1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Keeping the Faith in Jnr is the Key.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jun 29, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City have a lot of work to do this summer, but keeping faith in Lee Johnson is key

City found themselves sucked into a relegation battle last season in only their second year back in the Championship, but Lee Johnson’s men overcame adversity to secure their position in England’s second tier for at least another season.

This summer is huge for young Johnson, as having lost prolific striker Tammy Abraham, who returns to parent club Chelsea, the Robins have lost over a third of their league offensive output from the previous year with the 19-year-old’s departure.

Replacing Abraham has been the talk of Bristol City so far, with many names thrown into the mix by fans and pundits alike hoping to identify the next big thing.
    Johnson will struggle to find a player who had such an impressive impact as Abraham, but history is on the boss’ side, as Abraham was actually brought in to replace the prolific Jonathan Kodjia, who departed for Villa last year.

Senegalese striker Famara Diedhiou joined in recent days in a club record deal, and although the striker impressed in France in first Ligue 2 and then Ligue 1 with Angers, the player hasn’t yet experienced the demands of English football
    please log in to view this image
    If Johnson’s striking ahead wasn’t bad enough, then his woes defensively will give the manager some sleepless nights in the coming months.

City conceded a joint 5th 66 goals, and Johnson will know this leaky defence will need to be patched if his side are to remain in the division, especially if the goals dry up at the other end of the field.
    The Robins could also lose influential centre half Aden Flint, so Johnson will have to consider a reliable replacement should Flint depart Ashton Gate.

It appears the problems are mounting for Lee Johnson, and if the issues discussed are not addressed, Bristol City fans will surely fear the worst.
    Keeping faith in Johnson is key to survival however, and the manager has another two months to shape his squad ahead of what is set to be another exciting year of Sky Bet Championship action.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/b...mmer-but-keeping-faith-in-lee-johnson-is-key/

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I like our new signings, very exciting but there is still a long way to go , I won't be losing faith in Jnr because it's non existent, I still want City to do well.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  3. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

ALWAYS BELIEVE

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

City conceded a joint 5th 66 goals, and Johnson will know this leaky defence will need to be patched

AF was a part of that leaky defence,so is part of that problem,this needs addressing i believe.

5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I've never had much faith in LJ as a manager to be honest, but I always want the manager of Bristol City to succeed, whoever he is.

6. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

It's only ever seemed to be that things are going really well, or completely or utter s***e under LJ. Turning around the form-book towards the end of last season was impressive, but setting a record losing streak was shocking, and following the collapse against Cardiff at home, I was calling for his head.

I don't think anyone has the right to declare 'keeping faith is key', just give him a chance to show that the decision to keep him around was justified. I've said elsewhere that if we're in the bottom three after the first ten games then that'd be failure and I'd again be amongst those saying 'get rid'.

7. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I know I'm in the minority but I think generally LJ has done ok.

If you take that 12 game streak in the middle of last season out his record would be impressive.

The problem for LJ is that many people have made their minds up (which I completely understand), so as soon as we hit a bad patch it all starts again.

8. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how was the show? Lee would not have survived with any other team, given the horribly embarrassing record setting losing streak, and so he's racked up a lot of demerit points in my books, However like most other supporters I want him to succeed because by that happening my football team succeeds, and that in the end is all that matters.

So far this off season I like what I see, in that the reaction is off to a good start, but I don't think we are close to where we need to be and would hope that more juicy signings are in the works. Come on Lee please show me I'm wrong on my assessment of your managerial skills. Good luck.

9. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

It's hard for some people to look past the bad streak we had, which let's face it, was pretty bad! But on paper LJ has been one our most successful championship managers in games played. There isn't a lot wrong with this current squad. A few more positions need strengthening but the squad as a whole is looking good. I'd say a GK and a creative CM would be job done. Chuck in some young loans from the prem and mid table should be easily achieved.

10. bcfcredandwhite

I admit I'm a fickle fan where managers are concerned; winning streak and they are great, losing streak and I want them gone.
    Last season is history and my opinions have been reset back to nothing.
    We will see where we are after 10 games.

11. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

I like that people are saying give him ten games. Where we after 10 games last season? <laugh>:angel::emoticon-0136-giggl

Supcon72 likes this.
  12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

It gives a guide to the improvement or failure in our form on the previous season, for example the last 31 games we played, that is all the games from Dec 2016 until May 2017 we won 9, drew 7 and lost 15, that breaksdown to a possible 93 points, we won 34 points and lost 59 points..

Basically it means after 10 games if we have achieved 10 points there has been no real improvement in our form and alarm bells should be ringimg, if we are at 20 or more we are heading for a high top half position..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  13. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

The Manager has got everything he could possibly need

1) The seeming total indulgence of the owner irrespective of our results and performances at times
    2) Money to spend
    3) The 3 Transfer Windows he wanted

Now it's time for Johnson to prove that all of this faith is justified, and the only way of gauging improvements will be how the league table looks after 15 games.

14. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Exactly he has had everything on a plate,now show your worth.

15. bcfcredandwhite

Whilst I agree with all of these statements, it is still worth remembering that we are far from being big-spenders in this league. All the newly relegated teams have their parachute money, plus the likes of Leeds and Villa also have money to burn. Our poxy £5m that we have spent is peanuts compared to what some larger teams are spending. Some of them have even been chasing John Terry recently - I doubt if he has even heard of us!
    At the time of writing this - with our current bunch, including the new signings, I think Lee (or any other manager tbh) would be doing well if we are knocking around mid-table at Christmas.

16. Angelicnumber16

That's a fair point, but we will be outspending quite a few clubs in this division too.

Given the roller coaster ride of last season, I think mid table obscurity will be a blessed relief !

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  17. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Not sure if there's a definitive list out there, but I would guess maybe we'd be around 16th in terms of financial resources (SL's personal backing aside), ahead of Barnsley, Bolton, Brentford, Burton, Ipswich, Millwall, Preston & Sheffield Utd.

smhbcfc likes this.
  18. Angelicnumber16

My list were those exact teams !
    I'm not sure about the spending power (or ambitions) of the likes of Birmingham, Forest, QPR, Reading and co, but would imagine that Villa, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Derby (especially now they're selling Tom Ince), Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday will be spending relatively big money to try and get promotion.

NickH likes this.
  19. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Agreed, which is why I think it'd be difficult for us to try and force our way to the Premiership through spending alone. In recent years, Burnley, Brighton and Huddersfield have set good examples of being able to achieve highly without overly lavish spending and I hope we can follow in those footsteps. A solid mid-table finish this season would represent suitable progress though.

20. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

Preston may well struggle now Grayson has gone. If we finish very far behind them we will certainly be under achieving.

smhbcfc likes this.