1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kempton to close in 2021

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by PNkt, Jan 10, 2017.

1. stick

stick Bumper King

They have statues there but I do not believe they are buried there.

Edit, both were cremated and their ashes are buried there!

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Woah. That is Holy ground. They can't dig those up. Maybe, if the ashes are buried with the statues, the statues will remain as grand features and there will be Desert Orchid Place , Kauto Star Square (for example). As long as the houses built there are befitting those legends

3. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I think they will dig them up and move them before they sell the land then, as I can't see them selling the land and saying the new owners can't touch the statues and the ashes.

Whoever they sell it to will be free to do what they want with the land, as they own it.

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not if there are conditions on the sale Shergs

5. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

With Kempton specifically in mind, the advent of “all weather” racing has been the catalyst of its demise.

I can remember the days when they used to have quite a few decent fixtures on the flat. They did have a number of pattern races, including a couple of Classic trials, which have now all become pretty insignificant as they are not run on turf.

I am pretty certain that Kempton opted for replacing turf with sand because there was the guaranteed income from a plethora of bookmaker sponsored fixtures, even if they attracted little in the way of crowds.

My only visit to Kempton was to see Desert Orchid – and he did not even run. He was entered in a three-runner race (he had scared off all the opposition) as a warm-up for the King George. When the ground came up fast, David Elsworth took him out of the race but did allow Janice Coyle to parade him in front of the stands so that everyone got to see him.

In those days everyone was not so bothered about image rights so I was able to get a photography pass and be on the track. I subsequently got a pass at Sandown when Dessie ran in the Gainsborough Chase and got a picture of Pegwell Bay at the Pond Fence as he jumped up alongside the favourite who ended up giving him more than a stone and a beating. Not what I went to get! I did get a good picture of him going down though.

floridaspearl and SaveTheHumans like this.
  6. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Would love to see those photos of Dessie QM - do you have them electronically to upload on here?

7. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Article in ‘The Observer’ yesterday about Kempton closing which really attacked the whole racing fraternity. The correspondent was amazed, upon arriving at the course, that there were no banners, placards or any form of demonstration or protest against its cessation. In fact only 2 individuals could be found to speak out about the closure – Alan King who spoke very eloquently and Mr Henderson, who seemingly had swigged half a dozen GnT’s too many lunch, as he remarked, ‘Its akin to a rich family taking the Rembrandt off the wall’.

The correspondent evidently then wanted to stir things as he then ran to Edward Gillespie and told him what the forum’s favourite trainer had said. ‘A Rembrandt???’ that one scoffed, before then turning to the Grandstand and sneering.

The article was accompanied by a picture of Quiet By Chance falling which to me was rather macabre. On reflection though I wonder if it was some ‘left wing’ attempt at humour in comparing that to Kempton’s demise.

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I watched an interesting discussion on ATR yesterday. Apparently the owners of Kempton Park are £1m in debt so if the proceeds are used to go back into racing they will still be £1m in debt so they will be left with a new AW track, to replace the existing one (and turf) and a £1m debt. So what next; sell Sandown to pay off the debt? There was also debate about the number of courses and horses (saying there were too many), suggesting that, as in other sports, horses below a specified standard should not be financed. Football was the main sport referred to where, below a certain level there is no financial support.

This reminded me of a suggestion I made long ago (on the BBC site I think) where I wondered if there should be a another level of horse racing, as in show jumping, whereby a venue can hold an event which is self funding. There are many show jumping events where, in order to compete there is a member fee, a rider fee and a horse entry fee. The total of these, plus any sponsorship arranged by the event organisers, less expenses forms the total prize money at the event. Horses involved in these events would not go to typical trainers (who cost a fortune) and the events would be more of a hobby. This would accommodate those horses that didn't make the required standard to run in the subsidised races. As in show jumping horses that improve to the higher level would switch and vice versa.

To illustrate we organised, for about 12 years, an annual pony show jumping event for children under 16 and the main event had a prize fund of £6,000 with the total prize fund about £60k split between cash and prizes. This attracted about 500 ponies to a single event. It is still going but we are less involved personally. Events held in the rest of the calendar year had nothing like that prize fund but the principle was the same (ie self funding).

I think I was ridiculed at the time, so expect to be again.

9. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Ron I think the issue with your suggestion is that it would not be a regulated fixture - what about stewards, drug testing, ID checks, etc. It would end up being a bit like the "flapping" tracks in Ireland, and currently it is not permitted to run a horse in a flapping race and then a race "under rules".

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Show jumping gets by. It is regulated and they have stewards. Drug testing is random. They have to quote the membership number of owner, rider and horse/pony but ID checks are only carried out at international level. Someone would soon shout if the wrong horse/pony/rider turned up, which would result in a very lengthy ban. Rules can easily be changed/created by the Rules makers.

11. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

The last thing the area needs is more housing.The local infrastructure will simply not be able to cope,especially since they knocked down the London Irish training ground a few years ago to put up more luxury flats.
    This is nothing more than a fundraising exercise for the BHA at the expense of history.

What’s next,rip up Cheltenham and run the races at Stratford instead?

Shameful.

Intelligent interview by Nick Luck http://www.racinguk.com/video/watch/simon-bazalgette-kempton-park-anouncement

How is the Jockey Club £115 million in debt?

New Grandstand at "Royal" Ascot me thinks!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry that was a gross under statement - more like £100m

13. OddDog

Staff Member

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

15. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Kempton is without doubt the bleakest, grimmest venue for any sport played anywhere in the UK. That even includes the New Den.

However, as others have pointed out, R.I.P. the King George. That becomes a completely different race if run at at Sandown.

16. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Don't agree, I've been to Chepstow (and I like Chepstow) and Oldham Athletic!

17. OddDog

Staff Member

The away end at Fulham's old Craven Cottage was pretty bleak - the wind would blow straight into your face from the Thames. The away end at Stamford Bridge in the late 1980s was quite something too <laugh>

18. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Still trying to find the ones from Kempton but did manage to find this one from Sandown:

DesertOrchid_19890204.jpg

Reebok, Ron and OddDog like this.
  19. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Yes, Epsom could resume its wartime job as a concentration camp, maybe this time run by the Jockey Club? For whom? I dunno, take your pick, there are a few contenders...........:emoticon-0112-wonde

20. OddDog

Staff Member

That's a beautiful shot QM, thanks very much for posting <ok>