1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Johnson - “I Don’t Deal With That Element of it Here.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jun 23, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

City wait on Wilbraham’s decision
    Friday, June 23rd 2017

Lee Johnson says he would accept Aaron Wilbraham with “open arms” should the veteran striker commit his future to the club.

The 37-year-old has been offered a new deal to extend his 20-year playing career that includes additional non-playing responsibilities.

Speaking in the wake of the new fixture release, City’s head coach was quick to offer
    BCTV an update on the club captain’s movements, who featured 36 times in all competitions last season.

“I have been in contact with Aaron on a regular basis,” Johnson said. “It’s difficult because I don’t deal with that element of it here.
    “I think Aaron is a fantastic guy and he is definitely a personality we would like to keep around the club if he felt it was right for him and his family, not just for the short-term but the long-term.
    “But he has options as well. Only he can decide where his future lies, but we will accept him with open arms if he decides to accept the offer.”

Wilbraham joined City from Crystal Palace in 2014 and was part of the double-winning season, top scoring with 21 goals. In total, he has made 126 appearances for the club, scoring 34 times.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-wait-on-wilbraham-s-decision/

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

It looks like Jnr is not in charge of things.

3. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Surely contractual issues are Mark Ashton's responsibilty? Footy managers usually are not businessmen.

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Dead right but surely as he has already stated he would welcome him with open arms, he has been our main man and Club Captain for god knows how long, he is still in contact with him on a regular basis, it's not as if he has to negotiate with another club or manager, he has offered him a coaching role, the offer has been on the table for weeks and he still has not had an answer, he surely should have the balls to tell him to sign or **** off, he is supposed to be the head man.

I loved Wilbs but he is 37, what are we stupid.

5. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

He is the head coach so not likely to be sorting contracts and things

6. johngalleyfan2

ageism? at 37 not really to old.. I probably exert as much energy on a 3 hour stint on a sunday afternoon as he would for 90 minutes and I do it 3 times in the week albeit for just 2 hours and I am double his age!

7. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Talk about posting a thread just to bash the manager. The season has not even started yet but the neighsayers are in full voice.
    I'm really beginning to wonder why I stay on this site when the fans won't get behind the club and team.

We have been in far worse scenarios than we are currently in, but the bigoted views towards LJ are getting too much on here for me.

8. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

I ran my first Marathon Aged 52 and have ran 5 since. Ibrohimovic is 35,Buffon 39. Cant see age being a factor as far as Wilbs is concerned.

9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Just a note this article is taken off of the official BCFC web site, if Jnr does not want his comments repeated then he should keep his gob shut.
    https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-wait-on-wilbraham-s-decision/
    As regards staying on the site, it's a free and open public forum, if you don't like what is being written don't read it, it's simple.

I'm not a bigot, I am open and honest and happen to think Jnr is a load of crap, my opinion but he is in charge, that is it and I will continue to comment but rest assured if he has been spiritually changed and succeeds I won't be slow, I will be the first to congratulate him, the only other suggestion I have is if you are offended by my point of view about Jnr put me on your ignore list, don't blame this forum.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  10. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

As I stated I love Wilbs but at 37 he is at the end of his career, a good offer has been made and if he is flip floppimg about it his heart is not totally 100% with the Bristol City cause, let's move on, thank and respect him but look elsewhere.

Just a mention, I am 70 plus,I still attempt to distance run but it's more of a walk, I play football of sorts, I car rally (slow type) I dance and really enjoy life, I'm not ageist but do realize I am no where near the younger folk but who cares.

11. TampaBayBCFC

Wiz - Wilbs is at the end of his playing career. It has been a long and relatively distinguished one and he's now at the point of a major change. He could likely get a playing deal elsewhere and as a "proper" professional, it's only natural that he would like to continue playing but at the same time, he needs to think about his future. He would have to uproot his family to move on and as he's only likely to get a short term deal, there's a lot to think about.

He has a lot to offer the younger kids and I think he's doing what any educated person would do - looking at options and evaluating what is best for his future.

You're not a bigot Wiz...you still have LJ issues like a lot of us but the Wilbs situation is really nothing to do with this.

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Thanks Tampa, I am just a Bristol City bloke, born and bred, I am 3rd generation 70 year old Red, I love the ground, the team, the history, I love the fans, I love our City humour, I go with the successes, I hurt with the failures, I am just simply a football nut, not making excuses, just being me.

Up the City..!!

TampaBayBCFC and Supcon72 like this.
  13. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with you on the flip flopping-An ex colleague of mine has a walking football team that he runs for over 50's- seems a good idea and I must give it a try

14. TampaBayBCFC

I'm with you brother! Just wish the successes outweighed the failures but I guess it makes the few we have so much sweeter.

15. johngalleyfan2

Wiz, over the past 6 months or so you seem to take everything personally and build in a little extra to feel " hurt" or "targeted" ! no one intimated you were an ageist or a bigot ...and what is age? simply an artificial concept of time related to a period .. [ an artificial concept of sequence and duration ] like vegetation or "crops" none have the same sequence of start and end, whether it is species or like.

My reply was ageism? at 37 not really to old.. [ works the other way also, at 15 or ? to young to be doing that ] and then a comparison of what is possible by peeps double his age ! ( or older) You do have time to troll the papers and things and bring to the board some interesting " facts and features".. I don't, I have 4 time consuming hobbies, 3 physical, so always thankful of others input, it is a "said " you do not have to say thankyou everytime a piece is brought to the attention of board, other wise a lot of threads would just be 30 or so posts saying thankyou *******? You merely make a comment, as you say "on your own opinion" or if directed to someone, you state "***** " I think you are off the mark/wrong/up the wrong tree /or suchlike.
    finished my breakfast and tea off to pack and check kit for this afternoons adventure 50m underground, where half a tonne of rock has to be sorted!

16. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

We all tend to extol our perceived values and life styles in different ways, that of course is just my opinion, I'm lucky enough to be off to a Chinese Restaurant to have dinner with 10 members of my family, to celebrate a belated 'Father's Day' because I was off galavanting in Cornwall with my beautiful wife and missed it last week.

I'm with my family and that is whom I like to spend my time but thanks for the advice.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  17. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Galavanting with your wife in Cornwall ( substitute Ann in my case) sounds like a great life to me Wiz and to follow up with a Chinese is a bonus. We are about the same age Wiz and like you I think we long suffering supporters have our priorities right and our thoughts come from the right place, which is the heart. Life is for enjoying and having your own personal opinions should never be regarded as a detriment to others, and perhaps if we all said what we feel then the world might become a more acceptable neighbourhood.

P.S. Can I read anything in to the fact that some supporter got a City shirt with an Oxford United label on it? Perhaps a corporate move on the part of Steve Lansdown?