1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January Activity - Plunge, Panic or Prepared.?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Dec 29, 2016.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

3 days approximately to go until the transfer window legally opens and we are promised by LJ, MA and DS that we are prepared for action, the scouting has been done, a list of possible candidates has been prepared, SL has given his approval, lastly will it be age and experience or youth and future value, anyway we're off, a minimum of 2 players at least have been promised by LJ.

This is the first time in a long age that I have no real idea who our targets are, who is available, what kind of spend we are contemplating but we all know the obvious areas we need to improve.

After reading this and other forums the poular choice people are advocating are a striker, goalkeeper, right back and defensive midfielder, in that order, closely followed by a left back, central defender, midfield ball winner. Plenty there to think about.

Then there is the question of whom to move on or let go, I have read that Little is a cert, Matthews back to Sunderland, Flint maybe sold (crazy) O'Donnell sold, Burns, Bryan and Reid plus others might be considered to sell or loan out.

How quickly will LJ plunge,will we enter the market early on a controlled spend, will he panic or will he wait until the end of the window and pick up cheaper options.

I know we have to act but I am in a complete haze as to how we should react, I like LJ but we really are up the creek and so far, in all honesty his record, while not a disaster is not very great.

I'd like to read your thoughts and ideas on the way forward in January.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Something that was mooted on here yesterday was should the club choose to remove LJ from his job, then should it be done before the Transfer Window even opens as other clubs have done previously ?

Personally I think he will be given until the end of January, but if things don't improve even with additions to the squad then we'll be even worse off with players onboard that a new man in charge might not want.

It has all the potential to get really messy !!

We need several new players from a keeper through to a striker but who will want to come here at the moment might be the biggest issue ?

3. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Junior has worked very hard in dreaming up or reading numerous books on Drivel, Bamboozle How to succeed in management etc ... he is in meltdown!
    so send him to Brazil for a week, Argentina for a week then a week in Mexico ...
    Put JP in charge along with DH as temporary helm's till he gets back ...cant get any worse than losing !
    Feb 1st he returns, gets a couple weeks to get used to things and picks his first team against Derby, hopefully we are mid table and get a draw!

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

One big headache for the powers that be.

Time to come out and sack or back.simple decision by SL and his board.

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

6. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Ouch, ouch and ouch again. Getting back to the original thread, I have this sickening feeling that we will blow away any advantage of getting some good transfer money in during the summer and I don't think Lee has the footballing smarts to understand that concern from us. All in all I can only see the mess worsening, but that could possibly be softened if Lee was sacked today, and I question the hiring of a new manager to improve our lot because we are hopeless at that as well. Saving face at Bristol City doesn't seem to matter anymore and I think I have many better things to do than concern myself with my lifetime club - and that really hurts.

Ouch, ouch and ouch again.

7. Red Robin

8. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Is it that crazy to cash in on Flinty? Think about it, if we did slide down into L1 his value would plummet, also if he went now, we have Ekstrand and Moore ready to step in, and finally he has made quite a few big errors this season, so if a £3-4 million bid came in, I really think we should consider it as we have sufficient cover there. Then go and invest that money on a striker.

Red Robin likes this.
  9. Red Robin

Moore is a more accomplished defender,will turn out to be much better than Flint.

10. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

if Flinty goes it will be for more than £5m ... BUT WE ARE BUILDING ...are we? or not?

11. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Good article, apart from one opinion which I DON'T agree with; I don't think our summer signings have been poor. Tammy? Tomlin? Magnusson? really?
    The jury is out on Moore and Engvall because they hardly feature - they could be unseen diamonds for all we know.

12. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure either that our summer signings were poor but rather not used as it said on the box when they arrived. It now looks as if the annual rebuilding that we constantly hear about is taking another turn down what has always been a dark and bumpy road and it still appears that we have no idea how to drive it or where it will take us. Mind boggling disorganisation.