1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kris Commons

Discussion in 'Celtic' started by EspaniaCelt, Oct 30, 2016.

1. EspaniaCelt

EspaniaCelt Well-Known Member

2. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

I reckon so.

He's been a great servant. I would have loved him to reach 100 goals... But it is what it is.

BR has been honest and up front with him. Hopefully he gets at least the chance to say adios.

EspaniaCelt likes this.
  3. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think he fits in to BR plans or style of play and, imo, we have better players in Sinclair and rogic that can do what commons could do ...

At 33 , he should move on for a new challenge

He might go back to England or maybe Lennon could get him on loan to help them get promoted ?

Patience and EspaniaCelt like this.
  4. Patience

Patience Spastic Arab

He still has something to offer, just not at Celtic. Great servant over the past 4/5 years, just lacks a bit of speed now.

Wouldn't mind seeing him at Hibs with Lennon.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    EspaniaCelt likes this.
  5. EspaniaCelt

That's my thinking - that he might go to Hibs. He and Lennon appeared to get on very well when Lennon was our manager and if I remember correctly, Lennon had nothing but high praise for Commons and was quoted as saying that he hoped he'd remain at Celtic in some role after his playing days had finished ... of course, that was when Lennon probably thought he, himself, would remain with us forever!

6. VenomPD

VenomPD Merrick jr

He didn't kick a ball last season. Forrest, Stokes, Mulgrew and Commons downed tools under Ronny.

I'd have punted them all to **** in the summer not just Stokes and Mulgrew. Giving Forrest a 4 year deal was baffling too.

Mind The Duck likes this.
  7. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

Rodgers wants athletes in his side so if tom Rogic can only last 60 minutes I reckon Commons would last about 15.

I wish him all the best, he was at times fantastic for us and scored some brilliant goals. <ok>

Null and VenomPD like this.
  8. VenomPD

VenomPD Merrick jr

He was knackered after 30 mins under Ronny last season. Looked like a tortoise towing a cart through a tarpit half the time.

Null and DevAdvocate like this.
  9. Null

Null Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But Forrest has come on under Brendan ...

Could he have done something with mulgrew ?

10. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

Forgive the cliche' but I like James Forrest. Always have. He's a bit like McGeady and Marmite, you love em or hate em.

EspaniaCelt likes this.

11. EspaniaCelt

The first time I saw Forrest play, I thought he was a superb talent and I've always liked him too, even though it's been frustrating watching him drop the head on many occasions - especially under Deila who, it seems, had written him off. It's obvious that he's a 'confidence' player who needs constant encouragement which, to Brendan Rodgers great credit, he must be getting at the moment.

DevAdvocate likes this.
  12. VenomPD

VenomPD Merrick jr

He started the season brilliantly but he also started brilliantly under Lennon & Deila then faded.

The last few games he's been utterly rotten. I'd start with Roberts every time over Forrest.

Null and EspaniaCelt like this.
  13. EspaniaCelt

Can't agree that he's been "utterly rotten" - yes he's had a difficult time and Roberts has also had fruitless days as well but their individual attacking roles are probably the most difficult on the park. When teams 'double-up' on and crowd out such players, as they often do, it can be hard for them to have any impact unless they change tactics and simply move/pass the ball on quickly while moving off the ball to make themselves available for return passes or to draw opposing players away. That side of both their games could certainly be improved and hopefully Rodgers has that in hand.

VenomPD likes this.
  14. VenomPD

VenomPD Merrick jr

I've got no sympathy left for him at all. He's conned the club out of a 4 year deal in my opinion and after yet another bright start is putting in half-arsed showings.

Should have cut our losses when we had the chance in the summer.

EspaniaCelt likes this.
  15. EspaniaCelt

Just can't see how the club could have been 'conned' at all - they've seen him for years now and how he's performed, as you pointed out, under both Lennon and Deila so they must know exactly what they're getting by now. Anyway, I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree - we probably all have players we'd happily see replaced.

VenomPD likes this.
  16. Patience

Patience Spastic Arab

Forrest is a strange one. He's not really got much going for him other than a bit of pace in my opinion, but he's a good player to have around.

EspaniaCelt and VenomPD like this.
  17. rogueleader

rogueleader suave gringo

Poor haircut and no neck. Show him the door.

Null and VenomPD like this.
  18. VenomPD

VenomPD Merrick jr

<laugh>

19. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Charlie was training with us. If he'd have impressed BR I am sure he would have tried to keep him.

Null likes this.
  20. Bhoy From Brum

Bhoy From Brum Well-Known Member

Never was a massive Commons fan, wasn't anything personal just the team was built round him and while it was great domestically in Europe I felt his lack of pace slowed us down when we needed pace to break.

In saying that he was a quality player for us and a good servant, heard if he gets himself fit enough he will get a run out at home to say goodbye which is a great touch