1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Johnson and Tomlin..

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 16, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City midfielder Lee Tomlin and why he left him out of defeat to Cardiff City
    By a_stockhausen | Posted: January 16, 2017

please log in to view this image

Lee Johnson, left, and Lee Tomlin ahead of Saturday's clash with Cardiff City at Ashton Gate

Lee Johnson has spoken of his decision to leave fans' favourite Lee Tomlin on the bench for last Saturday's big Severnside derby showdown against Cardiff at Ashton Gate.

The £3m summer signing from Bournemouth was a surprise omission and he had to wait until five minutes from the end before coming on and playing a brief cameo role in a game City lost 3-2.

Speculation is mounting that the player and head coach have had a falling out amid unsubstantiated rumours that the pair were involved in a bitter argument following the Boxing Day fixture at Wolves.

When asked to explain his decision to omit Tomlin, head coach Johnson opted to play his cards close to his chest.

He told journalists: "It's very simple. I always pick the team as though my little girl's life depends upon it and that is for the right reasons.

"You cannot always give away everything and I'm taking Lee Tomlin out of it now. There are always scenarios – illness, injury, loss of form or personal problems.

"It is not always the name on the team sheet that sits in that place and we need everybody playing and fully committed to Bristol City and able to perform to their maximum.

"Sometimes, you just have to put the shield up and take it on the chin."

"His comments will serve to further fuel speculation that he and Tomlin are not seeing eye to eye as City endure their worst run of form since 2012. City supporters are now eagerly awaiting the announcement of the team to face Fleetwood in tomorrow's FA Cup third round replay in Lancashire.

If Tomlin starts at Highbury Stadium, the fears of supporters will be assuaged. If he is again on the bench, the rumours of a fall out will continue unabated.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/lee-jo...cardiff-city/story-30060810-detail/story.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

So the truth is there is a problem and I bet there is a lot more as has been mentioned elsewhere, I'm beginning to come off of the fence..

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

No smoke without fire.....

4. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Seems like this is legit then...

5. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Even bigger problems GoN and Pack gone above the chosen one,the camp is a rocky place,but the management think it will blow over <rofl><rofl><rofl>

6. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

aint this exactly the reason tomlin was eased out at Bournemouth? but blame Johnson anyway, its a bigger bandwagon.

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Firstly, I got off my fence on Saturday. It's time for LJ to go.

However, we seem to be saying that Lee is at fault and Tomlin is all sweetness and light here!

Assuming there IS some truth in this, there is not enough evidence for anyone to take sides.

I know from my playing days how bad dressing rooms get after a poor run of results - and it is made much worse if there is a Billy Big Bollocks telling other people (manager or player) that they are ****. The closest I ever came to a fight during my playing days was with one of my own strikers - putting the dickhead back in his box - his ranting was bringing the team down and affecting morale. There is no 'I' in TEAM and when your back is against the wall it even more important that they all pull together.
    Tomlin has history of disciplinary problems too, don't forget - maybe that's why Bournemouth let him go and he chose us(?)

Everyone is happy when we are winning. When we are losing everyone looks for someone to blame - and the manager is ultimately responsible for keeping order and getting the team winning again. He won't do that if he lets a poxy player win arguments in the dressing room.

Like I said, this hasn't affected my opinion that LJ's time is up and he should be replaced. I'm just saying that for all we know Tomlin may have exhibited unacceptable behaviour and needed to be reminded who is boss(?) We just don't know.

8. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Wiz,
    I can't trace my comments, keeps coming up as 'error'.

I forecast last summer that Lee Tomlin would be the first to see through LJ.
    In every dressing room I played/managed in, football and cricket, the 'top banana' was the first to see any managerial weakness.
    I ask you - How the bl**dy hell could a 'Lee Tomlin' ever have respect for LJ.
    It's no good clappers saying players should automatically respect their manager, it doesn't happen like that.
    A manager earns respect, LJ has no chance.

I'm definitely not backing Tomlin's stance or action but it's an example of the ineptitude and weakness of LJ.
    Junior is out of his depth.

Crow
    'aint this exactly the reason tomlin was eased out at Bournemouth?'
    Tomlin has more than enough skill but neither physique, pace or energy for the Premiership.
    That's the reason he left Bournemouth.

Red Robin likes this.
  9. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Not really he didn't have the legs for the way Bournemouth played = flat out. Lee Johnson and Ashton should have been looking at that if they wanted runners in midfield.

10. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

didn't have the legs- read lazy and bad attitude the same reason he left boro

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Maybe but why didn't Johnson and Ashton do their research? It is also a case of Lee Johnson said he wanted high tempo pressing football. Tomlin??? Stupid. What is the point of asking Tomlin to do what Korey Smith used to do when he was ??? Good?? Fit???

Lot of this losing form.under Johnson about. Couldn't be Lee Johnson could it?

Redprintt likes this.
  12. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

LT left Championship Boro for £3.5million to join Premiership Bournemouth after 56 games, ever present.
    'After a run of fine performances, most notable in Middlesbrough's 2–0 victory over Manchester City in the FA Cup, Tomlin was named Championship Player of the Month for January 2015'.
    Definitely good in the Championship but not Premiership.

Red Robin likes this.
  13. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

He told journalists: "It's very simple. I always pick the team as though my little girl's life depends upon it and that is for the right reasons.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

cidered abroad likes this.
  14. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

So reading between the lines. You was a **** manager and nobody had any respect for you <whistle>

Alandicksthegreat likes this.
  15. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

I think that in a derby situation he picked a player who was more likely to present an obstacle to Cardiff hitting us on the break. You might call that a move lacking courage, or you might call it prudence, good tactics and good management - except we lost of course.
    But had we lost 0-6 like we did a few years ago then that would have sealed his fate.

You can't blame LJ for feeling a little fragile right now, but I would be surprised if he has turned into the Incredible Hulk all of a sudden like some on here are suggesting.
    This is LJ, not GJ