1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Latics V Canaries

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Feb 7, 2017.

1. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I posted the following on the 'How long do we give him' thread, but it seems appropriate here as well:

In the interest of objectivity, as a result of our draw with Wigan, we are now second behind Huddersfield in the form table. We've taken 13 points from our last 6 matches. Other than Huddersfield on 15 points and Newcastle (who are behind us on goal difference), the other teams above us have all taken fewer points. IMO, there is no 'reality' in football - we may overtake other teams or we may not, but a prediction about the next 16 games according to last night's result has very little objective evidence to support it. The form table can and will change, but we need to also consider that we have played 2 more away games than home games, so 9 of those last 16 matches will be at home where we have been much stronger throughout the year. That we've taken 4 points from our last 2 away games could indicate that we're improving there as well. It isn't about a 'dream', it's about how we play for those last 16 matches.

2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Fair comment Rick and I was pleased to see that we didn't lose after going behind, but what I found really disappointing was our defending (or lack of it!!!) for Wigan's first goal and Ruddy's part in both Wigan's goals. IMO, he should have at least attempted to punch the cross that led to their first goal and what was he thinking for the free kick - had he been watching Chelsea V Loserpool???? <doh>

mike555 likes this.
  3. RiverEndRick

It's possible that Ruddy could have done better, but to me all of the 3 headed goals were very similar. If the cross is on to the head of the attacker, it's very difficult to defend against. I do think that both Ruddy and the wall could have done better with the free kick though.

JM Fan likes this.
  4. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Sorry, but Ruddy may as well have been sitting in the stands for the first goal. He just can't command his area at all.

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

It's odd, as in the last 2 home games he has been doing that a lot better.

6. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I heard from people at the games like yourself. Only one goal conceded in the last three as well.

JM Fan likes this.
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Some excellent thoughts from Gary in his article - http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...ity-as-the-struggling-latics-make-life-tough/
    I especially don't like AN's comments "What Neil also did was throw a six foot plus defender or two under the bus: ‘We can’t be much bigger as a team but you have to go and head the ball away when it comes into your box, It really is as simple as that … Big Mitch loses his marker for his goal but equally he is picking up Bogle for his header.’ "
    I thought ruddy was just as much at fault and these sort of comments should be for the ears of the team only - NOT the media!!!!! <doh>

canary-dave likes this.
  8. RiverEndRick

I have mixed feelings about that in this case. I don't like public criticism usually, but I do feel that we're entitled to know who should have been marking Bogle for his headed goal. At least AN did it in a balanced way, commending Dijks for his own headed goal after losing his marker and then pointing out that he should have been marking better for Bogle's goal. There are plenty on here who find fault for our defending without necessarily knowing the individual responsible. Dijks had a brilliant game again, my MotM again, but he should also take responsibility for his mistakes.

JM Fan and canary-dave like this.
  9. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

10. Forgot_My_Lines

I dunno if I've ever seen a GK, in the last few seasons, stand on his line doing nothing, like Ruddy did for that first goal.

Edit: He then continues to do it on every corner anyway.

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Sorry FML, bit I have to disagree.
    I've been to the last 2 home games and he has generally been coming off his line when a corner/free kick is say within the 6 yard box (like the one at Wigan), but for some reason, he TOTALLY failed to do that on Tuesday. <doh>

12. Forgot_My_Lines

I meant after that goal, there were a few corners after, and he stayed on his line again, despite the goal he had just conceded.

13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Sorry FML, I was just so livid with his ineptitude for conceding that goal, I didn't see that he made the same mistake later in the game as well - let's hope our goalkeeping coach has been working with him this week to correct that!!!!

14. Forgot_My_Lines

We have hoped that for a few seasons with Ruddy now....

JM Fan likes this.