1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes - Ascot 29th July 2017

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Bostonbob, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Bostonbob

Bostonbob Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017
  2. Davidquinn

Davidquinn Active Member

Highland Reel vs Idaho vs Ulysses vs Frontiersman will be the main protagonists running at the head of betting as far as I can work out, the first two full brothers which will add a bit of publicity to it. Not a clue where my money would go at this stage

3. Davidquinn

Davidquinn Active Member

Highland Reel seems a worthy favourite for the King George on all known form. I think Ulysses will give it a far better crack against him at 12f this time round, but it was such an impressive performance the last time you just wonder whether that's his optimum distance, and my money would be on Highland Reel were they nose to nose entering the final furlong. Frontiersman only has to find a couple of lengths improvement based on the coronation where he came from way off the pace. Wouldn't trust that lunatic not to veer off horizontal at some point though. Can see a very tight finish in store with 2/3 horses within a length or two - in that scenario you'd have to back Highland Reel to outbattle them

Ron likes this.
  4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Enable confirmed as likely to miss this to take on the fillies in the Yorkshire Oaks

5. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

Frontiersman hasnt a hope in hell, hes not a Group 1 horse. Idaho also looks to have a mountain to climb on form.

Dont think Ulysses is going to run here, Enable isnt running.

The King George was put forward as the main target of Jack Hobbs after he won in Meydan and he looks the only bet against the fav at 10/1 in the hope that there is some rain about.

6. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Just double checked, confirmations and supplementary entries (£75,000) are on 24th July with declarations the usual 48 hours in advance of the race.

Full race conditions here:

CLOSED ON JUNE 13TH
    Confirmed entries with weights published on July 25th
    Declarations to run must be made by 10.00a.m. on July 27th
    THE KING GEORGE VI AND QUEEN ELIZABETH STAKES (Sponsored by QIPCO) (CLASS 1) (Group 1) (British Champions Series)

Total prize fund £1150000
    Distributed in accordance with Schedule (F)9.2.4
    (Includes a sixth prize)
    £652165 to the winning horse
    The second to receive £247250, the third £123740, the fourth £61640,
    the fifth £30935 and the sixth £15525

for three yrs old and upwards
    ONE MILE about FOUR FURLONGS, Swinley (11f abt 211yds)
    Enter by noon, June 13th and pay £3500 stake
    Scratch by noon, July 11th or pay £4500
    Confirm by noon, July 24th and pay £2000
    Supplementary Entry by noon, July 24th and pay £75000 stake
    Declare by 10.00 a.m. July 27th
    Weights: 3-y-o colts and geldings....8st 10lb; fillies
    8st 7lb
    4-y-o and up colts and geldings.....9st 7lb; fillies
    9st 4lb

7. Davidquinn

Davidquinn Active Member

Sticking my neck on the line and saying that I think ULYSSES runs in this and wins.

On the upgrade and improving with every run, he's won over 12f before and I don't think you can value the form behind Highland Reel in the breeders cup that highly given that Heffernan stole the race from way out. His run behind Highland Reel at Ascot (albeit over 10f) showed that he was closing the gap with that rival, and it could be a key stat that no 5 year old has ever won this race.

Stoute has him exactly where he wants him now, knows him better than anyone, and has always thought him to be a potential superstar. Crowley knows how to get a tune out of him also, and my confidence is at the same level as before the eclipse.

If he runs he wins for me, so am happy to take the 6s with paddy. Seen nothing from connections to suggest he won't be running, and a recent interview with Crowley suggests this is the next race for him.

8. As We Know

Plenty of 5yos have won the race, the last Eclipse winner to win the race, Opera House 25 years ago, was a 5yo. Swain won it at 5 and 6, Daylami won it at 5, Mtoto also at 5.

I think the reason for 3/4yo domination is that very few top class horses are still racing at 5 as they have already earned their stud career by that point.

Davidquinn likes this.
  9. Davidquinn

Davidquinn Active Member

Fair one, was only looking at stats going back the last 20 years or so.

My idea of the 1-2-3: Ulysses, Frontiersman, Highland Reel

10. As We Know

If Ulysses runs and its fast ground id fancy him as well, I wouldnt run him though as its usually a tough race and it would be his 3rd G1 in under 6 weeks. I suspect he could run another big race but I think if you have targets later on like the Arc or Breeders Cup, the Juddmonte is by far the better option for him. Go for the King George next year if doesnt work out in the big end of season races this time.

11. Davidquinn

Davidquinn Active Member

Totally get your point, just hope Stoute sees it differently. Depends on what their long term plans are with the horse I guess. Short term I think they may see this race as more winnable than the Juddmonte. Barney Roy would be a tough one to crack again I think in that given that he's similarly progressive. You know what you're getting with Highland Reel, he's a top class performer but I think they'd fancy they've improved past him

12. Doalittle

Doalittle Well-Known Member

Will Ulysses ever run over 12 furlongs again? I would have thought he'd run in the Juddmonte and then the Irish Champion Stakes followed by the British Champion Stakes. Although he'd do well to win one of them.

13. As We Know

Doubt he will run in Ireland and pretty sure he will run in the BC Turf again.

14. Davidquinn

Davidquinn Active Member

Why wouldn't he run over 12 furlongs again? He has an out and out stayers pedigree, Stoute has never had any doubts about his class over that kind of distance, and he's won over that distance before. He was actually staying on well enough in the breeders cup but just got caught out by Heffernan stealing a march on them before the straight

15. Doalittle

He was well beat in the BC. Found cruised past him under hands and heels after Ryan Moore had given up all chance of winning. There's no way you can convince me that run is worth noting for the purposes of group 1s. He didn't beat any group 1 horse's.

Just think he's better over ten. He travelled well into the race at Sandown and looked like the trip really suited him. I know the sectionals weren't blistering in the Eclipse but I think he needs them to go a reasonable pace. He's a quirky bugger who's only managed to beat The Major General over 12f.

16. Davidquinn

Davidquinn Active Member

I always assumed he was better over 10 as well, but don't think the evidence is there yet to say that with much confidence. You can almost draw a line through last year's form such is the improvement that's been eeked out this year. Stoute has always been convinced he can be top class over 12 and breeding suggests so too. Proof will come when he commits him to a top class 12f race as the improved 4 year old that he is, hopefully that'll be the King George

17. Doalittle

Has he improved that much? I think they've just found the conditions that suit him, ie fast ground, ten furlongs, arrive as late as possible and have half the field wiped out by the pacemaker like in the Eclipse.

18. As We Know

From tailed off in the Derby and beaten in a Group 3 at Windsor to highest rated middle distance performance of the season, I think its safe to say he has improved a bit.

19. Doalittle

All he's done is beat a three year old, barely.

20. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the Eclipse was a muddly race, off a slow gallop. 2 horses where badly interfered with to, so I wouldn't be getting carried away with it being the best middle distance race in the UK this season.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017