1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jose Fonte

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah goals in one game...

October 2014:

Southampton 8-0 Sunderland - 5 2nd half goals.

April* 2015:

Southampton 6-1 Aston Villa - 5 1st half goals.

*might of been May, was last home game of the season. Also the game Mane scored quickest PL hattrick.

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Don't own goals count anymore then? Someone better tell the media that Pep didn't win his first game in charge of City... <whistle>

And for what it's worth Sunderland actually scored 3 og's in that game including a wonderstrike from Vergini to put us 1-0 up <laugh> If you don't remember it it's definitely worth another watch on youtube!

Also the other 2 were very debateable imo. Harsh from the dubious goals panel or whatever they're called <ok>

3. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

The quiz master as this pub quiz was a twat so we took delight in needling him but this actually turned into a half decent drunken conversation - all goals count but does your team score an own goal or is it the opposition conceding an own goal?

I think it is the latter but tbh is just a technicality over wording and doesn't take away from your achievement.

Those own goals are brilliant though <laugh> - makes up for the prick talking over this video.

Libby likes this.
  4. Libby

Libby 9-0

I consider it a goal you've scored because 9 times out of 10 you've put the defender in a position where they have to do something and maybe under pressure make a mess of it.

That Vergini one is just brilliant, will never tire of it and still to this day I don't know what he was trying to do... cracking finish though! Most strikers would be proud of that!

Funnily enough I was actually chatting about this on Sunderland bored just yesterday!

5. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Further frustrated? If this story is true, it's pure laziness on the part of Arsenal and Wenger.

7. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Various papers suggest we still have an interest in signing him. Regardless, how nice is it (for once) to have all of our principal business done so early, to have had the new signings integrate at the club and have already play several games together while some of our 'rivals' are scrambling around at this late stage in the window still trying to get key players in.

ITS_NOT_JUST_A_GAME likes this.
  8. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Rumour is that Woodward is refusing to sanction any new signings until you have gotten rid of some players and reduced the wage bill.

9. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Let's see how Arsene reacts to being quoted £25m for Johny Evans. The time when the so called big clubs can pinch players from so called smaller clubs with only a small compensation is gone. These smaller clubs have themselves got a huge budget and staying in the premiership is the objective of every club (big, middling and small). The yardsticks have changed and if he hasn't noticed then I can quote him: Benteke for £30m despite doing **** all on the RS bench <laugh>

10. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

11. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Particularly given that some of our spending has been cited as helping inflate the transfer market to the point at which Arsenal and Chelsea can't afford the players they need. Makes a welcome change from us overpaying for last minute signings after Chelsea and City pumped up the market with their oil money <ok>

12. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rumour this, rumour that. We're also rumoured to be in for Fabinho, Marquinhos, Miranda and Fonte and not selling anyone. And also buying Balotelli for some unknown reason (<yikes>)

http://www.football-italia.net/90289/balotelli-man-utd-nantes

At this stage of the window, everything you read must be taken with a massive pinch of salt. Fortunately, as was pointed out above, we have the players we really need and so can afford to cherry pick the remainder if someone becomes available who we really want, rather than ending up with a Fellaini or Di Maria just for the sake of signing someone.

13. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

As you said, you are only after backups now so clearing up all of the expensive deadwood first does make sense - especially if that backup is a 32 year old with no commercial or resale value.

If someone like Varane suddenly became available, I'd expect you to sign him immediately without waiting for anyone to leave as he is someone you want.

14. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Ballotelli rumour - while it is a really weird one, might actually have some legs...

He played under Mourinho and with Zlatan at Inter and both like him & he has the same agent as Pogba, Ibrahimovic and Mkhiteryan.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...otelli-latest-transfer-agent-Mino-Raiola-deal

15. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The rumour has legs, but only based on the agent and his history. That will cause it to run and run in the papers, but I can't honestly see any chance of the transfer happening. Liverpool wouldn't sell us a dead rat, and no chance we would ever play Balotelli ahead of Ibrahimovic, Martial, Rashford and Rooney (although I bet cytrax would have him ahead of Rooney <laugh>)

16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

We'd sell you Balo with a ****ing huge grin on our collective faces.

17. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Would you really? Some of your fans are still bitter about Owen joining us and winning the PL after you turned him down in 2009. Would Norbert really risk not only being the first Liverpool manager to sell a player to Utd in almost 80 years, but also potentially selling us a player who could score high profile goals and help us win the league?

We know some of your fans have very qualified levels of support for Klopp, and didn't rate him before he joined you. Can he really afford to take that risk?

18. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

He's **** mate, I'd be happy to sell him to you he really is that bad. There's no love for him at Anfield he's done exactly as expected by the vast majority.

Would Jose really buy a player who's ex City and Liverpool the fans may not be happy.

19. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Even though he's been **** for you the past couple of seasons that doesn't mean there isn't a chance Mourinho could get something out of him. Honestly, do you not think there would be any backlash against Klopp if he sold us a player who then got us a few vital goals and boosted our season?

It is all hypothetical though - as I said I seriously doubt Mourinho would buy him. He'd either be 5th choice as a striker, or he'd be pushing Rashford further down the order which would only alienate Mourinho to the fans. I don't think he's a **** as you think, he's just been mismanaged by Mancini and Rodgers, and Klopp has made no effort. But he's still nowhere near as good as the alternatives we have so no point taking the risk.

20. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I don't think there would be but as you say it's probably all nonsense. I've never rated him so may be biased in my opinion I was horrified when we signed him.