1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jim Clark Memorial Rally 2014

Discussion in 'Other Motorsports' started by Joelinton's Right Foot, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Taken from the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-27651504

Three killed in collision at Scottish car rally

Two men and a woman have been killed in a collision between a vehicle and spectators at the Jim Clark Rally in the Scottish Borders, police have said.

The incident occurred at about 16:00 BST when a car taking part in the motor racing event came off the road.

Another man was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary where he is reported to be in a critical condition.

An earlier collision at the event, at around 14:00 BST, left five people injured, one of them seriously.

In a statement, the organisers of the event - which was the 44th running of the Jim Clark Rally - said they were "devastated".

Police Scotland said the rally had been cancelled with immediate effect after the second incident, which took place at Little Swinton, near Coldstream.

It said investigations into both incidents were "ongoing".

'Absolutely terrible'

One eyewitness, Tony Cowan, told the BBC how the car "lost control".

"It went sideways one way and then to the other side of the road and ploughed into four people.

"It was terrible, absolutely terrible. I ran to help but there was little I could do. The air ambulance arrived after about three quarters of an hour. There were police cars and ambulances. It was chaos, just chaos," he said.

Another eyewitness wrote on Facebook: "Huge accident at rally. Not far from us. About 15 emergency vehicles here now and about 40 people stood working on the injured. Not good."

Laura Bicker, BBC Scotland correspondent, said several witnesses had since contacted the BBC to say they were concerned about spectators standing in dangerous areas along the rally route.

"Clearly that is something the organisers will be looking at and something the police will be investigating as part of their inquiries," she said.

Supt Phil O'Kane, from Police Scotland, said four men and one woman were injured in the first crash - which happened at 14:05 BST - after a vehicle came off the road near Eccles.

He said one man remained in intensive care at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, while two men suffered fractures and were being treated at Borders General Hospital.

The two other patients have been discharged.

Supt O'Kane said the second crash happened at 16:07 BST, adding the force was co-ordinating a "multi-agency" investigation into both incidents.

"I'd like to offer my condolences from Police Scotland, Scottish Borders Council and the organisers of the Jim Clark Rally for the tragic circumstances that bring us here," he said.

'Dreadful news'

Organisers of the event - the only closed road rally on mainland UK - said they were working with the police.

"Berwick and District Motor Club, Border Ecosse Car Club and the governing body, the Motor Sports Association (MSA), are co-operating fully with the police investigation," they said in a statement.

"As with any serious incident on a motor sport event, the MSA will conduct its own thorough inquiry once the police investigation is concluded."

Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond called the tragedy "desperately sad and difficult news".

He added: "The Jim Clark Rally is a long-standing event of over 40 years. It is much loved in the Borders and by the rally driving community who I know will share in our sadness at what is a black day for the Borders and for Scotland."

Local MSP John Lamont said his "thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families".

"I know the rally organisers place considerable emphasis on the safety of the spectators and drivers but, with any event of this nature, there will always be an element of risk," he said.

"I live just a few miles away from the scene of the accident and I know that everyone is shocked and saddened by this dreadful news."

The annual rally takes place over three days on closed roads in the Duns and Kelso areas of the Borders, attracting thousands of people from across the UK.

It is held in honour of Scottish former Formula 1 champion Jim Clark, who died in a 1968 motor racing accident in Germany.

2. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Tragic news. I have competed on this event a number of times as a co-driver, though many years ago when it was still a gravel rally, as part of competing in the Scottish Rally Championship. My heart sank when I read the headline, and I must admit that the first thoughts that ran through my head were selfish ones hoping that my sister and brother in-law were not there this year and that it was not somebody I know. However, it is a tragedy for some people's families and my thoughts are with them.

Thoughts are with the driver and co-driver too though. I can't imagine what torment they must be going through. I hope that the SRAC makes sure that they have every support they need - as of course I do for all involved.