1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Last movie you saw

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by James_8, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Thanks to Shanks

Taxi Driver...Just love watching it, again and again.

2. Thanks to Shanks

3. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

I have today witnessed a fine cinematographic presentation of such high calibre rarely seen in the refrying of past glories, to whit, 'True Grit'.

I commend the Brothers Coen and in particular their protege, the young but impressively skilled Hailee Steinfeld for her achievement in bettering the original performance of Miss Kim Darby.

Mr. Bridges has the most difficult of tasks in following what was an iconic appearance from a man with one lung to mirror Cogburn's one eye and much used to the ways of the 19th century American male. Whilst he does get endearingly close, it's as close as anybody was likely to get, as it would be should anybody ever dare to attempt to become Mr. Jeff Lebowski.

Mr. Damon has the easiest of tasks and has no trouble building on the mix of stiff propriety and comedic righteousness of the singer Glen Campbell as Texan Ranger Le Boeuf, or Le Beef as it is pronounced here.

Barring an adjusted finale, the story remains fundamentally the same, being drawn from the same book as the original, with much of the same humour. The difference is largely in the language, which has a way of placing the tale in time and place, where it has the advantage over its predecessor.

I must also give praise to the creators for keeping faith with what must be one of the finest lines of cinematic history ever authored. I shall leave it to the subsequent viewer to ascertain the words to which I refer but it always gets your correspondent feeling like a-whoopin' and a-hollerin'.

Now excuse me while I fix up a mess o' beans.

4. -jordan-

-jordan- Guest

never seen that. heard so many great things about it just never got round to catching it.............

...until now.

just downloa....got it and am going to watch it now.

5. Bozz

Bozz Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

I watched this at the weekend with the kids, it was alright.

6. RushFowlerGerrard

Watched revolver last night. Not bad, worht a watch. Jordan I bet you loved taxi Driver eh?

7. Thanks to Shanks

One of Guy Ritchie's worst films yet still not that bad, says a lot.

8. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Really liked Black Swan so surprised that so many didnt like it! I thought it was going to be rubbish just watched it with the wife, but it was good. It's like Fight Club with Ballet........... On that remark perhaps i'm wrong!

9. -jordan-

-jordan- Guest

hmm i was a lil disappointed to be honest. not as dark as i would have liked. not bad, but i expected more given the reputation of it