1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Joselu

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Dimi, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Newcastle United have completed the signing of forward Joselu from Stoke City.

The 27-year-old becomes the Magpies’ sixth summer signing, penning a three-year-deal with the club which will keep him at St. James’ Park until 2020.

He follows fellow new arrivals Christian Atsu, Florian Lejeune, Jacob Murphy, Javier Manquillo and Mikel Merino to the club, as manager Rafa Benítez further bolsters his squad.

Joselu began his career at Celta Vigo, coming through the ranks at the Balaidos before joining Spanish giants Real Madrid in 2009.

"I FEEL VERY HAPPY, BECAUSE I HAVE SIGNED FOR A VERY BIG CLUB. I’M VERY HAPPY TO BE PART OF THIS CLUB, AND SO EXCITED."

JOSELU
    After a stint on loan back at Celta, he became a prolific goalscorer for Los Blancos’ B team – form which saw him make the step up to Real’s first team, where he scored on his debut against Almeria.

A move to German side Hoffenheim followed in 2012, and after a productive loan spell at Eintracht Frankfurt during the 2013/14, Joselu joined fellow Bundesliga side Hannover 96 in the summer of 2014.

His ten goals in 32 outings in his solitary season at Hannover earned him a move to the Premier League with Stoke in June 2015. In total, the Spanish frontman made 27 appearances for the Potters, scoring four times, and also netted four goals during his time on loan at Deportivo La Coruña last term.

“I feel very happy, because I have signed for a very big club. I’m very happy to be part of this club, and so excited,” said Joselu.

“I’m looking forward to getting to know my teammates, the city, the training ground, the stadium and all the supporters. I’m very happy to be here.”

Benítez added: “We have known Joselu since his days at the Real Madrid academy, and we know that he has the potential to do well for us.

“Obviously he has experience of English football and the Premier League and that was another thing we took into consideration. We think if we can exploit his full potential he will be a good signing for us.

“He knows and accepts the challenge we've given him at Newcastle United and he's keen to come and fight for a position in the team.”

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/magpies-complete-joselu-signing

I think that last quote is interesting - makes it sound like he has been signed as a replacement for Murphy rather than as our first team option.

2. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Not over the moon BUT I guess he is Murphy's replacement going forwards and Rafa obviously likes him if he's been following him since his Academy days at Madrid so hope he hits the ground running. Interesting to see another big target man type striker in as Rafa doesn't seem to be their biggest fan.

3. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

If true, then we have plenty of money in the bank! We have just missed out on the players Rafa initially wanted and MA's TV interview is all but a smokescreen.

4. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Just need to support the bloke and hope he comes good, not a lot else we can do. Rafa rates him, but has set expectations suitably low. Glad to have an option so we can maybe let Gayle get his head together.

I'd still be a huge advocate of going with 2 up top, mind. Either big/small to push Perez further up, or sometimes just go with Mitro/Joselu...

5. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

No Gayle?!

6. Blacker-than-Knight

Joselu at Hannover 96

7. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Thank god for the blue arrows!

8. G4rdToonArmy

To be fair if we were to go 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 with Jos and/or Mitro up top we would have some serious height and power at set pieces with them and 3 CB's in the box, maybe even De Jong.

#Stokewho?

9. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Likes to shout then does he?

10. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

I think that last quote is interesting - makes it sound like he has been signed as a replacement for Murphy rather than as our first team option.

I have been saying this ever since we were linked with him! Lol

11. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Odd one, as in Gayle, Mitro and Joselu we seem to have built up a nice collection of backup players with one key ingredient still missing....

I imagine, though, it's either Mitro out - Perez in, or Mitro in.

12. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Was worried you meant this one

13. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Based on this (Youtube so debateable) he looks far more positionally aware than anything Mitro has even shown.

14. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Women are always right GLITF.
    Unless they are Mackem women.

15. Fork Handles

Fork Handles Well-Known Member

The one on the penalty wasn't really necessary though!

Flash likes this.
  16. G4rdToonArmy

The Stoke fans reaction is quite interesting. A lot of them seem to feel he had the potential to be a good player for them but wasn't afforded the opportunity.

Be keen to see how he fits in to Rafa's plans.

Now he's here lets back the lad to score a few goals, even a few important ones like D Murphy last season will prove him to be a good signing at £5m in the current market.

17. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

Exactly! Mocked and derided by all on signing Murphy, but he had the last laugh. Benitez knows what he's doing in this league and, whilst every manager's transfers are patchy, he knows a good player

G4rdToonArmy likes this.
  18. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not going to knock the lad before I've even seen him play, which I never have. It's slightly worrying that he's moved almost every season of his career almost. Rafa's statement is clear in that it's laying down the gauntlet to the player and making it clear that he's been brought in as a squad player and he will not be walking straight into the team. There must be some talent there and Rafa's pretty good at getting the best out of people. Does anyone know if Joselu's time at Real Madrid and Rafa's time there overlapped?

19. Blacker-than-Knight

At least Rafa will be able to communicate clearly with him and explain exactly what he wants, have to wonder that the language barriers hinder some players and teams in clearly understanding what they are doing.

20. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

No I think it was quite some time ago he was in Madrids B team - he was prolific but obv it's quite a lowly standard - it's below championship.