1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Josh Brownhill

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by themaclad, May 29, 2016.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Press up here saying Brownhill has signed for you

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Nope on the basis that a team that ran away with the league one title struggled in the championship,until the likes of Tomlin,Baker,Odemwingie, arrived.
    Our leader has said we need proven championship quality if we are NOT to struggle again this coming season.
    Personally think the league one to championship is a massive gap.
    Very similar from championship to prem.

3. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Sounds a lot like option 2 to me :).

Honestly, I'm not having a dig (or at least, not much). Buying 'proven quality' is very nice if it's possible and the sums add up and, like you suggested, it made a real difference when we got in players with that level of experience.

That said, I do think there's a balance to be had - we've tried to buy success before after we lost in the playoff final and simply resulted in a slow, agonising decay that resulted in relegation with a bloated squad and too many passengers. Having a largely young squad with potential, which is anchored by a sprinkling of more battle-hardened stalwarts seems to me to be a combination we should strive for - it's just about not going stupid with the chequebook, buying travelled mercenaries who don't have any real investment in the long-term well-being of the club.

We'll only be able to tell a decent chunk into the new season whether we'd gotten the balance right - all I'd say for now is: don't write off anyone you personally don't know based on pre-conceptions. It's an extreme example, but Dele Alli didn't have any more than League One experience before last season...

4. Red Robin

Very true Nick,agree with a lot of what you say above,but we need some proper quality, the league is going to be even harder next season.
    I am a happy bunny when a unknown comes through and does well,but it does not happen enough.
    We need to get of to a decent start,otherwise the decay sets in,the optimism goes out the window,the crowd starts getting grumpy and petong we are then on the downward spiral.

5. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

So how would that explain Delle Alli from League one to Prem?

6. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

When you say crowd gets grumpy, do you mean YOU get grumpy and write ****e threads about it? Just asking like ;)

7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

that's the advantage of having clever staff at Spurs ... bought him a year before they thought he was ready ...
    the French League 2 has some rare talent mostly the players are able to call upon dual or treble nationality and a lot of them are under 22 ... .... ....
    next season a lot of players are going to "want to be paid off, and thus free agents " a lot likely not get a team to play for as the loan system stops in AUGUST AS DOES THE TRANSFER WINDOW.. will teams, UK, want to be stuck with a player who in the past they could put out on loan? part way through?

8. themaclad

Now official Brownhill is a City player

banksyisourhero likes this.
  9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

10. Red Robin

yep another youngster which is all fine and dandy,but by god we are going to need much more experienced players than him come the start of the season.

Tomlin would be a start<applause>

11. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Exactly the sort of signing we should be making alongside the experience. Dirt cheap, loads of experience already for his age, and only 20.

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

13. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

probably be an undisclosed but a "good " signing time will tell

14. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

I must admit i'm surprised we got him, as he could have stayed at promoted Barnsley or gone back to Championship Preston. A northern lad who wants to live in the south - something of a rarity.
    Many of the sensible points made on here add up - he looks an excellent prospect over the next 5 years, but we also need more experience and higher quality roots in the team for next season.
    Only point I would make is, he says in his interview that Johnson already told him there would be others coming in to improve the depth and quality of the squad, so presumably he isn't the last. A very promising purchase for the next few seasons at least.

15. themaclad

Also has a manager that has faith in him something which I don't think SG had