1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kyle Walker Sold £50m

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by "Thanks for that Brian", Jul 13, 2017.

1. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

This aint a dig at you lockstock but the wage argument pisses me off.
    If a player earning £70,000 per week plus bonuses plus advertising endorsements leaves for more money then I do not understand.
    (Not saying that is why Walker left).
    £70k per week equals £3,460,000 per year.
    5 years of that equals around £18m.
    This is without any bonuses and endorsements.
    That is for just 5 years. Prior to this walker was already earning £30,000 per week for a couple of years (£1.5m a year) . He is 27 or 28 and would have earned over £10m so far excluding endorsements and had 4 yrs of a contract to run so could expect at least another £14m. The idea that money is a reason to move is a myth in my opinion...any top player moving for money is actually moving cos they are greedy.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

It's a difficult one. I wouldn't say that money is my primary motivator but a few years back I was working for firm when I found out that a bloke who was doing my previous job was being paid more than I was for doing the one I'd been promoted into.

It's next to impossible to work with someone who's very presence takes the piss out of you. I'm pretty sure that Kyle Walker would feel that during every international break. Watching John Stones do a poor impersonation of a PL defender whilst picking up £200k per week has got to be extremely falling at best and kill you inside at worst. Human nature is low and base and greedy. It's in our genes unfortunately. How much is enough?

LockStock and BobbyD like this.
  3. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

I think our purchases have been very successful in recent years. Far fewer duds than usual and many very good to excellent buys. Dier, Toby, Wanyama, Dele, Son all excellent buys. Davies and Trippier both solid purchases. Wimmer looked like decent cover for a while (and still might be) and Janssen should not be written off at all - he still looks decent even though he had a tough first season.

Okay, the N'Jie (and he looked alright too TBH) and GKN thing is a bit baffling but again it's too early to really judge.

Oh and there was Fazio. Though wasn't he done or lined up before Poch came in?

Now I'm missing out someone significant. Who could that be? Trying to think of a totally terrible, expensive, mystifying transfer that never, for one minute, looked like a success. Hang on...No. It's gone.

Seriously though - every club, every manager signs plenty of duds. I think Spurs' success rate in the transfer market in the last three years or so has been outstanding.

And since this thread is about a sale I'd also want to add that under Poch we've had a few eye brow-raising sales and each time the togetherness and the success of the team after that pruning has indicated that Poch knows what he's doing with regards to sales, not just purchases.

4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Yeah but don't you know footballers have a short career and they got to make all the money they can, not like us normal folk who will be able to make money till we are 70

:emoticon-0113-sleep

5. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

My only little issue with this is that we didn't take the piss in getting the deal done...sell him as close to the season starting as possible...disrupt a rivals preparations...my only conclusion is we have to sell to buy, hence wanting a big pay out upfront.

LockStock likes this.
  6. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

I hear you but...

... I agree with this. Plus I'll add, it's not so much greed. It's what is the going rate for top international players. He has a family to consider and a legacy to build. he's England's number one right back. When he's on international duty and he has Clyne as his backup earning more than him in the league he's gonna start asking himself questions. Any of us would. How long will it take for my current club to reach those levels of wage?

In the grand scheme of things, this is partly why we are getting a bigger stadium.

It just coincides with us needing some income, he's the plumpest asset that can be liquidated. I wish him the best.

7. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right about us signing fewer duds than usual, Lenny. We've definitely got better at it. If we look at those names you first mentioned, there's been some excellent buys.
    What we need to remember is that of Dier, Toby, Wanyama, Dele, Son, Davies, Trippier, who are all arguably the "regulars", 4 out of 7 had premier league experience (Toby, Wanyama, Davies, Trippier).
    Son wasn't great over all in his first season, and although Wimmer started very well, he's basically been frozen out.
    Dele is the exception and was an excellent buy that I don't think any of us thought would hit the ground running like he has.
    As for the others, they've not come in and managed to step up to the level required for various reasons.
    Sissoko isn't even worth talking about, as we all saw that one coming and to this day is just totally baffling.

What I think concerns me the most, is that I don't see us buying a right back from the PL that already has experience of the league. Therefore, whoever does come in, can they slot in seamlessly? Will we get someone who takes a while, which is time we might not be able to afford? Or will we have another Dele who turns out to be an incredible purchase? Looking at it from the point of view of it seeming likely to be a player from a foreign league, i'm not filled with a huge amount of confidence that we'll get the player to replace walker that we're hoping for. But I obviously hope I'm wrong.

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

We've got Trippier so if we are to sign another RB they'll have the fortune of a smooth bedding-in process. They won't have to be thrown into it straight away.

Trippier got the same amount of assists to Walker in a fraction of the game time last season. He might not be as defensively sound or as quick but the guy knows how to attack and I'm damn sure if given more subsequent time on the football pitch he'll be able to grab a lot more assists, his delivery is the best I've seen from a full back. Poch's track record with full-backs is ridiculously good; Shaw, Chambers, Clyne, Rose, Walker, Davies and Trippier have all excelled under him and I have every faith in Tripps stepping up to become our first choice.

I'd also rather throw the £50m into other areas of the squad and promote KWP. Coming off the back of an U20 World Cup win, KWP's morale isn't going to be higher, it's probably the best time to bring him into things now. He recently turned 20, and while that's still young, it's also an age where as a footballer you'd like to start playing competitive football.

9. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I highly rate Trippier, as I've previously mentioned, but as we also know, Poch likes to rotate the fullbacks. With the busy schedule that the league, CL, and domestic cups demand, is walker-peters ready for essentially 1 game a week at the highest level? It'll be amazing if he is, as we can strengthen elsewhere as you say, but I think it's more likely he'll just play domestic cup games this season, as he'll need his own bedding in time, just like the signing of another RB would. I just hope whatever option we go for firstly works out for us, and secondly, works out quickly, otherwise Walker's departure is really going to be quite evident.

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I don't see why he can't take over Tripps' role from last season to be honest. Walker started 31 Prem games and shared the CL game time with Tripps. While Tripps got 7 Prem starts, the domestic cups and the remainder of the European ones. That's a good amount for KWP to get and most of those won't be played under massive pressure so he can essentially be 'eased in'.

We'll never know if a player is ready or not until given enough chances but we seem to have far more success with either domestic signings or bringing through youngsters than we do with bringing in foreigners - or at the very least, more success in terms of less time to bed-in. If KWP can even have half the impact of what Winks had last season then it'll be a successful promotion of another youngster.

11. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

You make a good case mate, and I don't disagree. Just gotta remember that Trippier came with premier league experience and it's a bigger step up for KWP, than the one Trippier had. Hopefully he'll manage to break through in the same way Winks did. That'd be incredible if so. <ok>

12. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Players want to live a good lifestyle for the rest of their days and have that for their children too.
    They don't share the same club loyalty as fans; it's naive to think they do.
    Walker saw a big pay day and possibly better long term chances of winning major trophies (arguable I accept). If he retires in 7 years time with a few medals and a huge pension pot, then he'll be a happy man.

13. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

I wish Walker all the best. He has been a good player for Spurs, and if he wanted to return up North to be closer to family, then I'm pleased that Levy sanctioned this despite his stance of not selling direct to PL rivals. I like to think that Levy has the human and personal touch that we rarely see in public.

But I would like to pick upon what Roo says above. I don't think Poch actually does favour rotating the fullbacks. In fact, it's my opinion that he would rather have consistency in defence but has been forced to rotate Rose and Walker regularly as they are more susceptible to injuries as they like bombing up and down the pitch. Trippier doesn't do this and therefore it's probably not necessary to rotate the RB so frequently.

14. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

My point wasn't particularly about Walker or loyalty. I think he has gone cos of a break down of his relationship with Pochettino.

My point was that a 5 year contract at £70,000 per week equals approx £18m. This excludes all sponsorship seals which would add millions more. Over the course of a 10 yr career this would make a total of well over £40m for the player.

That is enough to set up a player and his extended family for several expensive lifetimes.

My point was that the money angle is a joke to me.

If I was offered double my salary it would make a massive difference to my family's standard of living and would erase any money difficulties and would guarantee us a holiday every year. The same is probably true of most people. The argument that a player doubling their salary is the same as us doing it is disingenuous in my honest opinion.
    I get I am in a minority but I find the greed aspect disheartening tbh.
    Sanchez demanding £400000 per week is purely obscene.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  15. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Completely agree.

When they talk about some players 'only' being on £100,000 a week and by moving clubs they could double it, I find that ridiculous.

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Completely agree mate.

When you're earning a Premier League footballer's wage, you no longer need to look at doubling your salary elsewhere for a better life. On £70k a week, you can afford 99% of the purchasable things on the planet and set future generations of family (and even close friends!) for life.

**** Kyle Walker. No respect from me and I hope his career falls to **** at City under a manager who's openly admitted he "doesn't coach the tackles" - good luck with that mate with Walker and Stones in your side. Poch made Walker and without him I think Walker will struggle massively... Or I certainly hope so anyway.

17. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Oh FFS, he's given us 8 years service and you say **** him ??

You can put whatever spin on this you want, but bottom line is we are weaker now than we were two days ago. You just don't come second and then sell a top player to one of your biggest rivals.

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah I do say **** him, and I'll say it over and over again - **** him.

I care only for the players who want to play for Tottenham Hotspur, if you wanna kiss his arse then be my guest.

Had he left for genuine footballing reasons, had he left to join a super club like Barca or Bayern I'd have wished him the very best but joining a team we've finished above two years in succession knowing damn well it's money-related, then he can go and get ****ed.

He stayed with us 8 years because he wouldn't have gone anywhere better pre-Poch. Pre-Poch he was lucky we never sold him to a Palace or West Brom because he was dire for a number of seasons but the thanks he's given to a manager and a club who's turned him into a world class right back is to shoot off at the first opportunity to a team waving a blank cheque in his face.

I know we're weaker, when I have said we're not? I've merely pointed out that it's now time to put our trust into Trippier who's a bloody good player in his own right and to continue trusting the manager who's made us into a real force.

19. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

"Genuine Football Reasons" ?

Genuine football reasons are wanting to play every week. I would suggest that this is all Walker wanted to do for us. Then along comes the ****ing supposed Messiah Pochettino and drops him for an FAC semi final.
    I would have felt the same as Walker did, well peed off.

I'm not "kissing his arse" and neither am I bringing the inferior Trippier into this. Walker has given us 8 years of service both on and off the field (go to academy games to understand what I mean by this) and deserves better than some of the comments on here.

20. I'm not going to say anything other than 'thanks and good luck' to Walker as he has been a bloody good player and representative for us over 8 years.
    Can't speak for the backroom stuff that OS mentions, but I do know that until the 2nd half of this season I cannot recall a game in which he gave less than 100% even when the end result wasn't the best. In fact, it would be a criticism of him that he sometimes let his commitment to the club and his teammates overshadow his performance - notably the infamous Chavs game 16/17.
    So I will certainly not be sending him off with any expletives, despite the fact that I think he's making a feckin' mistake leaving us at all, let alone for Pep and his band of Mercenaries.