1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kempton to close in 2021

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by PNkt, Jan 10, 2017.

1. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Well land in Newmarket is a lot cheaper than around London. They could make a fortune off the land Kempton is on if they can build on it all. :biggrin:

2. stick

stick Bumper King

Already a course at Chelmsford, why build another and not just bank the cash? Give extra fixtures to Lingfield and Chelmsford.

3. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

The biggest racehorse centre in the world needs the best facilities and an aw track will give it that. Godolphin is has biggest sponsor and with aw racing a global concern I think it's a great idea but sadly at the expense of Chelmsford .

4. King Shergar

That is true, we will have to wait and see how Chelmsford is affected by this new track :biggrin:

5. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

I suspect Chelmsford's announcement that they intend to build a turf track is linked to the Kempton news.

6. stick

stick Bumper King

With the announcement last year of the new gallops and now an AW track the Jockey Club is obviously putting all its eggs in one basket and the casualties are Kempton and possibly Chelmsford. I feel for Chelmsford as they have made a huge effort. I suspect we are heading for a floodlit track and Newmarket will try to corner the AW Festival market with a Breeders Cup style initiative. No doubt that they will position this fixture at a totally unrealistic time in the calendar as they usually do. Can they sell up Epsom too so we no longer have hard luck stories about horses not handling the track in the Derby!

7. floridaspearl

I have sympathy with your argument but like Cheltenham flat ratings HQ deserves world class facilities and the jockey club should be applauded for pumping hard cash into the sport. I've felt for a while that Newmarket was being left behind over the last ten years or so, what with champions day being moved to ascot and they have worked hard with the future champions meetings and also the equine facilities in the area for breeding and sales and horse welfare facilities are leading the world . My vet rossdales are based there and their facilities are world class.

8. King Shergar

You can't compare Newmarket on the flat to Cheltemham on the jumps. The people of Newmarket may refer to it as HQ but its a million miles away from being that. Ascot is light years ahead of Newmarket. They don't come from around the globe to have runners at Newmarket!

Even York and Goodwood are pretty comparible with Newmarket in terms of quality fixtures :biggrin:

woolcombe-folly007 likes this.
  9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Couldn't agree more FP. Excellent vets. Is Andy Bathe still there?

10. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Precisely. Do not know how they can call them All Weather after Southwell was flooded off a couple of years ago.

Why get the horsebox out to travel one of your lesser lights over to Essex when you can just walk them onto the Heath?

Been saying that for years but alas Epsom Downs is public ground. They could just level off the camber but that would do away with the bad luck stories...

Champions Day was done at Ascot because they thought it was easier for Londoners to get the train there and the place had just had a fortune spent on redevelopment. Just like the FA Cup semi-finals are now at Wembley to help pay the bills even though that ruins the mystique of having to get to the Final to play there for your club. Money talks.

It is not just the people of Newmarket that refer to it as HQ. Since the sport officially started there, it has an historical right to the moniker.

People who come from around the globe to run their horses at Ascot do so for the social prestige of the Royal Meeting – and half those horses, such as Southern Hemisphere sprinters, then go and run at Newmarket too.

11. King Shergar

I was always told Chester was the first place to hold race meetings, and is the oldest race track in the UK <ok>

12. floridaspearl

Not sure Ron I can find out, they cover a large area nowadays . They saved my wife's horse life a couple of years ago and probably ten years earlier he would have been put down

Ron and beeforsalmon like this.
  13. Steveo77

Steveo77 Well-Known Member

mixed feelings about this one

Whilst it is a great loss to lose Kempton its only really big meeting was the King George (and I could never get there because there are never any trains running on Boxing Day!) I do think that it will be hard to replicate the race at Sandown though. The course presents a different challenge to Kempton.

I can see that it makes financial sense to sell to property developers but I do increasingly wonder about the concreting over of the south east.
    Lets face it the transport and other infrastructure already can't cope, yet the solution seems to be to continue to build yet more homes?

14. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

The first recorded race was held at Chester in 1539 but the first race to be run under agreed "Rules" was run in Newmarket in 1666 (the Town Plate which is still run today). Newmarket is therefore the home of "organised" horseracing with the Jockey Club setting up in London in the 1750s to oversee the running of the sport, before moving to Newmarket.

15. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

It isn't fair to say that the only decent jumps meeting at Kempton is the Christmas fixture. This coming weekend, for example, we have the Lanzarote Hurdle fixture. The venue holds some key Cheltenham trials in February (Adonis Hurdle, Pendil Novices Chase, Dovecote Novices Hurdle - all Grade 2) as well as the "Bet Bright" Handicap (which I will always know as the Racing Post Chase). There is also an early-season meeting with a good Sunday card (The New One frequently ran there) and the "Silver Cups" day on the Saturday after Cheltenham, for those horses who didn't make the cut for their intended race at the Cheltenham Festival.

Nicky Henderson talks here about the qualities of the NH course at Kempton and the fact that it is an utterly different course to Sandown, despite the geographical proximity. It is no coincidence that he often chooses Kempton to start his best horses off in either novice hurdles or novice chases - it is a very fair track which drains well, usually offers perfect jumping ground and is a very fair test. Sandown, on the other hand, takes a lot more getting and can often be bottomless as late as April on Whitbread (Bet365) Gold Cup day (remember the bog when Tidal Bay won?).

16. King Shergar

So they raced with no rules for 100+ years then. Sounds like Wacky Races on horse back :biggrin:

17. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

Regardless of the horse racing consequences I'm not sure that the UK really need another 10000+ folk living inside the M25.

floridaspearl likes this.
  18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry to go against everyone here but the Epsom Derby is the full test of a racehorse's conformation. If the horse isn't well balanced the chances are it won't handle the track. Trainers should know whether their horse is well balanced and, if not, run it somewhere else. An essential part of breeding top quality racehorses is to aim for excellent conformation. Hence why so many good Derby winners
    Yep. Anything could enter

upload_2017-1-11_21-0-45.png
    upload_2017-1-11_21-2-54.png

19. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Fully agree Ron and also why I find the Rowley Mile so boring - ooooh here come the bushes, and then the dreaded dip ........................ the Guineas are an abomination, run far too early in the calendar and often contested by horses who have little idea what time of day it is.

20. King Shergar

Arent Desert Orchid and Kauto Star buried at Kempton?