1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Oct 17, 2013.

1. FulhamIreland

FulhamIreland Well-Known Member

Thanks Bidley, a very good day of business so. I think that means Berba is gone for good too as he is out of contract in the summer anyway.

Hopefully the two United players get confirmed although if that needed to wait until the summer, so be it.

I'll be going to bed happy anyway.

2. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Overall Transfer window.

Clint Dempsey Seattle Sounders LOAN
    William Kvist VfB Stuttgart LOAN
    Konstantinos Mitroglou Olympiacos Piraeus £11m
    Lewis Holtby Tottenham Hotspur LOAN
    John Heitinga Everton Free

Not confirmed yet
    Ryan Tunnicliffe (Ipswich Town) Man Utd
    Larnell Cole Manchester United U21

Out
    Phil Senderos Valencia
    Dimitari Berbatov Monaco
    Aaron Hughes QPR LOAN
    Taarabt AC Milan
    Ruiz PSV

Others mentioned
    Steven Defour FC Porto
    Tomás Rincón Hamburger SV
    Simon Zoller 1.FC Kaiserslautern
    Cristian Zaccardo AC Milan
    Danny Ings Burnley FC
    Neil Taylor Swansea City
    Ravel Morrison West Ham United
    Jeffrey Schlupp Leicester City
    Liam Moore Leicester City
    Simon Makienok Bröndby IF
    Zakaria Labyad Vitesse Arnhem
    Nicolas Isimat-Mirin Monaco

3. FulhamIreland

So effectively in January we've replaced:
    Ruiz with Dempsey
    Taarabt with Holtby
    Berba with Mitroglou
    Hughes with Burn
    Senderos with Heitinga

Also we got Kvist and possibly 2 youngsters in too.

<applause> Ali Mac, Rene and Shad Khan.

4. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

A few days ago i was critical of Fulhams commitment in the transfer market,
    but looking at the ins and outs it looks like a good bit of buisness has been done.
    Congrats management team.

5. FulhamIreland

6. BobbyHerrera

BobbyHerrera Member

My transfer window highlight was the big Greek joining us over West Ham. They matched our bid and offered him better terms (higher wages); despite that, he chose us and turned them down. Now that's a fulhamish type player! That speaks volumes as to how attractive we are compared to rival teams.

7. BobbyHerrera

BobbyHerrera Member

Sounds promising.....

Former Manchester United goalkeeper Roy Carroll, who plays for Olympiakos, expects Mitroglou to be successful in England.

"I've known him for two years and he has played at the highest level in the Champions League and scored a lot of goals for us there," Carroll, 36, told BBC Radio 5 live.

"He has been the top goalscorer in Greece for the last two years and he is hungry and passionate about his football. He can score left or right-footed and also scored against Arsenal with his head."

The Northern Irishman says Mitroglou "knows where to be in the box" and it is "very hard to get him off the ball".

He added: "Eric Cantona was a great, great player - one of the best, but Konstantinos is very strong. I remember watching Cantona on television and he was holding the ball up - that's the type of player Konstantinos is.

"Against Anderlecht in the Champions League, he had three chances and scored three goals. He just needs one chance and he scores it. Fulham need a goalscorer and they've got one."

8. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

I don't understand how you guys can be pleased...

We never got a LB...gutted.

Well done to all. We have some good players joining and also building for the future.

Thanks to the Chairman for making the funds available but also shows that the club is thinking strategically.

Renewed optimism!

9. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

In the end, we FFC has done some good trading, so well done to AliMac, Mr Khan, ReneM and the management.

We've got [an apparently] classy striker that the club appear to have been tracking a while, some sound signings and two youngsters that Rene knows very well from Old Trafford.

Hopefully, Tunnicliffe is as confident as his dad - he was the guy who placed £100 at 100-1 that his son, then aged 9, would play for ManU. #Fulhamish!

COYW!

10. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Well done to Fulham for very good transfer window of 2 days.

As already mentioned, the fact that the coaching staff recognised we needed to ship out the luxury players is great. I take back 'can't they see what we see' comment!

I not panicking now Mr Mainwaring! 3 points today would be huge!

11. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Top top stuff. Really pleased. Bidders I'll have custard with that humble pie please!

12. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Renewed optimism from me folks!

A couple of classy midfielders who look like they can spot a pass, a big Greek up top who knows where the goal is from 3 yards, a versatile defender (left footed) and a couple of promising youngsters who I would imagine will slot right in with the U21's who are going great guns.

A head coach who has his feet firmly on the ground who I hope will fashion a team out of everyone now with no huge egos involved.

Although I did knock him, Senderos did give 100% every time and I think it was C58 who worked out our win ratio with him playing was better than a lot of other players. I wish him well.

COYW.

13. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

I agree. A serious bit of business on the part of the manager and owner. I think anything less would have been conceding our EPL place to someone else. Heitinga and Holtby can immediately contribute for us, which is crucial to us staying afloat. Unloading deadwood like Ruiz, Berbs, Senderos, and Taarabt is great.

To me, the biggest gamble was Kostas Mitroglou for £12.4m. On paper, he's 25 and started out playing for a Bundesliga 1 team, so those are good things. The fact that he's been playing in a lower domestic league, and that only we and West Ham were interested, raises some questions. But if he was a sure thing, I'm sure we'd have had a lot more competition for his signature.

All in all, a good winter transfer I think. Aside from Heitinga, the people we've brought in are young, so we're building for the future.

14. Fred's Cultured Left Foot

Like everyone, I am very pleased with the window. The club have backed Rene and the team now looks in his image. Now the pocession and shots on target of recent weeks should convert to goals and the defence should be better with new blood and a boosted midfield. No more showboaters - just a good balanced team. What's more, a lot of our rivals at the wrong end of the table didn't have a good window. Onwards and upwards COYW

15. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Apparently Liverpool and Arsenal had sounded him out at some point too.

He is a bit of a gamble, but most players you sign for that kind of money are. You won't get a proven PL/Serie A/La Liga/Bundesliga goalscorer for £11m, if at all! I think his is the best pedigree we could've hoped for, certainly as he's been doing the business in the Champions League and on the international stage.

We wanted money spent, and we got it.

16. Cottagecravens

Taylor was done no apart from his misses going into labor or was that bollocks and Swansea just said no?

17. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

18. BobbyHerrera

BobbyHerrera Member

Clearly this isn't a January transfer window rumour, but I didn't want to be "that one" that prematurely set up a summer transfer rumour thread at this critical stage in the season.

Based upon the quality of targets, you'd like to think Felix is quietly confident we'll pull off the great escape and still be in the PL next season:

Fulham are eyeing up a double swoop on the Bundesliga, with manager Felix Magath setting his sights on midfielder Alex Meier, 31, from Eintracht Frankfurt and defender Ricardo Rodriguez, 21, from Wolfsburg.

Full story: The Sun (subscription required)

19. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

20. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I remember after the Great Escape season Roy admitted that the club had drawn up two lists of transfer targets: one for if we stayed up and one for it we go down. I'd be very surprised if the same isn't true this year.