1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Just how good was Cheesley here???

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Alert, Jan 4, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

2 of my worst experiences at Ashton Gate was Cheese being crippled by Shilton and hearing Gerry Sharpe's leg crack against the Boro, terrible..

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    myfredisred likes this.
  2. Reliant Robin TC

Reliant Robin TC Active Member

Glad you can recall that as well - I was always sure that I heard that in the East End, but after so many years I thought it had been a figment of my imagination!!

3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I was sat up in the Dolman, I used to worship Gerry, on the evening I was sat having an early pint in the White Hart behind the bus station before going up the Top Rank and who should walk in but Alan Dicks and Les Bardsley, Dick's was in a hell of a state, drinking large brandys, I asked les the state of Gerry, he confirmed a broken leg, I reckon they new his career was over.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like it <laugh>

5. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

I don't agree he was the "Bastard" who took him out, I was there, two players going for a ball, unfortunately PC came off worse, what a shame for him and us, would have been one of our all time greats, and I think an England player.

6. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I was there and Shilton I think he knew what he was doing when landing on Cheesley.
    Keepers back then were occasionally hammered (not as bad as Lofthouse) and sometimes took the chance to 'get one back' first.

myfredisred likes this.
  7. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

I was stood in the Williams, and I would swear that Shilton never went within 2 feet of Cheesley. From what I could see, Cheese jumped for an innocuous high ball on his own, got it all wrong, and then landed badly and there went the knee. At least thats how I remember it from that night all those years ago. Thing is, if it happened now he would probably be out for 2 months

8. Reliant Robin TC

Reliant Robin TC Active Member

It was one of the few games I didn't go to in those days, as I was in Benidorm o_O!! A group of us from the Bemmy Down area had gone to Highbury on the Saturday and were actually on the North Bank keeping very, very quiet during the game!! We went to the Hammersmith Palais in the evening and flew out on Sunday - don't remember if it was from Heathrow or Gatwick!

Didn't get to hear about the Stoke game or the injury until later in the week as copies of English papers didn't get there until at least two days after they were originally published in the UK. No real time news or mobile phones in them thar dark days!!

9. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

!00% correct BrR, I was in the same stand and that's how I saw it, went up for the ball and landed awkward and bang went his knee.