1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lansdown Taking Charge

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 26, 2016.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

BRISTOL CITY: Steve Lansdown assumes leading role in search for next manager at Ashton Gate.
    A Stockhausen

STEVE Lansdown will this week take personal charge of Bristol City's search for a new manager.
    The Championship strugglers are still seeking a permanent replacement for Steve Cotterill, who was sacked earlier this month following a run of poor results.
    His assistant, John Pemberton, has teamed up with City's Under-21 coach Wade Elliott to look after first-team affairs during the interim period and the pair have presided over games against Middlesbrough, West Brom and Leeds United.
    But with City still in the bottom three and just 18 games of the Championship campaign remaining, pressure is mounting on the Ashton Gate board of directors to announce their next move.

And majority shareholder Lansdown, recently returned from a holiday in Namibia, is now ready to involve himself fully in the process of identifying and appointing City's next manager.
    The club have been sifting through a short-list of potential candidates, a process that has gone far enough to now warrant the involvement of City's majority shareholder.
    That said, it is unlikely anything will be decided ahead of Saturday's home game against Birmingham. Those responsible for the running of the club want to avoid any knee-jerk reactions that might result in them making the wrong appointment and they are prepared to take their time.
    A series of high-profile candidates have been linked with the job, including former Everton and Manchester United boss David Moyes, ex-Leicester manager Nigel Pearson, Stuart Pearce and Neil Warnock.
    Such speculation appears to be wide of the mark, however, with the club believed to be seeking a progressive head coach with a track record of nurturing young players.

Amid all the uncertainty currently swirling around Ashton Gate, one thing is becoming increasingly apparent. With every day that passes without an appointment being announced, Pemberton's chances of landing the role for an extended period are increased.
    Highly thought of by the club's board members, the 51-year-old Lancastrian is seen as a steadying influence and a strong hand in difficult times. Lansdown and his board of directors are sure to consult Pemberton before making their next move in the management market.
    Certainly, the former Crystal Palace, Leeds and Sheffield United player has done his chances of staying on no harm in recent weeks, demonstrating a refreshing willingness to utilise young players and switching formation and adopting a flat back four in a bid to render his team more difficult to beat.
    In addition, the absence of a permanent manager does not seem to have undermined the club's efforts to recruit new players in the January window, Ben Gladwin and Alex Pearce both arriving on loan last week.
    Pemberton is working closely with head of operations Mark Ashton and director of football Keith Burt to bring more players into BS3 this week, it seems, the nation's bookmakers have installed him as favourite to land the manager's job until the end of this season for a reason.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTO...volve-search/story-28605618-detail/story.html

2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Relegation is nailed on then.

3. Who76

Who76 New Member

Unbelievable, sacks SC then goes on holiday, he waits nearly 2 weeks to come back to sort a new manager out. Is he just arrogant and thinks we won't go down or did he come back because the people left in charge are incompetent?

4. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I've always had faith in SL, but 'Such speculation appears to be wide of the mark, however, with the club believed to be seeking a progressive head coach with a track record of nurturing young players.' worries me. Looking at the candidates this suggests less Moyes and Warnock and more Stuart Pearce.

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I know not everyone on here agree with me but I have every faith in Steve Lansdown, just compare where we are now as an organisation to our recent past, we are a much better club on all levels, Christ he'll be blamed for not cutting the grass or sweeping the car park soon, how dare he take a break.

RedorDead likes this.
  6. Who76

Who76 New Member

He can take a break but when the club is in a bit of a crisis with No manager, deadline day soon and in relegation zone, is that an appropriate time to take a holiday??

7. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Both points of view have been expressed and are valid, I'm not going to argue with a fellow RED about somebody taking a break, too many things happening in our world to be getting on with.

8. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Cant see any problem with him going on holiday. I'm sure there were phones in Namibia and if they were going down the route of seeking applications rather that approaching someone, which seems to be the case, then that will take time anyway. (I'm not happy about that by the way as I was hoping they had someone lined up but that is a different argument :emoticon-0105-wink: )

Mind the gap! likes this.
  9. Caldicot Cider Red

Caldicot Cider Red Well-Known Member

I am with Wize on this one. OK, so we are in a buggers muddle right now, but without SL we would still be sitting in the old East end and Williams stands, and probably already in L1......he has enough top ranking staff under him to sort this out while he is on holiday. That said, the fact he has now taken over the manager search could well mean they failed in that particular job!...or that they are now down to interviews on the short list and SL wants to be hands on....

Mind the gap! likes this.
  10. Angelicnumber16

If Mark Ashtons role is Chief Operating Officer day to day for all football related matters, then why has Lansdown taken this task on himself I wonder ? What does it say about the rest of the Senior Management at the club ?

Frankly, this is turning into a bad soap opera, and given previous failings with Managerial appointments, I really have little faith in a decent Manager ending up in the hot seat.

Redprintt likes this.

11. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Thirteen years ago (would have to check... to state as a fact) BCFC owned Ashton Gate and was a club that operated sometimes in profit.

It depends on what your view is on what a football club really is. The FC is skint, struggling on the pitch and entirely under the control of one individual. The use of majority shareholder in the above text is disengenious. The club ( Mr Lansdown) is not answerable to anybody bar the club ( Mr Lansdown), shareholding outside of the majority shareholder ( Mr Lansdown) is an irrelevance. The club ceases to hold annual shareholders meetings = Not necessary.

If you view the FC to have a social context, a position where fans are members = important and the FC is a community asset that is an active participant in its Community. Bristol City is barely a club anymore.

12. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Probably not. Bristol City's former Chairman post Bristol City went on to help build the City academy ( not City) and other

Mr Laycock is still involved in creating similar facilities right now.

Ashton Gate almost certainly would have had stands redeveloped, and an informed opinion is that given Mr Laycocks support of the academy and grass roots football in Bristol the club would be producing more players of its own, and be a more intrinsic part of the community than it is now.

Without Mr Lansdown City were competitive and it should be noted that the club were competitive without creating enormous loss and debt that put it alongside some of the worst income in England.

It could be worse ... it could be much better.

13. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

I agree with most things you say Wiz but not so much this. He's a multi billionaire. He can go on holiday, literally any day he bloody wants. The clubs is in danger at the moment and his first priority should be getting a new manager in. Not going to Benidorm to get cheap lambert and butlers just so he can sell them on when he gets back home

raver and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  14. Angelicnumber16

Can't see Lansdown as a Lambert & Butler sort of bloke. More of a Dunhill or Sobranie Cocktail smoker I'd say

15. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

If we employed the chuckle brothers to find us a new manager/coach they would have done a better job.

16. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I'd love it if he pulls a prize rabbit out of his hat but if we end up with Pemberton it will just be a re run of the muppet Millen scenario, then things will really take a turn for the worse.

17. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I'm just gutted he hasn't sent any of you a post card.

18. Angelicnumber16

Could end up with another Coppell scenario if he's not careful....

19. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

But in fairness back in 96 a loaf of bread was about 50p or less and like everything else times have moved on including football. So back in 96 we was just about ok but that was then and this was now.

Premiershiporbust IV likes this.
  20. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

To be fair to Steve Lansdown he was on holiday before the Preston game (he was not there) and thus before Cotts was sacked

Redandy likes this.