1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Joe Mason & Omar Bogle.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jul 31, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson eyeing up Joe Mason and Omar Bogle swoop - report

City already have plenty of attacking players among the ranks

Bristol City could make a double swoop to sign Joe Mason from Wolves and Omar Bogle from Wigan Athletic, according to the Sun.
    A report today claims that City will bid £1.2m for Mason and £750,000 for Bogle,
    who is not thought to be in Paul Cook's plans at the DW Stadium.
    City have already forked out £5.3m to sign Famara Diedhiou from Angers and the striker will likely be Lee Johnson’s first choice this season.

Johnson also has the likes of Gustav Engvall, Milan Djuric, Matty Taylor and Aaron Wilbraham among the ranks at BS3 so moves for Bogle and Mason seem unlikely unless some departures happen before the end of the transfer window.

City were thought to have had a deadline day bid turned down by Wolves last summer for Mason, who later went on to score four goals in 23 matches.
    Bogle, meanwhile, signed for Wigan from Grimsby last January and bagged three goals in 14 before the Latics were relegated from the Championship.
    He has fallen out of favour and a couple of sides, including QPR, have been mentioned in connection with the forward.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bristol-city-boss-lee-johnson-257028

2. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

For me, both of those leave me a little cold. I think I'd prefer Engvall to get more games and think both Djuric and Taylor have something to offer, with Wilbraham as cover.

manxrobin likes this.
  3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I must admit Joe Mason looked quite interesting don't know enough about Bogle.

4. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Not great goal scoring ratios and that at L1 too

5. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Peeking on a Wolves forum, they don't seem to rate him at all - would love to cash in and reckon he'd go straight to our bench. I won't pretend to know more than City's scouting team, or the perceived need for cover, but at face value I hope this is nonsense, born from a slow news day.

6. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Really concerned at the amount of youth talent we have that is just going to be swamped by having a bloated squad.

7. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

We have always appeared to have a reluctance to use our youth unless it is in some fill in roll at the end of the season. If you have a good youth programme then use it for the intended purpose rather than let them get frustrated on the bench.

8. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Do you spin a tombola on what to complain about next? Joe Bryan first team regular came through the youth as did Bobby Reid first team squad. With Vynar and a few other's likely to break through soon.
    The other day you moaned about lack of transfer activity, now it's not playing youth.
    Sometimes Micheal I worry about you.

9. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

I dont know who Engvall or Djuric are but Joe Mason is much better than Taylor and certainly Wilbrahim.

Joes problem is he has poor body strength , is lightweight and no pace. Hes technically good and a good finisher.

10. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

We got a few of them already,don't need anymore.

11. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Not in a great position to comment then are you?

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Now I'm not being a mug and I'm just asking, if we have got these gem of players like Flinty and Joe Bryan, with all these fellow Championship teams fighting to buy them like M/Boro, Leeds, B/Ham, Fulham, S/land & Aston Villa, why the hell are we prepared to sell them, we are not going to bring in better ones.

I know I'm an old dog but I'm puzzled, we made a mistake with Ayling are we going to repeat our mistake again, maybe the player wants to go but it's so frustrating.

13. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

You've brushed on it already - if the player wants to move, then you at least take that into consideration. The club are in the lose-lose situation of being seen as 'giving in' by selling, weak by keeping him & continuing to play him or waste money by letting him rot in the reserves - as well as losing value as the contract runs down. Nicky Maynard springs to mind.

If enough money would keep him then similar situation - the club is either pandering to demands, a good chance several other players ask for a pay rise & they're criticised when the accounts are submitted, or they're unambitious and cheapskates.

...at the least, Baker is a quality signing & Wright & Magnusson are hardly mugs - would be hard to argue that the club had acted irresponsibly.

14. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

If the plan went to the script then Ayling was going to be a bit part player behind Mathews. Mathews was a player that fooled everyone of us and we was all wanting him to come back after his first loan spell.
    If he came back as the player we had on loan no one would of mentioned Ayling.
    Even though I liked Ayling and wanted him to stay as number 2, he was the sellable asset between him and little. Plus Little was prepared to stay and be number 2 the remainder of his contract.
    Hindsight is a wonderful gift, I suspect if LJ had it then Ayling would of possibly not been sold.
    As to having these gem of players, Flint his price that will IMO only go slightly higher than it is now. Unfortunately it won't get higher whilst with us, unless we had a great season. So now is the time to sell, so we got reinforcements in Baker.
    This is now the tricky part. Agents and clubs realise that we've already got his replacement and know that we need to offload or have unhappy players, which could force a move at a lower price. This could now backfire slightly as we've played our hand.
    As for Bryan, it's only Twitter rumours that teams are interested nothing concrete.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  15. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Ayling was way better than Matthews.. all day long!!

and he had to leave to prove it and has! -- he was also in the league one team of the year on our promotion season!

16. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

couldn't agree more... liked Luke

17. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

£850k ~ They have got to be dreaming.

In Focus: Leeds handed boost in Flint pursuit

According to The Mirror, Bristol City are ready to sell centre-back Aden Flint this summer, with Leeds United strongly placed to sign the 6ft 5in defender.
    What’s the story?
    Flint, 28, is widely regarded as one of the most effective central defenders in the second tier of English football, and a number of clubs have been linked with a move in recent weeks.
    Bristol City were initially expected to fight off interest in the former Swindon Town youngster, but according to The Mirror, the club’s recent capture of Nathan Baker from Aston Villa means that they will allow the centre-back to seek pastures new this summer.
    The Mirror has claimed that Leeds are offering Flint a big pay rise on his current salary, but the team from Elland Road will face competition from Birmingham City, who believe that they are the favourites for his signature ahead of the new campaign.
    Flint helped Swindon win League Two during the 2011-12 campaign, and has since progressed onto League One and into the Championship, where he has played his football in each of the last two seasons.

Well, aside from the fact that Flint is a 6ft 5in centre-back, he has also forced a reputation as a goalscoring defender over the last few seasons.
    Incredibly, Flint, who is rated at £850,000 by transfermarkt.co.uk, has netted 29 times in 200 professional appearances, with his best scoring season coming during the 2014-15 campaign, when he scored 14 League One goals.
    He has managed six and five goals respectively for Bristol City in each of the last two Championship seasons, and his ability from set pieces has made him an extremely effective weapon.

Leeds will seemingly face strong interest from Birmingham for a player that has previously represented England C, but if the former Champions League club can secure his signature, it might well be one of the Championship’s best signings in this summer’s transfer window.
    https://www.footballfancast.com/transfer-rumours/in-focus-leeds-handed-boost-in-flint-pursuit

18. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

£850.000 Stick 6 million on the front.

19. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I think transfermrkt.co.uk's valuation calculation is some nonsense calculation, which shouldn't be taken seriously - there are lots of lazy journalists out there.

Theoretically, we should be in a strong position to get a good fee for Flint, assuming the strong rumours are true. I believe he's contracted until 2020 and there are several teams in for him - he's also got quite a few years still in him; the only thing against us is potentially that he himself wants out.

It's hard to predict what fee should be suitable, but you'd like to think not short of £4m in todays climate.

20. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Give him away for nothing and screw Swindon at the same time. Lansdown can afford it :emoticon-0105-wink: