1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Interesting article:

“According to The Mirror, Magath will order his players to postpone their holidays in an attempt to begin next season's preparations early, regardless of where we end up.

Magath is reportedly considering keeping his team at home for post-season training. The German coach is said to have become unhappy with his squad's fitness, and is weighing up the prospect of bringing them back for extra sessions when the campaign is over.”

If true, I reckon it’s not so much about fitness rather it’s getting them back in to assess who is staying and who is going.

2. Cottager58

Felix has been reluctant to discuss plans for next term until Fulham's fate is known, but he is apparently keen for Steve Sidwell to stick around at Craven Cottage. When asked whether he wanted to retain the former Chelsea man, he said: "Yeah sure, there is no doubt about that. Steve is a good player for us and I would be glad if he were signed for another season after this year."

However as we know Sidwell has already rejected a one-year extension to his contract so it’s very much ‘watch this space’.

Source: http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/magath-wants-sidwell-stay-7030051

3. Cottager58

I suggested in the "Players Out On Loan" thread that some senior Academy players who hadn't had much game time recently would benefit from a spell abroad with a team whose season extended beyond ours. It transpires that one of the players I mentioned, Dino Islamovic in fact is having a trial and a chance of a contract with Groningen.

"Fulham striker Dino Islamovic is enjoying his trial spell at Groningen and believes he would fit in well at the Dutch Eredivisie club.

The 20-year-old Swedish player, who Fulham signed from Malmo, began his trial spell with Groningen last week. "I'm looking for a club when my contract expires in Fulham. So I am looking around, seeing what options I have," Islamovic told Groningen TV. "I think I'm a good finisher and play good combination football. I like how Groningen plays. Dutch teams play the same way, they keep the ball and play it around, waiting for a good opportunity."

Source: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/dutch-chance-for-fulham-forward-1723711.html

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Am I reading this right? Does that mean we're letting him go? Those of you who watch the development squad, is this a good or bad move? I remember us signing him and he sounded like a good prospect - has he not developed the way we hoped for him?

5. Cottager58

Certainly looks as though we're letting him go, Captain. Like you I thought he was a good prospect when he joined but for some reason it just hasn't happened this season. In the 21 U21 games he's only played in 7 and 5 of those were as sub. He's an out and out centre forward and not managed to score. So I can only assume that he's been overshadowed by others.

Think he's in a similar position to Omri Altman who we let go to Maccabi Tel Aviv at the begiining of the season. That is, nearly but not quite good enough to make the top level.

Still can't reconcile in my mind though, investing in players like this and then letting them go for "free".