1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Karl Robinson - one game at a time

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Jun 24, 2017.

1. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

Charlton Athletic boss Karl Robinson implores followers: 'Don't mention the P word'

Karl Robinson wants Charlton Athletic fans and those internally at the club not to think about promotion next season.

The Addicks boss reckons his men have the capability to win every game even though he knows they won't - and wants to go by the old cliche, to take one game at a time.

"There's not one game in those fixtures that I think we can't win," he maintained.
    "Not one. But I can guarantee you we are not going to win every game. So, I think everybody has to look at two points every game.I think 1.96 guarantees you promotion. Two points certainly does. But I think what people need to get away from at this football club, internally as well, is looking at promotion.
    Why not just beat Bristol Rovers? And the second after 5pm that is done, let's win the next game. Count them [the wins] in May, don't predict them in June."

www.kentlive.news/charlton-athletic-boss-karl-robinson-implores-followers-don-t-mention-the-p-word/story-30407681-detail/story.html

pugrobin likes this.
  2. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

I may disagree with our manager about how much more strengthening our squad needs in order to achieve automatic promotion, but KR is making a different point here and it leaves me with a decision to take.

The gaffer is asking Charlton fans to get away from looking at promotion.
    He clearly says he wants us to just look to the next game after the final whistle of each match, and count the wins in May.

He wishes the coming season not to be viewed as a series of related matches with a collective target but rather as 46 individual games, each with its own target; to win. What matters on the day is winning the game that will be played on that day, and nothing more.
    Speculation about promotion - whether or not Charlton are 'on target' for automatic or play-off places in the wider context of the whole season - is something KR is asking fans to get away from.
    He merely asks fans to look for 2 points (on average) from each game.

Just because I have said I disagree with him about one previous matter recently, that does not mean I don't respect Karl Robinson. He is the gaffer and if he is asking me as a fan not to look at promotion but instead to focus on each game as it happens, then he is asking because it is for the good of the team.

That is a good enough reason for every fan to take heed, but sadly (for me) it means I should not be making a new thread to follow Charlton's progress during the season, recording our results and player stats and league position etc.
    This is something I enjoy doing, and if the season goes well I would hope other not606 members would enjoy checking on it when they wish to. However, should I set up such a thread now I'll be going against the way KR wants fans to view this coming season. I would be disrespecting his wishes.

~~~

I have no respect for Roland Duchatelet or Katrien Meire. I have never made a secret of that.

But I do not want Charlton Athletic's first team to fail on the pitch, and I have nothing at all against Karl Robinson. While he is our manager I should try to support him and what he is attempting to do, even if I don't always agree with him.
    So I should respect his wishes in this matter, and take our coming season one game at a time.

3. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Lardi, he's manager not dictator. If you want to compare postions and results with last term you go ahead and do it. The point where it crosses with KR is if it translates into abuse of the team on match day. There are those who still claim against all evidence that the protests affect the team, and then gloat droolingly about how the protesters are fewer in number- as if an empty Valley would improve performances

But while we don't know what squad we will start the season with, there is no gain for us in heaping blame on the team. But having a comparative table and a few fun stats? Whats the problem. Given we won't be playing a lot of the teams we beat last season, if our results are worse than last years, we won't need a match to match summary to tell us. Our position in the relegation spors will be sufficient.

4. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Robinson talks crap - that's no secret. Until he does his talking in the form of shaping a team worthy of promotion, I wouldn't pay much attention to what he says.

Ken Shabby and Ponders Revisited like this.