1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU'VE SEEN IT ALL!

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by GreatWesternGas, Oct 19, 2016.

1. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Having been watching The Gas since the 70's, I think most emotions, high and low, have been gone through. We've been promoted, been relegated, performed giant killing feats in the various cup competitions, and limped out on more than one occasion to a team leagues below us that many of us had never heard of. We can all remember the financial worries that have plagued us regularly on and off, and we've all been despairing at times as to what the future holds. Despite all this, I have never seen a team, particularly a Rovers team, that simply don't know when they're beaten, and adamantly refuse to stop fighting. We've mastered the art of conceding the 1st goal and fighting back to draw or win, and so now we're perfecting the same feat by conceding the first 2 goals! I must admit to having given up the chance of getting anything from the MK Dons game when I heard they were beating us 3-1 with 10 mins to go, but once again, the lads produced their normal spirited fightback and deservedly drew the game. I don't think we need fear anybody in this league, and nothing the lads pull out of the hat will surprise me. Not sure how DC has done it, but all credit to him for instilling a belief and desire in this squad of players that I certainly haven't witnessed before. Bring on Oldham, despite their good win on Tuesday, I'm sure they are fearing playing us more than us fearing them!

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Like GreatWesternGas I have watched the Rovers for more years than I care to think about since 1960 and I certainly don't remember anything that fills me with the hope that I feel now. New Ground, New training ground a very real prospect after all the disappointments and a team that doesn't know it's beaten, let the good times roll

Gasheadseamge79 and bs3 gas like this.
  3. bs3 gas

bs3 gas Well-Known Member

Like you Old Timer, I have been watching the Rovers since the early 60's, and I have never been so excited about the future of Bristol Rovers. I really believe that I will be watching them in a new Stadium.

Gasheadseamge79 and old timer like this.
  4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Can you remember a few seasons back before we dropped out of the football league, where we couldnt win a game after going behind? Everytime we conceded the 1st goal we failed to win the game. It went something around 80 games where we went behind and failed to win. Now its getting to the point where if we go 2 goals down that we are still expecting to win the game <laugh>

Gasheadseamge79 and bs3 gas like this.
  5. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes exciting times at the moment I've seen more bad times then good since I went to my first game as a boy at Eastville in the 80s :D Another promotion under DC and he will surpass what Francis done for us IMO

6. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

We had a few good comebacks under Ian Atkins and Paul Trollope, but nothing as sustained as this.

7. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Dropping out of the league was probably the wake up call we needed. It feels like there's a determination and belief now which we haven't seen for many years. A lot of that is down to DC and his staff. The whole mood around the club has changed from one that was toxic to one that is optimistic again. I've been watching The Gas since the 70s, and things seem at least as good as the days of Gerry Francis and Ollie. But I think this could be more than another false dawn this time.

GreatWesternGas likes this.
  8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Yep I said it would be a blessing in disguise when we dropped out. Also I said we should stick with DC too when we dropped out. Not many could say that! Just think where we would be now if Higgs got rid of DC following the relegation! Or If DC quit after some numpty dropped of thousands of posters around the training ground calling for DC's head. Scary thoughts!

9. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Not only did Nick Higgs stick with DC he stayed with the Rovers which I thought might not be the case with all the abuse he and the board received on the now defunct forum. Like you CJS I believe that DC is the right manager for the Rovers and I have stated many times on this and the now defunct forum that DC could be to the Rovers what Sir Alex was to Man Utd

10. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Totally agree, whats more, just think where we'd be now if we hadn't come straight back into the league at the first attempt! We might possibly still be languishing in The Conference, our finances and support would be worth jack ****, we definitely wouldn't have the new owners or financial stability that we have now, in short, things as we know them simply wouldn't have happened and our mere existence would have been in serious jeopardy. That game at Wembley against Grimsby, and in particular, that 20 minute penalty shoot out at the end, must surely be the most crucially important 20 minutes of football that Rovers have ever played. If we hadn't won that game, the consequences don't bear thinking about!!

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Remember where we were after 3 games in the conference season? We only had 1 point after a 0-0 draw vs Grimsby and then losing away at Barnet and Altrincham. We were as low as 19th http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/conference/2014-2015/custom-table

Now look at us!