1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Johnson - loving the Club is Not Enough.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Feb 21, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City fan's column: Why loving the club and wanting to succeed isn't enough
    By The Bristol Post | Posted: February 21, 2017
    By Matthew Withers

Tuesday night's defeat to Leeds United was the last straw for one fan. An online petition for Lee Johnson to be sacked was set up and over 400 fans have since signed.

The fact that we are in a dreadful run of form and staring relegation in the face, you would have expected this to be a far greater number, it is somewhat surprising that the majority of City fans still seem to be behind Johnson.

It's clear how much Lee loves the club and his association with City has afforded him far more leeway than others managers have had in the past, just ask Steve Cotterill. Football is a results business and the run of results that Lee Johnson has presided over is the worst of any City Manager.

I have said many times in this column that I really want it to work out and that I thought Johnson was the right man for the job but things just aren't improving and with Burton's victory against Norwich on Saturday and teams playing Tuesday night before our home game to Fulham on Wednesday, it is quite conceivable that we will be in the relegation zone before Wednesday's game.

There is no divine right to success but this squad of players is definitely better than the league position that we are in and questions have to be asked of the management and coaching staff as to why we are not achieving the results that we should be.

When Neil Warnock was appointed Cardiff City Manager the team was second from bottom and looked certainties for relegation, they now sit comfortably in 12th place and have just beaten the likes of Leeds United and Derby County. Warnock hardly spent any money in the transfer window but has got his team playing some decent football and most importantly winning games. I'm not saying that I want Warnock as Manager; I'm just making the point that with the money he has spent and the players at his disposal Lee Johnson is massively underachieving. Johnson continues to show that he doesn't know his best team and the constant changes in personnel and formation can't help.

What objectives did owner Steve Lansdown set Johnson was he was appointed a year ago? The club had been promoted the previous season as Champions and with the stadium taking shape there was a real feel good factor around Ashton Gate. Sadly, a lot of that appears to be eroding. The squad has changed considerably and the team spirt that was so evident on the pitch just doesn't seem to be there. If the team are all pulling for the manager, they have a funny way of showing it.

The Fulham game is massive for the club. I will be applauding the manager on to the pitch and I will be fully behind him and his team for the 90+ minutes but if we don't get the win needed I honestly don't know how Lee Johnson can remain in his position. Talk is cheap and the players need to show the fans that they believe in the Manager and want him to take the club forward.

There is too much 'short termism' in modern day football and we all know that this is a long term project but you have to have the right leadership in place. Loving the club and wanting to succeed isn't enough.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristo...isn-t-enough/story-30151217-detail/story.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Couldn't have put it better...

* Staring relegation in the face..

* More leeway then any other manager because of special relation with Steve Lansdown..

* Our run of results that Lee Johnson has presided over is the worst of any City Manager..

* This squad of players is definitely better than the league position that we are in..

* Questions have to be asked of the management and coaching staff as to why we are not achieving the results that we should be and why we have failed.

* Team spirt that was so evident on the pitch just doesn't seem to be there.

* If the team are all pulling for the manager, they have a funny way of showing it.

* This is a long term project but you have to have the right leadership in place. Loving the club and wanting to succeed isn't enough.

* Weak team, weak performance, weak leadership, weak excuses & answers.

Time for Johnson to move on, the love affair is over..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  3. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Wow 400 signatures!! Not very convincing is it?

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I couldn't agree more, stupid to have had a petition, right reason, wrong action.

I never signed it but I still think Johnson should go, I won't cry if I'm proven wrong.

5. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I didn't sign it either on principle, although I want him to go, and sooner rather than later.

The owner has made another poor decision in appointing him followed by an equally baffling contract extension, and needs to man up and admit it. Prolonging the agony is just a recipe for disaster.

The comment about the feel good factor where he says 'Sadly, a lot of that appears to be eroding' should be amended to 'was eroded a long time ago under this failing regime'

6. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Why have Warnock as manager when we could have Sir Alex Ferguusson ?

7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

REMEMBER HALF THE PEOPLE YOU KNOW ARE BELOW AVERAGE! :emoticon-0105-wink:

8. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Amazed it is only showing that,the feeling is much much more than 400.

Majority want him gone,tomorrow will be a cauldron of Johnson out if they lose.Even then i don't see that being enough if we win.

Fulham away record is better than Newcastle home record.

9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

10. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

I didn't sign. I thought it a silly idea anyway. That said, loving the club alone is not enough. he does need to go. I still don't think he will though. A heavy defeat on Wednesday though might alter things?

11. johngalleyfan2

400 take out friends and family who probably don't give a toss anyway, odd 50 or so gas and probably left with the perpetrator and half a dozen friends and RR :smile:

and Withers replacement for AS OF THE evil post AINT MUCH BETTER either

12. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

99% of City fans follow the shirt, certainly not the manager so I wouldn't take a great deal of notice of 400 signatures.

As for Junior loving the club I ask you all :
    Did you support BCFC as a boy ?
    Or
    Did you start loving the club aged 24 ?
    Exactly.

The runt has no shame and will say/do anything to save his skin.

13. oneforthebristolcity

Doesn't stop him for the loving the club RP...............must admit I didn't take any notice of the 400 numptys that signed it!!

14. Red Robin

Those numpties as you call them are all passionate city fans,that do not want to see our club dumped back in league one.

Is that a crime<rofl><rofl><rofl>

15. oneforthebristolcity

There are also 20,000 + fans that are also passionate without having to sign silly petitions!!

16. Red Robin

When i was a young un,the manager would have had it with both barrels from the stands,today it is so different.

17. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Owen Coyle has left Blackburn

18. Red Robin

LJ has to be next :emoticon-0172-mooni:emoticon-0172-mooni:emoticon-0172-mooni

19. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Try as hard as I may I have difficulty understanding why Lee Johnson is still anywhere near Ashton Gate and his undying support from Steve Lansdown is even more baffling. We have heard for many years from our owner that he is building something special for Bristol City supporters, and presumably his own ego, and although that project is very well under way in most departments there is something vital missing, and it's called a football team just in case SL has missed the point.

I really don't believe much I hear from our main man anymore and how such a supposedly successful businessman can fail so badly at the grass roots of his Bristol Sports is somewhat sad to be honest, and even if he acts now to right his wrong in employing Lee Johnson then I fear for the club going forward. Too little too late seems to be the way it is down in BS3 and only a radical change of attitude from the top will stand any chance of putting it right for the future. I, and many others, have been saying virtually the same thing for far too long now to think that anyone important is listening and even if they are they have forgotten to take the pulse of the lifeblood of Bristol City, and that is you and I and everyone else who donates in some way or another. Is it really that difficult to understand?

20. johngalleyfan2

mike I think over the past few years a lot has been wasted, money and talent. The buck stops here was probably the point that SL decided that was it ... poo or bust do something, invest and stick to it. Come what may he is likely on the edge of his seat thinking well a visit to wemglee next season might be nice as a bonus..... who knows?