1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January window thoughts

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by swan_and_only, Feb 1, 2017.

?

Swansea's January transfer window

1. Happy, we've signed decent players that will make a difference

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Disappointed, the signings will not be enough to keep us up

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Indifferent, meh, mediocre players joining a mediocre team

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Where the **** is that centre back we needed! One job! You had one job!

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

How do you rate the clubs dealings in the January transfer window? Are you happy, disappointed or indifferent?

Cast your vote on how you think the board has done.

seabreeze and ValleyGraduate12 like this.
  2. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

I think the club has done very well and made some shrewd signings all of which has made a difference in our two fantastic wins. I also think that PC has sorted our defence out and the partnership of FF & AM is looking promising and is looking organised enough until the summer.

I think next window, if we stay up we should loan Amat out to a championship club so he can iron out his rough edges and get some consistency back in his game and sign a older and more experienced defender for the short term.

I think Ayew will be a good signing where Siggy can come back into the middle without disrupting our winning formula.

seabreeze likes this.
  3. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Agree. I think know it's been a very good window. We've brought in Carroll, Olsson and Narsingh who have already shown that they are upgrades on some of our players.
    However, we were desperate for CB and we haven't signed one so I've gone for the CB option because we still haven't got a natural leader on the pitch if Leon doesn't start.
    A very good window that could have been great, especially with Taylor getting the boot :)

That said our best bit of business was keeping Llorente and Gylfi as I thought they'd be sold.

4. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

I agree valley although in the past two games our defence has looked a lot better and think that our leader has come in the form of Paul and Makelele.

I'd rather go for the right player for the right price and we all know that January is notoriously difficult for getting in good players.

So in retrospect it's not a bad window at all as every player that has signed and played has made an immediate impact.

And as you said keeping Llorente and Siggy is the best business we could have done.

So credit to the club this past month.

5. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Swan I don't think any of those above are how I feel. I think the signings we made were pretty good, but I don't think we have addressed the problems we have all seen at the CB position and still no leader. God forbid, Fernandez or mawson get injured. I am also disappointed that all the signings were HJ signings and clearly not PC ones, he said when he came here he would identify what he needed and then sign accordingly. But every player signed were linked to us before he was even here.

So yes happy with the signings, but I wonder deep down whether PC is and I still don't think we went quite far enough with strengthening our back 4.

6. Bap666

Bap666 Well-Known Member

I agree with TLF, happy with what we have signed but disappointed not to have addressed are defensive issues and leadership

7. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

After the Arsenal loss it looked very bad for us ,with10 day left in the transfer window when we played our next game against Liverpool . Two wins in them remaining 10 days of the window changed the whole scheme of things , from selling to keeping players IMO .Also , the players we picked up for around the 5 million zone are good value .

8. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

TLF it's only a bit of fun and you can't use predetermined questions to fully represent opinions but I'd guess that you're more in the CB is the priority category. (Last answer)

I just thought I'd set up a thread to gauge people's thoughts on this transfer window.

It's hard to say what PC wanted because he hasn't expressed otherwise. Although, I think he and Jenkins had discussed targets together. Regardless of who signed who I think that this window has been our best January window since I can remember. Coupled with the improved performances I feel somewhat optimistic about our future with new players in that can be future stars and not temporary fixes.

I think if the right player wasn't available at the right price then it's pointless buying a player if they are no better than what we have.

Bear in mind that we're a relatively small club with limited resources in a relegation battle. The CB required may not have been available for the price we can afford. There are a lot of variables to consider such as; is that player available at the right price, does that player want to come to our club, can we mitigate his wages if we get relegated, what member of playing staff do we need to offload in order to persue that player.......

Not easy.

9. trundles left foot

Hull managed to sign one from Italy and one we were looking at (apparently) and they managed to rake him on loan. Again I cant help but feel firstly, we have gone back to our 2014 HJ scouting book for the players signed, do we actually have a scouting team and secondly it wouldn't be hard to have a better January window than we have in the past as we generally don't do anything. If I compare what we have done to other clubs, I think we are miles behind some and in front of others. Do I think we have done well in this window I would have to say Ok, but we could have done a lot better. It is just my opinion and some will disagree that is fine. As I said I am not criticising what we have signed I just don't think we have really addressed our problem areas and I just hope that being tight doesn't come and bite us on the arse for the rest of the season.

10. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

I honestly don't think the CB that Hull signed from Inter would have improved our team. when I looked up on him on the inter web most comments were saying that he's easily the worst CB in the league. also it's evident that the defensive issues were tactical because they seem to have been rectified under PC. Ideally yes a new CB would have been great but only if it's the right player at the right price.

I as everyone wanted a new CB but I also don't want to get a player that wouldn't improve us. As I see it no club at our level have bought a player that is better than what we already have.

Also I don't mind at all that people have different views to me. Feel free to debate and express your own, I don't take it personally at all. I love a debate because I think that you can get a good balanced view on things and see things from other perspectives .

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    ValleyGraduate12 likes this.

11. trundles left foot

I am not criticising what we signed but as with everything we seem to do recently it feels a little bit of that'll do.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  12. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

I know what you mean. Although, I think with the position we're in ATM we've done pretty good.

I think our league position affected our ability to sign the players we wanted. I've seen a few reports suggesting that a price has been agreed but the player had reservations joining a relegation threatened club.

13. trundles left foot

Again all I will say is Palace managed it and If I am honest I was hoping they wouldn't as I can see them going above us, I don't really buy this players wont come here, I think there are plenty out there if you really make the effort to look, I just think our scouting and transfer policy is basically lazy.

But we are where we are and at least we made a few signings, could have done nothing and the squad is looking better now.

14. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Turned out to be better than expected I think

Was meh, with the signing of Narsingh and initially disappointed when we signed Carroll and Olsson. The way they've hit the ground running along with the impact they've had on the team I have to admit, I did not see that coming.

Now, I'm thrilled with all three, each has shown their potential worth to the club and each has performed well and have been key to our recent good form. It feels like they've galvanised the team and kick started our season. Ayew, lets wait and see.

Taylor leaving, he's been a great servant to the club but I think it was time for him to go for his sake and ours. The club needed more from him than he could give so parting of the ways suites both. Good luck and best wishes.

Barrow, nearly but not quite, I don't think we'll miss him. Maybe Monk can get the best out of him. I though Monty would go before he did.

Emness, why we signed Ayew, not as cover for Loriente but to replace Emness.

Not fussed we didn't sign a CB, I think the ones we have can work it out.

On the whole I'm happy with all the ins, happy with all the outs and very, very happy that Siggy and Loriente stayed with us.

It seems like it has been a very good January for us but time will tell if its going to save our season, if it does then it will be the best transfer window we've ever had. First signs look good though don't they?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  15. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

It all depends on whether they will be enough to keep us in the premiership, If they do then they will be good signings and if we go down then they were not the right players.....One signing will make a difference and that is narsingh imo especially if he can link up with gylfi constantly like he did when he came on as sub.....there were good signs that he is good.......We should have got a couple of defenders though and a good leader... overall i think we did most of our strengthening, I hope.

DragonPhilljack and Stumpy like this.
  16. MasterOfNone

MasterOfNone Active Member

Think we've done ok as long as our centre backs stay fit.
    Was surprised that we sold Ryan Hedges. Thought he was meant to be a bright prospect for the future

DragonPhilljack and seabreeze like this.
  17. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

Well so far our new signings have been involved in 3 goals in the last two games. Looking good so far.

Carroll; assist Llorente goal and siggy goal Vs Liverpool (Ollson involved in the buildup)

Narsingh; assist Siggy's winning goal Vs Southampton

seabreeze and Stumpy like this.
  18. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I voted happy, not bothered we didn't sign a CB but disappointed we didn't sign a RB

seabreeze and Stumpy like this.
  19. NorfolkSwan

NorfolkSwan Well-Known Member

He's been on loan playing for Yeovil in League 2 for a while and hardly set the league alight, he's now 21 years old and since he;s been back has lost his place in the U21's to Daniel James I think? Seems like a sensible move if not for us then for the good of his career. I feel his progression had stalled over the last 2 years tbh...

Also, not sure about his DOB, but at around that age, he would need to be registered in our 25 if he ever wants to play in the 1st team...and would take up a "over-age" slot in the U21s match day squads...

20. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Same here , RB for me too. I think we'll do ok with Naughton and Rangel . Naughton can play back up left so another RB would have been nice . I like the idea of Olsson and Narsingh building the left side from scratch with both being first team starters I assume . Forging new combo's can be great .