1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Rumours about transfers, like putting up Christmas trees, seems to get earlier every year. Today Jol was asked about Wilfred Zaha who Moyes has allegedly said is not yet ready for the United first team:

"Martin Jol is not interested in taking Wilfried Zaha on loan from Manchester United because Fulham have too many wide players already. The Cottagers boss was asked about the out-of-favour England Under-21 winger at his Thursday press conference, but rejected reports that Fulham were one of several Premier League clubs interested.

Zaha has not played for Manchester United at all since a brief cameo appearance at the Community Shield back in August and is understood to be desperate to find some first-team action. His only competitive minutes since the start of the season have come in England colours and he was impressive again in the first half of the Under-21s 5-0 win over Lithuania at Portman Road on Tuesday.

However, Jol believes he has enough wide players at his disposal already with Alex Kacaniklic, Ashkan Dejagah, Damien Duff and Adel Taarabt vying for places in his starting line-up."

Source: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/boss-quashes-loan-rumour-1649621.html

2. FulhamIreland

FulhamIreland Well-Known Member

3. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

Don't think we should be relying too heavily on the loan market, although a lot depends on how things look come Christmas. If we are looking like genuine relegation candidates then I'll support whatever needs to be done to stay up - if we have a bit of daylight (here's hoping) then I'd rather see us looking a bit longer term.

Whether or not it is Jol's fault or a lack of available funds we've brought a few too many loanees and guys in their twilight for my liking in recent windows.

4. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

That story has no quotes from Jol whatsoever so take that with a pinch of salt. I like others, wish we would stop relying on loans, but the fact is, Zaha would be better than 99% of the wingers we already have and Jol would be an idiot to turn down the opportunity to sign him. He's young and very quick, which is exactly what we need on the flanks now that Dejagah has fallen out of favour. The prospect of facing Damien Duff on the wing is no longer a terrifying prospect for defenders.

5. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

Bandit i think that Zaha is to young for Jols consideration

6. Cottager58

The story and Jol's response are genuine Bandit. It's widely reported elsewhere since it came from a straight question put to him at today's press conference - I just happened to post that particular one.

As silky says, who knows whether things will change come Christmas.

PS Villa are the firm favourites to get Zaha.

7. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Makes sense, English backbone to the team, young players, him, Gabby, Benteke and Weimann would be a force to be reckoned with.

8. BobbyHerrera

BobbyHerrera Member

According to Sky Sports Sunday Paper Talk we're ready to make an offer for Burnley striker Danny Ings.

Plus Clint Dempsey wants a loan move back to the Premier League - we're battling with Everton and Tottenham for his signature.

9. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I used to watch Ings play for Bournemouth as an 18 year old - his emergence is the reason Dalla Valle's loan move there petered out with lots of games spent on the bench. He looked a fantastic prospect then. When he moved to Burnley, it seems like it took him a while to find his feet at that level, but he seems to be well on top of it now. He'd be a great addition to the squad - I'd certainly put him ahead of Rodallega - but it's hard to see where he would fit into a side that is already struggling to accomodate Berbatov and Bent. My only reservation, as when we were rumoured to be interested before his Burnley move, is whether he's ready to hit the Premier league running and how long it will take him to adapt. He was one of the players I most looked forward to seeing in his Bournemouth days though, so I'd be delighted to see him at the Cottage.

10. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Unfortunately, if we're still struggling in January, we may find it quite hard to sign the kind of players who can make a difference in this league; what quality player wants to join a team in the relegation scrap? Perhaps, though, we'll be able to get some quality young players on loan with an option to buy.

11. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

To be honest I can't see us spending a lot in January, this is down to the noises being made from Khans camp about sustainability and also the fact that I don't think Jol will have his contract renewed next year whether we stay up or not so it does not make sense to give him a large transfer kitty.... But the one thing I do think we need to address is the Left back position I would love to sign a younger player but who can also go straight into the first team the guy at Ipswich ( Aaron Cresswell) was getting rave reviews last season and has apparently started this year in fine form I wouldn't mind seeing us bring him in.

12. Captain Morgan

We were linked with Cresswell in the summer, Cookie, but were apparently put off by the asking price.

13. Cookie-6262

Any idea what that asking price was Captain?

14. Captain Morgan

The rumours at the time had us preparing a bid of £3.5m or thereabouts, while Ipswich were hoping for more like £5m. According to 'sources' at the time, we decided we didn't want to spend that much on a left-back, and that if we did sign someone we'd get better value for money by going abroad.

15. Cookie-6262

I'd happily spend £3.5 million on him, I know they want 5 but add a decent sell on clause and maybe a few extras (international caps etc) think they would consider! I reckon he wouldn't demand massive wages as well

16. Cottager58

On the home front, honts from Italy are that Berbatov may go in the January window:

"The Biancocelesti are set to make a move for want away Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov. The 32-year-old Bulgarian is looking for a move away from Craven Cottage in the hope of playing under the spotlight at a bigger club again.

Veteran striker Miroslav Klose could bring an end to his stint with Lazio this season, and the Biancocelesti are looking for replacements with Berbatov their number one priority, after it appears that Chelsea are the most likely club for Turkish striker Burak Yilmaz

[Remember him - we chased him last summer]

Source: http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2013/10/fulham-striker-sparks-interest-from-lazio/

17. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

That looks to me that the Italians are running dry of stories...

18. Cookie-6262

If we got decent bid for Berbatov I would take it ( I know controversial). I love Berbatov and at times he has been worth my money on his own, it's been a pleasure to watch him but .....

He is 32 years old so any decent fee should be considered
    A club our size shouldn't really be spending the reported £90000 a week wages
    There is a thought the team and others may actually play better without him

19. Cookie-6262

If we got decent bid for Berbatov I would take it ( I know controversial). I love Berbatov and at times he has been worth my money on his own, it's been a pleasure to watch him but .....

He is 32 years old so any decent fee should be considered
    A club our size shouldn't really be spending the reported £90000 a week wages
    There is a thought the team and others may actually play better without him

20. Cookie-6262

I think any offer for Berbatov has to be considered seriously ( controversial I know). I love Berbatov at times he has been worth my ticket money alone and it has been a pleasure but ....

He is 32 any decent fee has to be considered
    A club our size shouldn't really be paying the reported £90000 a week wages
    Many believe the team a few individuals would be better without him in the team

I have my bullet prove vest on now