1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Kids games, kick the can.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by cumbrianmackem, Feb 22, 2017.

1. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Anybody remember playing kick the can when they were young.
    Spent many a summer holiday running wild playing made up games....
    Ally's (marbles)
    Arrows (Dowling wood with cardboard flights thrown by a piece of string).
    Hide & Seek, an obvious one.
    Multikitty.

Anybody got any others, kick the can was my favourite.

2. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

Chucks, pitch & toss & drawing wickets on the wall with chalk playing cricket across the street with a tennis ball.

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  3. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

We used to play mountakitty (suspect its the same as multikitty)and for all of you young uns who have grown up in a sanatized world its where one team had to jump on the backs of the other team who were lined up against the wall in a sort of single file rugby scrum. When all of the team were "mounted" the head jumper used to put up his hand and say mountakitty, mountakitty finger or thumb or little granny's nook and one of the other team had to guess if you were holding up index finger/thumb or little finger. If they guessed right the roles were reversed if not they got a good pounding again. Some of the daft Cnuts didn't realise when it was sunny you just had to check out the shadow to see what was being held up they couldn't understand why the were always "on" <laugh>

Another game we used to play was Zulu (from the just released film) where one class pretended to be the welsh guards and used to defend the bike shed (Rorkes Drift) while the rest of the school charged them and a big f**k off fight would ensue - that got stopped tho when one of the lads got knocked out <laugh>

4. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

2 teams, a tennis ball, an empty can and 4 lolly sticks. Don`t recall it having a name other than `sticks`.

The can was set up with the lolly sticks in top like #. Each team took turns to knock it over. The team that knocked it over had to put it back together. They were stopped by being hit with the ball and could take no further part. The game was won when the can and sticks was put back together or all had been hit.

Usually 4 or 5 a side. One of our favourites that one.

5. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

British Bulldog. Health & Safety would veto that game in the school playground nowadays.

6. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Fortunately footballs were affordable when I was a kid. So we played football. Virtually every day of our childhood. Bliss.

7. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Did none of you ever play 'catchy kissy' . . . . that was my favourite :emoticon-0109-kiss:

p.s. no . . . . not with boys !

8. cumbrianmackem

Pops,
    That sounds another version of my kick the can, the rules were just the same but we didn't have a tennis ball, we were really poor round our end<laugh>.

grandpops likes this.
  9. cumbrianmackem

Football was a must, we played as much as we could, never remembered it raining at all but obviously it did.

Brian Storm likes this.
  10. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

If any one of us had a tennis ball there was immediately at least a dozen games we could play.

iirc most them seemed to revolve around some variation of hitting each other with it. <laugh>

11. cumbrianmackem

We went through a time when we played with catapults in the extensive grounds of our Methodist Chapel, there were loads of trees to climb and bushes to hide behind, we actually used to fire metal staples at each other, proper staples that you used to nail wiremesh to posts.
    Thinking back we could have had each others eyes out or worse but as kids you never saw the danger.

12. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

We used Redhouse comps goals !, proper metal ones as well, they also had rugby posts. Played on our 'top field' as well with jumpers for goal posts. Used to hate games at school, avoided rugby and hockey, used to get a crack off them sticks every so often, In the middle of winter freezing our feet off how we did not die of pneumonia I will never know, the 5 mile run was canny kept you warm. Used to paint a goal on the back of someone's shop wall, and some times hit one of the windows and scarper, or a back alley wall with the coal chute door, remember them ? that was down Roker avenue area in the 1960's. Happy days.

13. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

A game that got banned was squash in the corner some unsuspecting first year would stand in the corner and everyone would just pile in and flatten the little f ucker while singing squash in the corner keep ourselves warmer i am sure the little lad enjoyed it<laugh>

14. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Kerby was one of my favourites.

15. safcycharlie

safcycharlie Active Member

Aye i remember kicking the tin. Tig, hide and seek. Footy, cricket using bins as wickets, tennis when Wimbledon when it was on, Olympics when they were on, knocky nine doors, marbles, conkers. All these played in the street. Good old early sixties

16. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Playing footy and cricket in the back lanes. Using neighbours gates as goals and driving them crazy

Having bonfires in the back lanes on Bonfire Night. Firing rockets down the lanes on to the main road and scattering like **** if we hit something.

17. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Did you wear your Sunday best skirt for that Gordon?<whistle>

18. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

We never had much cash so we used to set fire to **** for fun.

That was fun in a way that will forever be lost to me.

Be right back... I think I want to set fire to something.

19. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Kick the Can sounds like a game we played called Cannon..As a youngen we played loads of games, all of which entailed running, dodging each other and often fighting like hell. It was very rare you sew a fat kid back then..