1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kyle Walker Sold £50m

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by "Thanks for that Brian", Jul 13, 2017.

1. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

It seems Citeh's attempts at negotiations have folded and the deal is done at £50m, either including or plus add-on's depending upon the source. Good money for a good player.....Thanks for the memories Kyle.

Now, let's go shopping!

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We should never have agreed to this. Should've told them to **** off, right from the start.
    They're desperate for a good, homegrown player in his position and he's basically the only option.
    They paid £50m for John Stones, FFS.

The rumours seem to suggest that Ricardo Pereira will be his replacement for £22m.
    No idea if he's good enough, to be honest, but I doubt he'll be an instant improvement.
    Trippier will probably take the starting spot and he struggles against pacy wingers.

BobbyD likes this.
  3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I walk away for one lunch-time and this is what happens.
    And 50m : hardly Levying is it.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. "Thanks for that Brian"

When we told United that Kane and Dier weren't for sale and said nothing regarding Kyle, his fate was sealed. As long as we have lined up really good buys with the money, I can live with it. If we're gonna **** around on TDD, like we did last year, I shall be sorely miffed. We've known he was going for months and I expect signings this week.

I've seen him a few times on BT Sport and Pereira looks good to me. Not as strong as Kyle, a little more like a right sided Danny Rose. Lots of energy and good final ball. He'll do well, I think.

I expect the Ross Barkley deal to be done soon too. He's such a Mauricio Pochettino player and if we can get his head right then he'll be a bargain. After all, before Mauricio Pochettino got Kyle's head right he was going to be Trippier's back up.

5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

TalkBALLS led with the headline Here are the words Tottenham fans have been dreading all summer

The odd thing is I saw no mention of Sissoko's contract being extended

Roo, Lovearsenalcock, BobbyD and 2 others like this.
  6. "Thanks for that Brian"

Just seen that L'Equipe are reporting that we contacted Lyon to buy Rafael a couple of weeks ago. Now, that's a close thing.

7. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

If this transfer goes through, then I will be fuming. Our team will be weaker and our squad will be weaker and at the same time, we will have strengthened one of our main rivals. Furthermore, yet again, it sends out the wrong message and it's no wonder some people see as a selling club.
    The full back is a vital part of our game plan under Poch, and if Trippier is to be our first choice RB, then we have most definitely weakened the team. There are not 6 or 7 RB's in the PL who are better than Kyle Walker, but there are certainly 6 or 7 better RB's in the PL than Trippier.
    I'm not happy.

8. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

For anyone who wants to pretend to their mates that they know all about Pereira:

I can see what you mean about him being more like Danny Rose. Some scrapping tackles and pacy runs in there.
    Interesting to see a fan-made video with a fullback actually defending, to be honest.
    Why was he playing left-back quite a bit, though? Walker-Peters will be able to relate, at least.

9. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Is it even proceeding in the first place ??
    You of all of us are best placed to say what has happened to make it so.

10. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I guess it all depends on the player. Poch is clearly of the opinion that you're either fully on board, or go find another crew to sail with. I doubt,for example, that he would've insisted on holding on to Modric for the extra season once it became abundantly clear that he wanted out.

What saddens me is that this all appears to boil down to one single game of football that Kyle was (inexcusably) dropped for and has had the hump about ever since. I had hoped that player and manager would shake hands and move on, but that doesn't appear to be the case. It's like 3 years of continuous growth was flushed down the toilet by one poor tactical decision - and even then Poch had every right to stand his ground as Trippier played in every round prior to the semis.

And as I've said elsewhere, the sticking point with a player like Kyle is that there is no way under the sun he would move abroad. Not a chance. Which leaves a move to one of our rivals as the only viable option. If for example Eriksen, Toby or Alli started moping for whatever reason, I can see Levy pulling out the 'no rivals' riot act as he has done in the past.

11. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

As I've said elsewhere, the fee is only palatable if we've now been given first refusal on Itchy. If not, I'll be left feeling rather underwhelmed.

12. "Thanks for that Brian"

I was listening to Hawksbee and Jacobs this afternoon and Paul Hawksbee said that he lives very near to Kyle's and that a fellow neighbour had been told that Kyle wanted to go back 'oooop nooorth' at some time. This was 2 years ago. Add that to a massive pay day in what's likely to be his top earning years and it makes sense for him.

For us? I get the impression that we needed a sale to do the business Mauricio Pochettino wants and with Trippier, KWP and maybe Pereira, we could afford to lose him most. Just as long has we don't see departures like '08 or 2012, we'll be fine

Thanks Kyle!

crackerman jack likes this.
  13. Would love to look on the bright side (and there may be UP TO £50m reasons to do so), and I'm a fan of KT, but IMHO this is a bad loss at this point in the clubs development. 12 months down the line - even if the cash dropped a bit - would be another matter.

This will potentially come back to bite us and not least because we are strengthening a direct competitor. Hope I'm proved wrong....... :emoticon-0138-think

14. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Walker has dramatically improved under Poch but I'm a big fan of Trippier even though he doesn't have the pace of Walker.

If we can get Ricardo Pereira and a CAM for the £50million then I guess it's a good business move.

It massively strengthens Man City though.

Knowing Spurs though we won't buy anyone and KWP will be Trippier's understudy and then panic on deadline day and buy another Sissoko as CAM.

15. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Really disappointed to have strengthened city. At the beginning of the window I said I would only be ok with this sale if we got a top striker off them as we would be strengthened as well as them but this is the worst of both worlds imho.
    We are now going to have to get a Walker replacement as well as a top striker.
    We are in danger of not getting players in soon enough...again!

BobbyD and Spur of the Moment like this.
  16. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

We may never know why Kyle fell out of favour with Pochettino, but he clearly did as his absence from every big match from the semi final onwards showed.

For the last 2 seasons he has been the best right back in the premier league bar none, but whether Guardiola will be able to get that Kyle Walker week in week out it will be interesting to see.

A record fee for a defender who was possibly (despite being the best RB in the league) our weakest first choice defender is quite an achievement. As others have said if the money is spent wisely on another player with a champions league pedigree to compliment Trippier, and a striker then we may not be weakened by this.

17. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Well I must be to only one who will be pleased to see Trippier start. His crosses are far better to Walkers and Walker is not without his mistakes. Walkers strength is his athletisism, and I love his crisps (just as Gary L) Walker is 27 years old and probably has 2-3 years before he starts slowing down. Then the dreaded Man City bench beckons. I think we have seen the best of Kyle Walker, downhill from now on.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  18. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

That awkward moment Walker bombs forward and then realises he doesn't have Dier/ Toby covering him, looks back and sees John Stones standing there crying not knowing what to do should a counter attack happen.

20. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

If a player wants to go he won't give his best for the club so goodbye Walker and good luck, I think you might need it.

deedub93 likes this.