1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jermain Defoe:Desperate England recall striker aged 34

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by kiwiqpr, Mar 16, 2017.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Jermain Defoe: England recall Sunderland striker aged 34
    Sunderland striker Jermain Defoe has been recalled to the England squad.
    The 34-year-old won the most recent of his 55 England caps against Chile in November 2013.
    Uncapped Southampton duo Nathan Redmond and James Ward-Prowse are also selected, as is 19-year-old Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford.
    Gareth Southgate's side face Germany away in a friendly on 22 March before a World Cup qualifier against Lithuania at Wembley on 26 March.
    West Brom midfielder Jake Livermore, who made his sole international appearance against Italy in 2012, returns to the squad.
    Burnley defender Michael Keane and West Ham winger Michail Antonio - both of whom are uncapped - are also selected.
    Southgate has also called up Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw, who has made two appearances since December, and Everton midfielder Ross Barkley.
    Defoe has scored 14 Premier League goals this season, the second most by any English player behind Tottenham striker Harry Kane (19).
    He has scored 19 times for England since making his debut against Sweden in 2004.
    "You can have the young players who are hungry and the old players who are hungry as well," Southgate told the England website.
    "I think we can't just look at young players all the time. I think we have to get results now and also plan for the future."
    Kane is missing after injuring his ankle against Millwall on Sunday, while captain Wayne Rooney is absent with a leg injury.
    Southgate said there was "a chance" Rooney would be fit for Manchester United's Premier League game against Middlesbrough on Sunday.
    "The injury, coupled with the fact he's not really had a lot of game time recently and others have, has sort of determined my decision on that one," he added.
    Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge is also absent through injury, while Arsenal forward Theo Walcott has not been selected.
    "Theo has a really valid claim for being included," said Southgate. "I didn't see him featuring in the games this week and I needed to look at one or two other players that I don't know too much about."

2. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Have to agree with the headline "Desperate England"

3. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Looking a bit thin up front, Defoe, Rashford & Vardy.

4. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Watford will be pleased!

5. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

.....and it all happened on a Thursday!

6. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Thing is, Defoe gets goals wherever he's been. Sure he's a bit of a knob, but I think he's been a pretty good professional throughout his career. Not his fault that there isn't younger cover for those injured.

UTRs and NorwayRanger like this.
  7. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Which is the point I was trying to make
    Too many foreigners and not enough homegrown players
    Boo

UTRs and Uber_Hoop like this.
  8. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Goes to show how thin on the ground the Premier League is for English players and forwards in particular.......this is what happens when good youngsters are hoarded by a few clubs and sent out on loan to lower league clubs to learn their trade, when they return to the parent club they have next to no chance of actually progressing to the 1st team because the manager/owner wants to buy the latest marque signing, because taking a punt on a youngster is too much of a gamble and would jeapardise there chances of a top 4 finish.......

Look at Chelsea, they let Lukaku go out on loan for a couple of seasons, (I know he's not English) then decide to sell him as he's considered not good enough when they bought Costa, now the rumour is they want to buy him back having to pay way more than when they sold him........

It's a bad state of play when a 34 year old gets a recall........

9. goldcoast hoop

goldcoast hoop Well-Known Member

Why not try lower league strikers?

Tramore Ranger and QPR Oslo like this.
  10. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

Age is but a number, 14 PL goals, fit as a fiddle, deserves his place in my book.

Ninj and QPR Oslo like this.

11. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

how dare you suggest such a thing

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  12. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

isn't Defoe one of the form strikers at present? If so give him a game and it might just shake up the younger players that aren't playing well enough to be considered. Plus - someone like young Rashford can only learn from a player that has spent the majority of his career in the top flight scoring goals regularly throughout his career

Sooperhoop and Frome-Ranger like this.
  13. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Defoe is the best natural goalscorer of his generation, give him the service and he'll score the goals. As you say, Rashford would learn so much from him...

14. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

How the hell is luke shaw selected for the squad

15. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I am. He's a model pro in good form. Should have been recalled ages ago. Well done Southgate for not continuing to fanny about with Walcott and Rooney.

kiwiqpr and Queens Park Stranger like this.