1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

kevin nolan

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by frogman27, Jun 10, 2011.

1. frogman27

frogman27 Member

reports this morning suggest that we are interested in signing kevin nolan. At first i was underwhelmed, but reading on my mind was changed. He is 28 and notched 12 goals last season. Solid in a tackle and creative too. Geordies want 6 million for him. Sounds like just what we could with.

2. rocky57

rocky57 Member

I think Nolan is a wholehearted player, not sure if he is exactly what we need at the moment. I'd like someone more creative to fill DM's ageing boots (whom you praised so fulsomely on another thread).

While on the subject, we hear Jol is keen on Keane - I'm not.

3. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Oow! I like Nolan. He's good. He's not fast, but he's got that natural nose for goal.

I still think we need pace up front. I'd be happier if we were talking about Rodellega or the other Wigan striker whose name can't be spelled.

I have no interest in Robbie Keane ... 65K a week in salary I've read. Andy Johnson is better, IMO

4. Cottagecravens

is he all CM ? He gets goals, good in the air as well but would he venture south....these northern lads like to hang out locally, Murphy excluded.

5. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

I haven't really watched Nolan all that closely - just seen his goals on MOTD. Still, we could use a goalscoring central midfielder, and at £6m he would be good value. Some of the money would no doubt be recouped by offloading Dikgacoi and Greening.

I was er . . . keen on Keane in January, but then he looked pretty inept playing for West Ham towards the end of the season. His best days look to be behind him - El Hamdaoui seems like the more exciting option. I wonder what Jol's appointment means for Eidur Gudjohnsen's chances of staying.

6. valjing

valjing Member

According to todays gossip column,our 2 new proposed signings,
    Keane & Nolan do not in anyway inspire me,with enthusiasm.

7. Cottagecravens

Keane no thanks. Nolan I think we could do with some of that in the middle of the park.

8. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

There's also word that Pantsil and Kamara were released. I"m sad about Pantsil. The Sun cited his wages as a problem, plus the fact that Jol wants to bring in some younger players.

9. Penguin

Penguin Member

Based on the dubious accreditation of "People who did well in Penguin's fantasy football team" I can confirm that Nolan is a useful player. Whether he's what we need is another matter. I think we're all agreed that money (apparently £15m according to some of today's papers) could be better spent on other positions.

As I've said in another thread I'm not keen on Keane. I really think his time has gone (some years ago in fact). He wouldn't even make the bench at Penguin FC

10. frogman27

frogman27 Member

i think that this interest, if true, could put danny's role in the team under threat. As mentioned before danny has been pivotal in our recent success, a truly intelligent footballer. However, if my memory serves me well, jol played very attackminded football at spurs in a 4 4 2 system. If jol wants nolan it could as much to do with his ability to go box to box. Murph's lack of pace may not fit well with jol. I feel he would sooner play sidwell and a box to box player, with sidwell taking over playmaking duties as well as pushing forwards more. I would be guuted to see murph's ousted out but i think jol bought him in at spurs, barely played him and then sold him on.as for keane, this would a dreadful signing. I would go with zamora, aj, el hamdaoui and hoeson for strikers.

11. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

As I recall, when Spurs bought Murphy the received wisdom was that Murph was excellent as the most attacking central player in a five man midfield, but struggled in a four man midfield. This was one of the reasons I was a little concerned when we signed him. Of course, the last few years have shown that Danny works great in a four man midfield. Whether that means that received wisdom of a few years back was wrong, or that he's worked on his game and improved since Jol sold him, I don't know. Either way, I think there's still a chance that Danny will be given the chance to prove his worth to Jol.

And if he isn't, or if he fails to, it's not the end of the world. I've loved Danny Murphy for us and I would love him to stay at the club, but of all our regulars he is the one whose 'best before date' is closest. The natural end of his time in the first eleven is coming sooner than most, so it's less of a disaster if he gets moved out than it would be with a younger player. To a lesser extent the same applies to Gera and Pantsil.

12. rocky57

rocky57 Member

I've just read somewhere that Keane is being offered at a 'cut-price £4m and his wage demands are £70,000 pw'! AJ I believe is on £40,000 pw and is valued less I believe. I know who I'd prefer.

13. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

Don't want to see our team spending that amount of money for Keane. AJ does the same job and cheaper...

Regarding Murphy I am sure Jol has watched a couple of Fulham games over the past few months and he will know the role Murphy is playing. Saying that we need to plan on succession for Danny. Personally I would like to see O'Hara.

14. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Yep, O'Hara in preference to Nolan although he says he'd like to stay at Wolves.

15. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

Rocky, everybody says they would like to stay where they are until the offer is on the table. If I am not wrong he is on loan from Spurs.

The other option is to get Dembele in the midfield. Technically he is very good although not as good in defending.

16. Captain Morgan

As others have said elsewhere, I don't think Dembele's speed (and quality) of decision making is good enough at the mo (if ever) for central midfield.

Also, I'm not keen on Nolan - too old and, almost certainly, too big a wage demand. Someone younger and cheaper would be better. Particularly if they are, indeed, also better.

17. Cottagecravens

Have you seen Nolan's game to goals ratio....85 games / 29 Goals.....ok a bit in champ. 28 is not that old. Murphy is what 34/35.
    I'd take him esp at the price being banded about the shop.

18. Captain Morgan

28 is younger than I thought he was. Maybe Nolan would be all right, although I still think we will get better value for money with a young hungry type willing to take a lower wage than Nolan would demand. The only trouble is, I have no idea who that would be. This is a job for the unfortunately named scouting sibling!

19. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

As I said in the other thread, Nolan would be good support to Bobby and could be got for around £4m. Seems a good punt.

If we bought him, Dembele may be the one to suffer not Murphy.

Whatever, please no, no, no to Keane. Not that bothered but his horrible miss probably put the Hammers down. And he had just as many mares at L'pool.

20. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

I agree. I cannot see what this fascination is with Robbie Keane. The Sun was talking the link up this morning but for me Keane is past it - i know he is only around 30 but some of the football he played in a poor West Ham team was shocking and he scored very few goals (if any - didn't take too much notice I must admit). I can't see what he would add to be honest.