon monoxide but some are going to die in the most painful way possible. People still flashing their phones out of windows ffs. Horrifying. I'm off to bed fella, i'm concerned but done in. Need to kip

10. Disco down under

****ing horrendous mate. No way to live, no way to die. Get your mind on something else before bed!

11. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

This is horrific. Just reading about it now as I was in bed when it all started.

Apparently only 30 or so people are in hospital, some lucky enough will have escaped but it's a it's a block of 120 flats, I'm not a mathematician but I'd guess there's a lot of people unaccounted for.

Horrific tragedy.

12. Disco down under

It's all over our 6 o'clock news. Absolutely sickening.

13. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Dreadful news..

14. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Grim this like.

Its like a scene out of a film. But real.

**** knows how many dead.

15. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

I thought it was in a third world country not London ! the flats are far too high to start with, and no sprinklers so a recipe for disaster sadly as my dad, ex-fireman has said. 6 people have died sadly.

16. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Expect that figure to rise. That was some fire.

17. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I remember the time when the idea of high rise living was proposed as the way forward by architects and politicians. If the get rich quick brigade had been kept out of the equation all might have been well, instead of the disaster they turned out to be. It has to be said that few of the people expounding the idea of high rise actually lived themselves in the new Urban Utopia's of the 60's, more likely find them in the Shires surrounded by England's green and pleasant land.

18. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

All down to finance, life is cheap, when its somebody else's, and there is money to be made by cutting corners.

19. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

There's loads of these concrete blocks in London. TBH, it's easy to slag them off, but I know people who live in them and when you go round they're actually pretty decent inside. Plenty of light and room, but the lift shafts all stink of piss and how well they and the common areas are maintained is questionable. A lot of them are being modernized at the moment, but tragically too late for the people in that one. The best council flats are still the old 30s brick built ones that never went over 3 or 4 stories. They were properly put together and didn't need lifts as they weren't that high. The older tenants were housed on the ground floor and the younger families upstairs. Proper social housing, not this living in the sky bollocks...

BobbyD and Billy Death like this.
  20. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Glasgow is the same. Loads of high rises.
    A lot have been demolished but still a lot of them.
    The ones that have been flattened have been replace with just the same slums except on the ground.

Deleted and Sidthemackem like this.